Suzuki repower questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhendric

Reaction score
Guys, I've been mullin gover a repower of my 1996 2501 for quite a while now. I've considered every outboard out ther eat one time...thank you for humoring my previous posts...

At this point I am seriously considering twin Suzuki 175s. I am interested if any one has any performance numbers for twin 175s on the 2501 (or any Parker 25' deep v).

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of a Parker, but there is at least 1 261 mako running them and he's happy. Those are Big Block inline 4cyl motors. They weigh the same as the 150.

I bet you would get along just fine with twin 150's (or 140's THB). In any case, I don't have personal experience with the 175HP models, but all the Suzuki DF series motors we've used have been excellent.

Thanks guys, I guess the real question is would you expect that I'd loose much compaired to my old Yamaha 200 SS IIs? Right now I top out at 50mph and cruise comfortably at 3500 rpm at 28mph and I get a whopping 1 mpg...give or take .2....

Seems like there is one guy on this forum with a 2501 who was repowering to twin Suzuki 175s, but never put up numbers...

Well the 1st thing your gonna gain is space, because those old 2 stroke oil containers are a thing of the past. You will have a big enough space that a Gp27 battery will fit there.

The 2nd thing your gonna gain is quietness. I'm so use to my Suzuki's. I had a '98 DF-70. Now I have a '12 DF-90A and 2- '03 DF-140's. Then I got this Parker with a '95 VX 250 and DAMN that thing is LOUD!

Eventually it will be replaced with a DF-300.

I dont have a ton of #'s for you but I did repower my 2510 dv with df150 suzuki's . We normally run the boat at 4000 rpm, 28 mph @ 2.4 mpg . That is fully loaded with 240 gal fuel 2 guys 200lbs ice. funny thing is when we have run 2/3 of our fuel out we stil get 2.4 mph
I have a flow scan meter installed and it is pretty accurate it will be within 5 gal after burning 200 ( in our favor so I have not tried to get it any closer with adjustments )
We did run back from veatch canyon one day when it was flat calm and got these #'s 4700 rpm@[email protected]
I normally troll with one engine at 2000rpm @ 7-9knts and burn 5-6 gal per hour
The boat gets right up on plan and I would not consider getting a larger power plant option , but I am mainly looking for fuel mileage.
I may try to re-prop this coming season when I can get some other #'s . I would like to be able to run the boat at 4k and get 30mph . I think right now if I was 1/2 loaded and went to full throttle I would hit the rev limiter , fully loaded full throttle it will turn at 6k
hope this helps

That sounds like you can go up on the pitch. This will lower your RPM, but your fuel millage and speed will pick up.

You didn't say what props your running. Pull them and get them checked. Know "EXACTLY" what you have. Don't go by the stamping. Suzuki props are usually 1 to 2in of pitch under what is stamped on them.

Right now I have 15x21 , when you say speed and mileage will go up do you mean I will get better fuel mileage ?
when I first had them installed they put 151/2 x 18 and I could only get 2/3 throttle before I was at 6k . I thought I should have went right to the 23 pitch, but limited time to run the boat and test I went on their recommendation

I was thinking about seeing if I could have the prop shop in Fairhaven take the ones I have now and re-pitch them higher, instead of getting new and trying to sell the old ones

when you say speed and mileage will go up do you mean I will get better fuel mileage ?

Yes.....and yes you can have those repitched higher. It's about a $75ea job. I suggest that you don't have them ground and sanded on. They rust really fast if they do.

Think it was around 46mph but I dont know how accurate that is , I think that was on my speed / temp sensor on the garmin .

This year I plan on bring a log book to record my data better ,

Think it was around 46mph but I dont know how accurate that is , I think that was on my speed / temp sensor on the garmin .

Look at your Garmin in the menu.. There is a page that records the top speed, distance and other things. It will be accurate unless you left it on and trailered the boat.

One more question. What did you have on prior to your repower? How do the Suzys feel in comparison?

Ha! :) Which boat? I own 3 boats and 2 have Suzzy's.

DF- 140's
Finished008.jpg

DF-70

100_2499.jpg

New DF-90A

100_4264.jpg

soohoo":195t55hv said:
I was thinking about seeing if I could have the prop shop in Fairhaven take the ones I have now and re-pitch them higher, instead of getting new and trying to sell the old ones
I'd call New England Propeller, out of Plymouth, Mass. My bro used them to re-pitch his wheels on his twin-screw Yummie powered GW ... they took all the details of the motors, exisiting wheels, and the hull ... and they dialed in the re-pitch the 1st time, to where he was no more than 200 RPMs off the maximum at WOT. For the record, H&H Props on the No shore tried it a few times and failed miserably ...

NE Propeller
617-288-3132
Ron Peck (or his son Doug)

Tell them I sent you!

I use a shop here that has the right equipment. They can computer scan the prop. Here is the printout. This way you know exactly what you have.

I have had them do work in the past, just like a front end alignment.

I tell'em give me a print out BEFORE the work is done and AFTER the work is done.

Prop1.jpg

Thanks Dale I will,
I had ox66 150's was getting 1.6 mpg @ 30mph,

You can definitely tell the difference when powering through a wave/ wake or current , but mainly just the amount of throttle you need to get the job done . I do not feel I need more power . The biggest difference is I start to power earlier to keep the rpm's up going into a wave , as opposed to with the ox66's I would wait until I felt the engines load up, then power through . Just a different way of running the boat I guess.

I also run a 26' regulator in the keys with twin yamaha 250 . So I know what a larger engine package feels like ,I just dont think the 2510 set up is under powered with 150's , But again I am a fuel miser . I hate running the regulator we only get 1.2mpg and I still normally run the boat @30mph

But again I am a fuel miser
HaHa....I had to laugh.

I had ox66 150's was getting 1.6 mpg @ 30mph,............I hate running the regulator we only get 1.2mpg and I still normally run the boat @30mph

I wanna see at least 2.5 mpg @ 25MPH.

Interesting Soohoo...so is that to say the Suzukis have slower throttle response?

I dont think its throttle responce , I think in genneral 4 strokes opperate at a higher rpm range. What I am saying is when comming into port at the lowest rpm to stay on plane , you will have to increase your rpm earlier going into someones elses wake to stay on plane .
Its hard to explane , but its just a different way of using the power

Back