Swim platform removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pain Management

Reaction score
I was thinking of removing the platform to replace the rusted screws and give it a good cleaning. My question is when I put the new screws in should I just use some marine grade caulk or do I have to use something else like epoxy? Thanks all!!!

Croixboy":2p2hienq said:
I would use 5200.

But only if you think you'll never need to remove those screws again.
5200 contains a powerful adhesive that makes it about as close to permanent as it can be.

If you think that you might need to perform this maintenance sometime again in the future, I would use 3M 4200 or 4000 UV.
4200 contains the same sealant as 5200, but 4200 does not contain the adhesive, making it less permanent.

You can read more about these products here:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 8HT14PGTgl

If you think that you might need to perform this maintenance sometime again in the future, I would use 3M 4200 or 4000 UV.
4200 contains the same sealant as 5200, but 4200 does not contain the adhesive, making it less permanent.

I learn something new everyday on this site. I'm going to be a genius about boat repairs 365 days from now :lol:

I use 4200 because 5200 is too permanent. My platform is wood and has to be removed every other year to be resealed.

The windlass on my 2510 was sealed to the deck with 3M 4000. It is some absolutely great sealant. It took two oak wedges and a BFH to remove break the seal and remove the old windlass. There is a post around here in the projects forum about that.

Bottom line:
  • 5200 if you want it permanent;
    4200 if you want it semi permanent;
    4000 if you want to be able to remove the component and replace/rebed it in a few years.

Dave

aka

Back