Tacoma and a 2120

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddleon

Reaction score
I drive a Tacoma ( 6 cyl) and was wondering if this truck can handle a 2120 on a trailer?
Anyone else using something similar?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :D

I pull my 2120sc w/aTundra w/a small V8.
I haven't had any problems,but the Toyota's really have a problem w/brakeing.
Make sure your trailer has a VERY good brakeing system.
I know that my 04 Tundra requires trailer brakes over 1000lbs on the trailer.
From what I've noticed they need it!!
MJ.

Michaels observation is spot on. Most times it's not so much a problem pulling the boat as it is stopping it. His advice to make sure the trailer brake system is the best it can be is excellent advice. :wink:

Your Toyota will put it but do you really want to? If your doing short trips and not very often then you are probably ok. Frequent and longer trips you will want something bigger. A v8 will pull it with less strain on the engine and a heavier truck will manage the load better. The smaller trucks get pushed around by the load. Most v8 half ton full size truck weigh 1000 lbs more than your Tacoma. I'd go minimum half ton v8 full size if you plan to pull it with any regularity.

Stacy

I have the same truck and would not want to jeopardize the truck for the boat. Not much power and even less braking. Guys have played around with rear end gear changes in the Tacos to do these kind of things but then you lose your highway performance. Go out and buy a cheap old full size just to tow. They are a dime a dozen right now.

Yup, too small to stop it...I like when my tow vehicle will outweigh my tow load. Get a 2005 or newer for F-250 or bigger and they have the best braking system. Or I would put electric over hydro brakes on the trailer with controller in truck cab. This way you can adjust the amount of braking applied by the controller. Also if you decide to use the Tacoma put a transmission cooler on your truck so you do not fry the tranny.

I tow my 2120 with v6 nissan and it is ok for me but I only trailer 1 mile to the harbor. I would look into a v8 for any great distances.

Don't you have any friends with larger trucks that you could borrow? My F150 SuperCrew 5.4 L has plenty of power but is right at the bottom of the size/stopping power curve. I trailer lots of interstate miles and wouldn't feel safe in anything less. Get 4WD for pulling up wet, slick, steep ramps.

Thanks folks!
Survey says...Tacoma to small :?
Kind of figured that but had to ask.
I used my wifes bigger SUV to get the boat home last Wed and it did fine.

Looks like she has the tow vehicle :)

Back