Those of you with 23' boats... Do you own trailer or store?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Hall

Reaction score
I'm down to either 21 SE and 2300 DV, both for different reasons. 2300 is obviously a much bigger and heavier boat and passes tow capacity for current vehicles. 21 SE rationalized for fly fishing and mostly solo mornings before work, tow to Cape Cod, the 23 because it can accommodate friends and family, smoother ride, I'll never get 2 foot-itis. We have a pair of 6 year olds.

Wife actually is the one pushing for the bigger boat and likes the idea of not buying a trailer and having it pulled and trucked to our yard each season instead.

Looking for personal feedback on towing/storing a larger boat because I've never done that before. I've always done most of my own maintenance and winterization and feel I may be restricted without a trailer.

I'm in MA with a limited season. The idea of not buying and maintaining a trailer, parking in the yard empty all summer, certainly has perks.

Thanks for feedback and challenging any of my thoughts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Double Hall":3m3cwmwt said:
I'm down to either 21 SE and 2300 DV, both for different reasons. 2300 is obviously a much bigger and heavier boat and passes tow capacity for current vehicles. 21 SE rationalized for fly fishing and mostly solo mornings before work, tow to Cape Cod, the 23 because it can accommodate friends and family, smoother ride, I'll never get 2 foot-itis. We have a pair of 6 year olds.

Wife actually is the one pushing for the bigger boat and likes the idea of not buying a trailer and having it pulled and trucked to our yard each season instead.

Looking for personal feedback on towing/storing a larger boat because I've never done that before. I've always done most of my own maintenance and winterization and feel I may be restricted without a trailer.

I'm in MA with a limited season. The idea of not buying and maintaining a trailer, parking in the yard empty all summer, certainly has perks.

I been trailing my 23 since 2005. Let’s talk size. With boats bigger is better. You will only be sorry and be buying the larger boat later. The 23 is perfect! It’s rides better and you don’t have to worry about going through the inlet if needed. Trailers- there is no maintenance. Just wash with fresh water and be done. My trailer is 15 years old and done nothing but grease wheel bearing. If you get buddy wheel bearing- most trailers come with them. Get the 23 with trailer. To pay in and out $300 a season. Every time it $150 bucks. Even more if you bring boat to your yard. $500. Or $500 to store it. Then to wrap it $300. You could be spending $1000 a year. Buy the trailer and be done. I forgot- if you leave it at marina then your going to let them paint the bottom and then your going to let them Winterize motor. Really nothing to do to it. Let it drain and done. Let them tune it up also. Lol. Just got the bill for the new season for everything- $3,600. What !!! I could of bought a trailer. Lol.

Marty D":2n0a9gh6 said:
Double Hall":2n0a9gh6 said:

I been trailing my 23 since 2005. Let’s talk size. With boats bigger is better. You will only be sorry and be buying the larger boat later. The 23 is perfect! It’s rides better and you don’t have to worry about going through the inlet if needed. Trailers- there is no maintenance. Just wash with fresh water and be done. My trailer is 15 years old and done nothing but grease wheel bearing. If you get buddy wheel bearing- most trailers come with them. Get the 23 with trailer. To pay in and out $300 a season. Every time it $150 bucks. Even more if you bring boat to your yard. $500. Or $500 to store it. Then to wrap it $300. You could be spending $1000 a year. Buy the trailer and be done. I forgot- if you leave it at marina then your going to let them paint the bottom and then your going to let them Winterize motor. Really nothing to do to it. Let it drain and done. Let them tune it up also. Lol. Just got the bill for the new season for everything- $3,600. What !!! I could of bought a trailer. Lol.
I don't disagree with most of what you said, but clarifying I do my own maintenance and painting. It would be trucked to my yard for winter and tarped and winterized by me.

The issue is we have 6,200 lb tow limit with current vehicles and not going to buy a truck just for a boat twice a year. A Jeep Gladiator is the only one interesting to me and that is only 7,500 max which probably only barely meets requirements for the 2300 DV. I wouldn't own for at least a year or two.

15 years without any repairs to a trailer sounds like an exception. Most would need wiring and brakes at least once I'd think. There is also tax, registration, and insurance to owning a trailer that help offset transport costs.

It isn't a cut and dry solution which is why I appreciate other's experiences.

I think we have settled on the 23', so that is progress at least.

Hall

Double Hall":u23sk1c7 said:
Marty D":u23sk1c7 said:
Double Hall":u23sk1c7 said:

I don't disagree with most of what you said, but clarifying I do my own maintenance and painting. It would be trucked to my yard for winter and tarped and winterized by me.

The issue is we have 6,200 lb tow limit with current vehicles and not going to buy a truck just for a boat twice a year. A Jeep Gladiator is the only one interesting to me and that is only 7,500 max which probably only barely meets requirements for the 2300 DV. I wouldn't own for at least a year or two.

15 years without any repairs to a trailer sounds like an exception. Most would need wiring and brakes at least once I'd think. There is also tax, registration, and insurance to owning a trailer that help offset transport costs.

Hall

2008 Honda Pilot with 2020,000 miles that’s rated for under 5,000 lb has been my tow for 11 years. From NY to Delaware in 90 degrees.

Attachments

• 2846848E-B55B-4179-9DD2-86D202DE907F.jpeg
    2846848E-B55B-4179-9DD2-86D202DE907F.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 351
Marty D":1kfqrdle said:
Double Hall":1kfqrdle said:
Marty D":1kfqrdle said:
Double Hall said:

Hall

2008 Honda Pilot with 2020,000 miles that’s rated for under 5,000 lb has been my tow for 11 years. From NY to Delaware in 90 degrees.
Feeling better about the wife's V6 Grand Cherokee

Depends what the cost is to have it hauled and trailered to your house to put on stands and then taken off stands in spring and dropped into the water...also matters how far you tow. I am two miles to the ramp twice a year. My trailer that I got for 3500 in 2015 has paid for itself.

Blazman234":16u1xnt3 said:
Depends what the cost is to have it hauled and trailered to your house to put on stands and then taken off stands in spring and dropped into the water...also matters how far you tow. I am two miles to the ramp twice a year. My trailer that I got for 3500 in 2015 has paid for itself.
Trailer is approximately $4500, plus typical reg, tax, etc. I estimate $500 in maintenance every 5 years. Hauling is ~$225 per trip.

Between 2 and 5 miles to local ramps.

my 2320 is always trailered (with a f150) .
f90055542d8c492a333d4baf09d4c10c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mheltunen":1erwvvk7 said:

Wow, never painted bottom. How many days is it in water at any given time?

My trailer is 15 years old and done nothing but grease wheel bearing. If you get buddy wheel bearing- most trailers come with them.

People throw names around Generically. Lets Clarify.

This is a Buddy Bearing..... This is what you do NOT want.

100_1649.jpg

This is a Posi Lube spindle.....It's ID by the Hub cap with the rubber plug in the middle.

This is what you Do want.

100_1687.jpg

How it works.

cuthub.gif

Marty D":cbetxgn9 said:
mheltunen":cbetxgn9 said:

No it was never bottom painted. It’s only in the water for 2-3 days max and only freshwater.

mheltunen":255r3v8o said:
Marty D":255r3v8o said:
mheltunen":255r3v8o said:

No it was never bottom painted. It’s only in the water for 2-3 days max and only freshwater.

Do you seal the hull ?

warthog5":t6q3nerk said:
My trailer is 15 years old and done nothing but grease wheel bearing. If you get buddy wheel bearing- most trailers come with them.

People throw names around Generically. Lets Clarify.

This is a Buddy Bearing..... This is what you do NOT want.

100_1649.jpg

This is a Posi Lube spindle.....It's ID by the Hub cap with the rubber plug in the middle.

This is what you Do want.

100_1687.jpg

How it works.

cuthub.gif
Great idea. Works great -BUT —- if and when and it will happen- it clogs. Then no grease come out and bearings freeze up. Like I said. It’s a great idea but I will use my buddy grease hubs.

The thru spindle lube system is definitely nice. Personally I don’t have that on my trailer so I remove/inspect and repack the bearings every other season. I’m in freshwater so I can push it bit farther than you salt water guys can.

I do not seal the hull with anything other than wax. 99% of the season I launch and retrieve each day. Only time it does sit in the water is if we do decide to slip it for a tournament. And that’s only for a night or two. When not in use I keep her stored inside with all the hatches open so it drys well.

mheltunen":20iajofk said:
I do not seal the hull with anything other than wax. 99% of the season I launch and retrieve each day. Only time it does sit in the water is if we do decide to slip it for a tournament. And that’s only for a night or two. When not in use I keep her stored inside with all the hatches open so it drys well.

I also ask when I see a Parker older then mine. Gas tank, have you replaced it yet ?

Marty D":1xnsxd1o said:
mheltunen":1xnsxd1o said:

I also ask when I see a Parker older then mine. Gas tank, have you replaced it yet ?

Not yet. No signs of leaking yet but I’m anticipating that project at some point

mheltunen":3c3w8ki7 said:
Marty D":3c3w8ki7 said:
mheltunen":3c3w8ki7 said:

Not yet. No signs of leaking yet but I’m anticipating that project at some point

I seal those pie plates with silicone all season when boat is in water then in September I will open and put a fan and dry out. Those O rings leak !!!! Two days with them open it’s dry !! I’m hoping to get 5 more years.

BUT —- if and when and it will happen- it clogs. Then no grease come out and bearings freeze up.

Ya know , your the 2nd person I've heard that from. The 1st was from a guy that worked for a trailer manufacture.

"Ez Loader" EZ Loader STILL puts Bearing Buddies On. :(

I think this could happen.....BUT Only when the owner neglects their trailer. Neglecting the trailer would include not Flushing the spindles.
Both the trailers I converted....IE: changed the axles were EZ Loader trailers....They were both bought Used.

Never Ever would I buy one New.

The same can be said for the zerk fittings on your outboard.

We All know....There are people that maintain their stuff and then their are people that put their boats up wet and end of the season....Never touch them....Take them to the ramp the next year and wonder why the wheel fell off or the motor will not start.

As to the grease freezing up....... Never Ever have I seen it! Posi Lube is the Superior set up.

I inherited a Loadmaster (built in Port Clinton, OH) for my 2000 Parker 2300 CC and have had only one issue with the surge drum brakes locking up during storage all summer. My fault, I backed it in to position and neglected to jerk it forward to release the brakes before uncoupling. I'd recommend buying the trailer you'll be money ahead in a matter of years.

Also, I've towed it short distances (< 10 miles) with my 2002 GMC Envoy with an L6 engine and had no issues. It also has a tow capacity of 5,200 pounds max, and my rig weighed in at 6,600 pounds when I had it scaled. You definitely know its there and you MUST be careful of stopping distance requirements. Its no problem accelerating, its safely stopping that much weight is what the vehicle was not designed to do. When making a longer trip I borrowed my brother in laws Chevy Suburban and it was like night and day ... felt like I was towing a little jet ski behind me.

Good luck you'll the 23 footer ...

Back