Torque wrenches??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltyfish

Reaction score
Do folks doing their own maintenance use a torque wrench on the lower unit plugs? What about spark plugs?

I saw postings about Yamaha changing the gasket material for drain plugs to black plastic - that might be less forgiving with a 1/4 turn too much.

THANKS,

Bryce

I use a inch lb torque wrench to install the oil drain plug on my Suzuki's. I also use a ftlb torque wrench to install a prop.

Brent said:
Warthog....who makes the wrenches you bought? ]

You can buy torque wrenches anywhere good hand tools are sold. The better the quality the more they cost, like every other tool. Some auto stores rent more expensive tools. You might ask if you only use one occasionally.

For those with adjustable torque wrenches, remember to adjust it to about 10-20% of its maximum setting for storage to assist in preserving accuracy.

Lets say your torquing a prop nut

You know you have to line up the slot for the cotter key. The goal is 40ftlbs.

I set the wrench at 38ftlbs. Hit the click and then slightly tighten more for the slot alignment.

johnkn":3rnjgi8c said:
For those with adjustable torque wrenches, remember to adjust it to about 10-20% of its maximum setting for storage to assist in preserving accuracy.

Anyone ---

I thought for clickable torque wrenches when you are using it at 70 ft/lbs for example and finished with the job, the tool is adjusted to back 0 (zero) for storage. Is this correct? or how do you store it?

For something as critical as a torque wrench I wouldn't trust Harbor Freight, I would spend the extra money and get a good one if you take care of it you will not have any problems

Prop nut 40 ft lbs then proceed to the hole for the cotter pin.

For the lower unit fill and drain pugs I grind the tip of a larger common screwdriver so it fits nice in the slot. The new washer they give you at Yamaha are very hard and do not crush. Don't use the old ones. When you tight them the head of the drain plugs will leave a very small crease/slight imprint and if you reuse them the crease/imprint may not line up perfectly with the drain plug head which may allow water into the LU. Use new washers no matter what the old ones look like.

When tightening the LU drain/fill plugs once they seat against the washer that is about as far as you are going because as said they don't crush. Just give a decent twist......it won't go much and you're done. Taking them out is a good indication of how tight you'll get them. Although there is a specification, a torque wrench is not really practical with the new washers.

Back