Tracking at Low Speeds

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkerman

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem? When I run at low speed in a no wake zone or other my boat "tracks" or steers terribly. Trying to go strait takes a lot of effort. It seems like it wanders all over the place. When we are in a narrow canal we zig zag all over the place. Not that it is good practice but you can't leave the wheel for even 10 seconds or you could be sitting on the bank. Any suggestions?

FWIW that is a natural phenomena typically called "deep-V wander" or bow steer, specially prevalent on V-hull boats. It is a tendency for boat to alternately turn to the left and right at idle/headway speeds.

Think of is as 'high speed porpising' but happening sideways to the boat and only at low speeds. Besides the hull design itself, motor height, trim, prop pitch & design, and other factors can make this really a nuisance or less a nuisance. FWIW when running at headway speeds my motor is trimmed up high, but more so to life the prop out from below the hull and tuck it behind the hull, but off the bracket. Increases my fuel mpg significantly, like 10-30%.

My old boat, 25' Whitwater (24 degree) single engine used to do that terrible.

I found that by putting the tabs all the way down when going up the river helped. Try it out. It may work.

The 2530 with twins doesn't do it that bad to warrant full tabs.

my 21 center console before did it and i think most of it has to do with the size and weight of the boat being affected more with the wind waves and current. Also imagine pushing something from a single point and how quickly that if not perfectly aligned the item would move. try doing it with a shopping cart next time. well thats whats going on with your single engine boat as well. Like bryan said twin engine boats dont wander as much again from two points pushing forward.

DaleH":3lp3c2ie said:
FWIW that is a natural phenomena typically called "deep-V wander" or bow steer, specially prevalent on V-hull boats. It is a tendency for boat to alternately turn to the left and right at idle/headway speeds.

Think of is as 'high speed porpising' but happening sideways to the boat and only at low speeds. Besides the hull design itself, motor height, trim, prop pitch & design, and other factors can make this really a nuisance or less a nuisance. FWIW when running at headway speeds my motor is trimmed up high, but more so to life the prop out from below the hull and tuck it behind the hull, but off the bracket. Increases my fuel mpg significantly, like 10-30%.

All deep vee boats will wander at idle speed somewhat. The deeper the vee, the more the wander. One problem most boaters have is, they over correct. The boat starts to wander and they crank the wheel in the opposite direction to correct. It takes a moment for the input of the wheel to catch up and the boat then goes too much in the other direction. A simple rule is to make minor corrections and to increase speed slightly. You will have more thrust from the prop and it will overcome the wander.

optimaxfish":1u41i1oq said:
B-Faithful":1u41i1oq said:
optimaxfish":1u41i1oq said:
twins do wonders for tracking a straight line at any speed.

So does length to beam ratio...

excellent point :wink:

I have no idea why everyone seems to want a 24' boat 9'6" wide :shock:

Boy! You are correct. People have been over sold on the super wide boats. I have read in multiple articles that the ideal ratio of length to beam is 3:1. Assuming this is correct, a 24 foot boat should have a beam of no more than 8 feet. Manufactuers have sold the public on the great size based on the beam of the boat. Great marketing on their part but, not great design. The same can be said of the marketing of "wood free" boats. If a boat is built well it can be entirely of wood and out perform any plastic boat.

Every 25 mod v parker I have been on has tracked true. (I cannot speak for the deep v). I do wonder if it has an impact on the 21 deep v being that the ratio is under 2.5:1. (25 parkers are over 2.5:1 at 2.66+:1). Of course many other factors play a roll in tracking issues. Some of which have been discussed previously.

On my boat, a large part of the problem is over correction. If I let go of the wheel, she'll wander back and forth but overall maintain a pretty consistent direction. Trying to eliminate the wander altogether can end up being quite frustrating.

Bow down helps me (motor and tabs).

jeffnick":3g3ihs2t said:
On my boat, a large part of the problem is over correction. If I let go of the wheel, she'll wander back and forth but overall maintain a pretty consistent direction. Trying to eliminate the wander altogether can end up being quite frustrating.

Bow down helps me (motor and tabs).

You hit the nail right on the head! :wink: Just wait and she will come back around.

Meh.

My boat (2510 DV) will track straight as an arrow on one engine or two at idle speed. It is a twin, but it doesn't seem to matter if I run on one or two engines (I frequently run my fairway on one engine to keep the speed down, and it is only about 25 feet wide which makes it interesting to dock and undock - I would notice a wandering bow).

Back