Trailer Issue/Mishap Bleeding Trailer Hydraulic Brakes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
Took my boat to Charleston last weekend (I move on July 3) to put it in the marina. Sometime on the trip something unseen on the road, I guess, snagged the brake line and snapped it from the left wheel. It was an overnight trip so I really didn't have time to inspect it fully. Hopefully I can use the hard line and just replace the rubber lines at the end of the hard line at the hub.

I guess my question is how in the world do I bleed the brake lines? Theres obviously no fluid in the cylinder because when I brake the actuater easily slides, there's just no back pressure to actuate the brakes. Anyone have a manual way of putting pressure on the actuater to bleed the brakes? My only thought was to chalk the trailer wheels real good and try to slowly ease the actuater back with the truck.

Anyone bled their trailer brakes?

John

Rangerdog,
I've used two approaches to bleeding trailer brakes -

1. Use a 6' piece of 2X4 to push in the actuator while one person loosens the fitting on the inside of the caliper. I used the safety chains to hold the 2X4 thus creating a fulcrum to push on the actuator. This requires two people.

2. Buy a cheap (less than $50.00) brake bleeder tool from Northern Tool or some other auto parts store (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 590_391590). They have manual ones and also ones that hook to an air compressor. I have the one that hooks to the air compressor. This effectively turns it into a one man job and saves a ton of headaches. This is the model I have http://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-Bleeder ... ke+bleeder at Amazon for $22. Well worth it and I've used it on cars and trailers.

Steve

I used the bow strap and it worked great pulls it back and never slips forward took 10 min myself clip it to the coupler open bleeders cranck it back close bleeders repeat until air is gone watch fluid level it goes quik

sam3":1v171g5e said:
I used the bow strap and it worked great pulls it back and never slips forward took 10 min myself clip it to the coupler open bleeders cranck it back close bleeders repeat until air is gone watch fluid level it goes quik

Neat idea!

Steve

Back