Transom bolt resealing

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longislandfish

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone could shed some light on resealing my transom engine through bolts the correct way. I recently moved my motor up a hole as the motor looked a bit low and the AC plate was subsurface while on plane.

while doing the adjustment I used an old trick by placing a few blocks of wood under the skeg to support the weight then unbolted the motor and cranked the trailer jack up, this raised the transom while the motor remained static. Anyhow I took my time to clean the bolts with wire brush and then coated the shanks of the bolts wit life caulk (polysulfide) and applied a nice bead under the washer of the bolt head and created a nice fillet that created a nice gasket around the bolt head. The issue that I am concerned about is the outside of the transom, I was not able to hoist the motor off and apply a bead around the inside of the motor mounting bracket, I did my best to apply copious amounts around the keyed slot for the bottom bolt but find myself worried that the seal isn’t sufficient.

I let the sealant setup for many weeks and then came back and retorqued to 45 ft lbs with torque wrench without letting the bolt spin.

should I pull the motor off the right way and perform the procedure with a hoist or should I not worry about rotting the core Out.

Post a photo. It sounds like you did a good job.

I would say your good to go. Been trying to get the energy up to do the same. Mine sits too low in my opinion and may even need to go 2 holes.Screenshot_20220602-222034_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
was wondering if anyone could shed some light on resealing my transom engine through bolts the correct way. I recently moved my motor up a hole as the motor looked a bit low and the AC plate was subsurface while on plane.

while doing the adjustment I used an old trick by placing a few blocks of wood under the skeg to support the weight then unbolted the motor and cranked the trailer jack up, this raised the transom while the motor remained static. Anyhow I took my time to clean the bolts with wire brush and then coated the shanks of the bolts wit life caulk (polysulfide) and applied a nice bead under the washer of the bolt head and created a nice fillet that created a nice gasket around the bolt head. The issue that I am concerned about is the outside of the transom, I was not able to hoist the motor off and apply a bead around the inside of the motor mounting bracket, I did my best to apply copious amounts around the keyed slot for the bottom bolt but find myself worried that the seal isn’t sufficient.

I let the sealant setup for many weeks and then came back and retorqued to 45 ft lbs with torque wrench without letting the bolt spin.

should I pull the motor off the right way and perform the procedure with a hoist or should I not worry about rotting the core Out.
Did you mean it lowered your transom while your motor was suspended in place on blocks?

Very curious. I have done this to 2 motors. I hope you took some cold hard data "before.". All I noticed was more ventilation in rough seas and turning. I wish I had left them alone.

Latest posts

Back