transom design on a 2320 w/ 225 Yami

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lruzzelli

Reaction score
Other than the water washing in over the notched open transom is there any pros or cons of the main motor mounted on the transom vs the straight transom with the full platform and the motor and kicker mounted there? ie: weight distribution or planning, porpoising?

I for one would not buy another boat with an open transom. Some people claim a boat with the motor mounted directly on the transom tends to ride better then one mounted on a bracket. My father inlaw has a 2120 no bracket and I think his boat rides better then my 2320. I don't know if its because of the bracket or not. Again it inst enough of a difference for me to ever go back to an open transom boat. Just my .02

miky2884":2cb2156p said:
I for one would not buy another boat with an open transom. Some people claim a boat with the motor mounted directly on the transom tends to ride better then one mounted on a bracket. My father inlaw has a 2120 no bracket and I think his boat rides better then my 2320. I don't know if its because of the bracket or not. Again it inst enough of a difference for me to ever go back to an open transom boat. Just my .02

I agree

I have a 2120 love the boat and having the motor on the transom you get better steering response
But with that said having a solid transom is safer and having the storage and swim platform is a big plus
If they made a 2120 with a solid transom I would by another one for the little better fuel economy then the 2320
However now If I "was" in the market I would buy the 2320 mainly for the solid transom and the dive platform
The extra length would be a secondary bonus because I comfortable with the 2120 size

solid transom

Please change the wording to match the actual subject.

It should read "FULL" transom or "Notched" transom. These are the proper words.

We hope ALL transoms are Solid in their construction.

Shorter length boats don't do as well with a Full Transom and bracket. It throws the weight off.

What is the reason you'll never own an open transom again?
I don't own a Parker but I'm shopping and most of the 2120s have the open transom but there is a 2320 out there that has the open transom and most of the 2320s have full transoms. The new 2013 2320s come w/ the full transom and swim platform w/ Yami mounted on it as a standard feature. But some have an after market hydrofoil plate mntd on the main motor anticavitation plate. Is that used to reduce porpoising or what? I'm up in my years and I'm only going to get one chance to make the right decision for my purchase.

I like the security of a full transom boat. I can fish 5 guys on my boat and the deck remains completely dry important for fall black fish season here in the noreast.My last boat I always had to worry about taking on water through the transom when anchored and having to many guys standing in the back of the boat.I have fished my father inlaws 2120 many of times and I have to admit it is pretty good in terms of water coming in through the transom but in a decent sea it does come in eventually.
Also the amount of space you gain is huge.

The only 2120 out on the market with a full transom is Steve's from CT which is actually for sale. It is not factory but it was done 100% correctly.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12796

If you are going to go with a 2320 instead of a 2120 I would hands down not settle on one with out a full transom.

Thanks Mike, I will keep my search for a 2320 with a full transom. I had a gut feeling about the open transom and the water intrusion and deck space but your statements helped.
Soooooo! I have more shopping to do.

miky2884":2j96j3q9 said:
If you are going to go with a 2320 instead of a 2120 I would hands down not settle on one with out a full transom.

WTH Mike. . .. .my boat is a notched transom. .. . .you calling it junk??!! :lol:

. . .. .okay. ..I got a great deal when I bought my boat last year. . . .and I love it. BUTTTT. . .. like every boat I have owned there's pros and cons. The notch in the transom. . ...jury is still out on this one. All my boats have had them and I don't go offshore, so I feel safe whenever I go out. Having said that. . . . .I did go to Block a few times last year in . . .. less than desirable conditions, and did get a lot of water through the notch. The splash well kept it ALL out of/off the deck and it drained quickly, so there were no worries. The way I see it is Parker builds a great boat .. . . .it's up to us (owners) to know and understand the limitations of each of them. I think I know mine. . . ... .my wife thinks different!

. .....the splash well definitely eats up deck space. Not sure if I want to pull it out and do a mod like some of the members here have. I'll fish her another season before I decide. I definitely see the benefits of having a full transom. . . ..safer, more deck space, more storage, cuts down (engine) noise, etc. The only con I could see to having a full transom would be if your marina would charge you extra $$ for the added length. .. . .. but then again. .. .if you are getting a full transom for safety reasons a few extra dollars . .. . well worth it.

. . .. ....I looked at the new 2320's at the Providence Boat show . . ..didn't care for them. I like my pilothouse much better!! There's not much of a step down, so I rarely bang my noggin entering. Mine also has the full 'wall' to the cuddy which I prefer. . . .mine just felt. . .roomier.

. . ...so all in all I love my boat, but wouldn't mind if it were a full transom. .. ....maybe when Bryan finds his next boat. .. .Mike will buy his and I can buy Mikes. . .. . .and. . . .....

Shannonigans":lbzbjyzl said:
miky2884":lbzbjyzl said:

WTH Mike. . .. .my boat is a notched transom. .. . .you calling it junk??!! :lol:

. . .. .okay. ..I got a great deal when I bought my boat last year. . . .and I love it. BUTTTT. . .. like every boat I have owned there's pros and cons. The notch in the transom. . ...jury is still out on this one. All my boats have had them and I don't go offshore, so I feel safe whenever I go out. Having said that. . . . .I did go to Block a few times last year in . . .. less than desirable conditions, and did get a lot of water through the notch. The splash well kept it ALL out of/off the deck and it drained quickly, so there were no worries. The way I see it is Parker builds a great boat .. . . .it's up to us (owners) to know and understand the limitations of each of them. I think I know mine. . . ... .my wife thinks different!

. .....the splash well definitely eats up deck space. Not sure if I want to pull it out and do a mod like some of the members here have. I'll fish her another season before I decide. I definitely see the benefits of having a full transom. . . ..safer, more deck space, more storage, cuts down (engine) noise, etc. The only con I could see to having a full transom would be if your marina would charge you extra $$ for the added length. .. . .. but then again. .. .if you are getting a full transom for safety reasons a few extra dollars . .. . well worth it.

. . .. ....I looked at the new 2320's at the Providence Boat show . . ..didn't care for them. I like my pilothouse much better!! There's not much of a step down, so I rarely bang my noggin entering. Mine also has the full 'wall' to the cuddy which I prefer. . . .mine just felt. . .roomier.

. . ...so all in all I love my boat, but wouldn't mind if it were a full transom. .. ....maybe when Bryan finds his next boat. .. .Mike will buy his and I can buy Mikes. . .. . .and. . . .....

hahah NOT AT ALL!!! Everyone has the preferences. I just knew from fishing on Bryans boat that when I was searching for mine I wasn't going to settle for one with out a bracket.
2520 has a lot more PH room especially compared to the newer 2320's. I personally dont care for the new style and also took that into consideration when looking. I have a lot more head room in mine then the newer ones and I prefer the full bulkhead helm rather then the Console style helm on the new models. Again all preference!

I dont need to own Bryans boat I just need him to own it so I can fish it anytime I want :D

Mike---I'm in Ca. and will be fishing 95% in the Pacific. There are fewer Parkers for sell out here and transportation costs can cost $3 a mile, which includes insurance, if I find the right boat on the east coast.

Thanks Mike. I saved that info. If you know of a 2320 w/trailer let me know.

Full transom and bracket will give go a lot more space on the boat, but it will be 2+' longer. handling around the marina will be a little better with the notched transom.

Not sure about the 21's and the 23's. But the 25's have a 30 inch motor on the notched transom. You need to TRY HARD to get water ofer the stern. I routinily back down into a heavy current and seas and it's never gotten me scared. On older boats..... different story.

If you have the bracket you'll be paying to slip a much larger boat. The guy behind me pay for a 33 for his 25 with bracket (motor up + pultit).

It does add some nice space and additional storage however...

Back