Truck advise

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pnltbox

Reaction score
Need some advise, I have a 2120 sc, I am towing it with a 05 Dodge ram 2500 diesel, and have had no problems towing it, But the truck is going away, its having electrical issues, What do you guys recommend? Been looking at the new Ram 1500 with the diesel, (28mpg) but I am worried that it won't handle it, The boat hanging at the slip reads 6985# with trailer 7900lbs, new Dodge 1/2 ton has 10,500 towing max.

First, I would think the new Ram 1500 would be fine for towing the 2120. That said, I can understand not wanting to push the limits. How far are you intending to tow is the big question? If you plan on crossing mountain ranges or regularly towing hundreds of miles, then maybe something heavier would be in order? If just locally the majority of the time, then the 1500 should be fine. Also, your weights seem high but I've never scaled mine. I've always ball parked it at about 4,500 lbs + the trailer at about 1,100 additional lbs?? I use a 2013 Chevy Equinox with a 4 cyl to pull mine in and out. From storage yard to ramp I only go less than a mile on quiet local road and only go about 25 mph tops. I use my wife's new 4wd Explorer if I need to take it to the shop or anything else around town as using my Equinox would be totally unsafe. The Explorer is only rated for 5K but around town mostly under 50 mph it's not bad. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 766
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 766
Since you put yours on a scale to verify her weight, you are way ahead of most folks.
Using the manufacturers published weight figures is a good start, but they do not account for the weight 'as-used'.
Everything from fuel to fishing and safety gear to coolers and all of the 'stuff' we carry all adds up.

As Shawnee indicated, much will depend on how far and where you intend to trailer.

Something else that will help...
Take your boat and trailer to a specialty trailer dealer and spend the money to have the trailer set up properly.
I don't know of a single boat dealer who does this for their customers (tho they should).

Back in 2002 I bought a 17 Dusky that I pulled with my 1999 Jeep Cherokee.
The Cherokee pulled it fine, but I was never happy with the handling so I took the rig to a trailer dealer local to me for custom set-up.
This particular dealer had a travel lift and a set of scales and they moved my bunks as well as the axle and winch post until the boat was balanced properly on the trailer, and it had the proper tongue weight.

What a difference it made! It was like a whole new rig after that.
Once you get your boat and trailer set up professionally, I would bet that 1/2 ton P/U would do just fine.
Just make sure that your trailer brakes are up to the task (something else the trailer folks can help with).

Good luck!

I pull my 2120 with my 08 Ram 2500 diesel and it is a perfect fit. My boat is probably one of the lighter things I pull.
I have had a Ram gas 1500 years ago and will agree IF your not over weight then you should be ok for local pulls and not over mountains as your breaks will not last very long.
Now for the weight issue. I absolutely love this forum and respect everyones views but I have to disagree with pulling anything over the weight limits of your vehicle. That is begging for disaster and you will get very hurt and can kill others in a quick hurry.
Don't do it at all. The problem is two fold.
One, when you crash and a good crash investigator will look at your towing capacity and the weight of what you are towing. Now you have problems with the law and civil damages from the other party due to gross negligence.
Two, you will get accustom to pulling with short distances and forget one day and go to far. Here come mayhem from Allstate, he jumps on your boat and starts steering it himself through an intersection.
Do yourself and others a favor don't take any chances with this. Truly no offense to anyone.

Gobbler66":3rcs3tlr said:
I pull my 2120 with my 08 Ram 2500 diesel and it is a perfect fit. My boat is probably one of the lighter things I pull.
I have had a Ram gas 1500 years ago and will agree IF your not over weight then you should be ok for local pulls and not over mountains as your breaks will not last very long.
Now for the weight issue. I absolutely love this forum and respect everyones views but I have to disagree with pulling anything over the weight limits of your vehicle. That is begging for disaster and you will get very hurt and can kill others in a quick hurry.
One, when you crash and a good crash investigator will look at your towing capacity and the weight of what you are towing. Now you have problems with the law and civil damages from the other party due to gross negligence.
Two, you will get accustom to pulling with short distances and forget one day and go to far. Here come mayhem from Allstate, he jumps on your boat and starts steering it himself through an intersection.
Do yourself and others a favor don't take any chances with this. Truly no offense to anyone.

Can't disagree with any of this Gobbler. My nerves are pretty ramped up every time I tow mine due to what you stated. Worse for me is I'm not supposed to tow with my Equinox at all as its my company car. It does provide me with a free 4.5 hr each way trip back and forth to the coast though. :D Being cheap is going to be my undoing. For that short run to the ramp and back I never crack 25 and I can stop it pretty darn quick. Usually can make the run without even passing a driving car. I would definitely never get on any kind of busy road at normal speeds as it would be totally unsafe for sure. So far I have only had to tow it with the Explorer 1 time when I had my motor raised and needed a lift at the shop. It was country roads and low traffic and I was able to keep it in the 45 mph or under range. Same thing though, it was stressful as I knew I was overloaded, although not nearly as bad as with the Equinox. If I could just talk my wife into a truck....I tried but she wouldn't go for it. It's no fun living on the edge. I wouldn't advise anyone to do as I do, listen to Gobbler!

Thanks Guys,
Capt Kevin, every time we use the sling the weigh us as they have a 10,000lb limit, I was shocked when I saw the scale. I usually tow it to the marina launch and leave it there for 6 months then tow home, but this year we will be headed to the ocean, Neah Bay about 250 miles and the last 100 is a snakes back! lots of 10mph corners and hills.

Pnltbox, I agree with Megabyte about weight with as used can be much heavier than thought. Maybe you can run your rig by a truck stop sometime and unhook from the boat to check your total weight. All of the stuff we put on our boats definitely adds up but I think that sling scale may be off or Parker could be too?? May not be, but this would give you a second opinion. If it turns out you are 1K lighter it may influence your decision. I was reading the performance bulitens on the new 2120's see below. It doesn't make sense as the heavier motor shows the next to the lightest weight?? Maybe another reason not to completely rely on the manufactures listed weights?

All listed tested with full fuel 2 batteries and safety equipment.
1. F150 XA motor = 491lbs?? Total as tested = 4647 lbs
2. F200 XB motor = 489 lbs?? Total as tested = 5008 lbs
3. F200 XA motor = 608 lbs?? Total as tested = 4937 lbs

I tow my 27 Judge with a Toyota Tundra. I love the truck even after 85+k miles. Heck I have made a ton to trips to Point Lookout from Annapolis a ton of times this fall alone. I actually like towing with the truck more than a 3/4 ton/

Only thing that stinks is she got 7.8mpgs towing the full trip last time. (ran a lot at 65mph).. I also wish it had a larger fuel tank and the brakes are $$$

Attachments

• trailering.jpg
    trailering.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 710
Something else that will help...
Take your boat and trailer to a specialty trailer dealer and spend the money to have the trailer set up properly.
Capt. Kevin's gave good advice about trailer setup, as it makes for better equipment and tire life, easier driving and helps maximize safety. I'm a huge believer in paying attention to this part of towing anything, including my boats.
For the use you describe, I'd want a 20% margin respecting max tow rating, or the weight I'm towing is 20% less than what my TV's rating. Also,I don't overlook Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCWV) rating. I Add up the weight of my TV with passengers a nd contents + the weight of my trailer and boat with contents, to get GCVW. Exceeding my TV's GCVW rating and my brakes and I may not stop you in time to avoid some misery. At the very least I would expect more wear and tear on equipment.

I use a half ton pickup as a TV for my 2120 as well as my travel trailer. To get towing capacity and correct GCVW I've had to order the TV's at the dealer.

This is a good conversation about an important issue. This is why I really enjoy this forum. Intelligent, mature folks that contribute towards a common goal. To enjoy our Parkers.
Now how do I come up with a legitimate large sum of money to get a a 2530? To late in the game as I'm fixing to retire in a year and a half from a very difficult profession. I am looking forward to using my little battleship more often with my family.
Stay safe my friends and happy holidays!

Your 2120 weights 8000 lbs with the trailer? Holy sh*t!!!! :shock:

I have sort of a different opinion than most others when it comes to towing. I pushed my old '03 Ram gasser right to the limit of it's 10,800 lb. capacity with a 25' Grady Sailfish. Most of my trips were fairly short but I did do one 400 miler. Not once did I ever feel like I needed more truck.

I got better mileage than B-Faithful too... :D

gw204":3mq94t1g said:

I seem to remember that Hemi drinking a tank of gas towing my 2520 from Annapolis to Deale and back.
After that, you nicknamed her 'Porky'. :lol:

You should hardly know that 2120 is behind you with that. Should also have plenty of margin in the mountains on those switch back roads. Good luck with the new truck. :D

gw204":2v7rsfek said:
Your 2120 weights 8000 lbs with the trailer? Holy sh*t!!!! :shock:

I have sort of a different opinion than most others when it comes to towing. I pushed my old '03 Ram gasser right to the limit of it's 10,800 lb. capacity with a 25' Grady Sailfish. Most of my trips were fairly short but I did do one 400 miler. Not once did I ever feel like I needed more truck.

I got 8.98 mpgs hand calculated on my most recent trip. I kept it at ~60mph and was easier on the acceleration. This is running from Annapolis to Point Lookout MD with all the lights on rt2&4. The tundra 5.7l 396hp motor and 4.30 rear doesnt help mileage for sure.

I kind of remembering getting under 7mpgs towing my old Maycraft to the CBBT with that Hemi. (and being def by the time we got there :lol: )

I think I got just over 10mpgs when I towed my boat with my dad's duramax. Of course his truck has leveling kit too though (for towing his 5th wheel

I also wish it had a larger fuel tank and the brakes are $$$

How Big is the fuel tank on that truck?

I just ordered MY 1st brand new vehicle.

'15 F150 XLT S/Cab, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3:55 Elec Lock, rated at 11,700 towing. Got the Max tow package. 36gal tank, Ruby Red

warthog5":1fr88xt9 said:

'15 F150 XLT S/Cab, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3:55 Elec Lock, rated at 11,700 towing. Got the Max tow package. 36gal tank, Ruby Red

Photos brother... photos when you get her.

warthog5":1edy0va8 said:
I also wish it had a larger fuel tank and the brakes are $$$

How Big is the fuel tank on that truck?

congrats on the new truck.

I am not sure how big the tank is but the fuel light comes on at about 21 gal. This means I cannot tow to Point Look Maryland or Ocean City from Annapolis and back without stopping for fuel before the light comes on. I wish it had a 36gal tank. That is great for towing!

Back