Water in Gas Tank?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2320 with a Yamaha 225 on back. I have been experiencing issues with the high pressure fuel pump. I.E. it is clogging and bogging down at anything over 2500rpms. I have a guy coming on Monday to polish the fuel and take care of the tank. I have a mechanic coming and replacing all of the fuel lines and cleaning the pumps and filters. One of the things he mentioned was that Parkers tend to get water in their fuel tanks. Can anybody confirm this? It could be the ethanol in the gas. I have a white clam over the fuel vent. Does anybody have experience with this? Thanks.

Have you confirmed why it is bogging down? What you are planning on doing seems like it is going to cost a good bit of coin, especially if that may not be the problem.
It could end up being something as simple as a clogged vst filter. If there is water in the tank, it would have showed up in the water separating filter before it got to the engine (assuming you have one).

I've never heard of Parkers tending to get water in the tank. I've had my 2520 for 15 seasons now and have never experienced water in my tank.

What Tim said.
Its most likely your VST filter. Also change the Low pressure fuel pumps as well.
You should be able to tell right away if its water in the fuel. I would not spend the money to have the tank cleaned.

Ditto on the VST filter. Had all the same problems last year. Had a reputable dealer check my fuel and was fine. All the issues were with the Yamaha.

In addition to the water separation filters you should clean/replace the VST filter, also the F shaped filter that you'll encounter in that same area should be replaced.

Last year my low pressure pump failed (caused fuse to blow), and then my fuel system was all clogged up with crap. I'm pretty sure that the failure of the pump contributed to my filter clogging issue and found a thread on the hull truth where one owner found that the spring inside the low pressure pump was rusted, causing repeated clogs in the VST.

Anyway, have all new pumps now, and everything is clean. Ran great after everything was cleaned out.

before going to the expense of cleaning the tank and fuel system, you can check very easily for water in the tank with sar-gel water indicating paste on a stick. Just pull your fuel sender out and dip the tank. paste will turn color if water is present. Also, dump your fuel filter into a glass jar. it would show signs of water if it's got to the engine.

Thanks for all of the great input. I should have added, I put a new high and low pressure fuel pump in about 30 hours ago. It was running pretty crappy about 7 hours ago, and now no go above 2500rpms. I have a feeling it is the VST, but if it keeps clogging, then there might be something else at play here.

Back