Water pump and thermostat replacement cost

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noahs_Ark

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of a round about cost for a water pump and thermostat replacement on a HPDI 150?

I just got a bill and I am a bit floored over it! It is coming from my boat mechanic that I have used and trusted for many years...

As always, I appreciate any insight or thoughts.

thanks,

Even if you replaced all the water pump parts and the housing, it's only about $120 in parts paying full Yamaha list. Thermostats are about $30 each plus a $4 gasket. Can't imagine it's more than a couple hours labor unless the water pump turns into a real PITA, which it certainly can :(

I thought so... He left me a voicemail with a $540 price tag!

This is going to be an enjoyable afternoon at the marina

Wow..... that water-pump change must have been a bear. When was the last time it was changed and did he do it?

It was done 3 years ago, as per the last owners documented service statements. The engine has less than 300 hrs...very clean. I think this guy took me for a ride this time. I will be looking for a new yamaha mechanic effective immediately

Good reason to learn to do this stuff yourself if you have the interest/time. I do most things myself on my Yamaha and have a friend to help with anything I am unfamiliar with. Dealers in my area charge $100+ hour which is incentive enough for me :D

Let us know how that "conversation" goes......

WHOA ... hold on thar' boys ... from the data provided NONE of us know what the mechanic ran into!

If there was a STUCK bolt on the lower unit or anywhere that needed to be removed, such a bolt can turn an easy 2-hour job into a 4 or more hour NIGHTMARE!

Agreed. That's why I said the WP job can be a real bitch...... who knows what happened until he talks with his mechanic....

Picked the boat up he stated no issues $220 for parts and had $350 for labor.
After I relayed my concern for the costs (which went over like a
Fart in church) he adjusted the cost for the labor to $300. The engine is sparkling clean
With no issues. I am a miticulous owner.
At the end of the day he is a good mechanic, I just think he had a bad moment.
Lesson learned, I assure you, I will do it myself next time.

Thank you again.

I used to change the WP every other season. Now I try to go three years. The cost is always around 400, which I think is high. Like people have stated all the parts thermo stats add up to about 100 bucks or so.
I am starting to do more and more work myself. I now do my own mid season oil change which I used to pay close to 200.

Replaced the water pump and thermostates on my F200TXR did work myself. Parts cost me $284 which included the impeller, SS cup, plastic housing, gaskets, and 2 thermostats, tube of grease. I was somewht surprised with the cost, but what are you going to do. It is a boat (break out another thousand)

I buy my parts at Boats.net. Changing water pump and thermos is very simple.

However, I'm not shocked by the mechanics price. Most of the time you get raped.

Brent,

His bill just listed a labor line with the $350. I am going to assume this is aa accumulation of hours. I know for sure, my past water pump replacement costs never exceeded the $400 mark.

Anyway, thank you all for your comments! I am almost positive all will be forgotten in a month when the ark hits the water for the season.

FYI there's a price book for 'recommended service hours/charges' that some dealers use, whether it be for autos or OBs. I see $115/hour up here in the North East as the most expen$ive hourly rate. Some delaers have set prices lower than that price book, see attached.

Attachments

• OB-Service.JPG
    OB-Service.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 481
Noahs_Ark":1xo34w33 said:
Anyone have an idea of a round about cost for a water pump and thermostat replacement on a HPDI 150?

I just got a bill and I am a bit floored over it! It is coming from my boat mechanic that I have used and trusted for many years...

As always, I appreciate any insight or thoughts.

thanks,

Just so I understand the full story.

Did the mechanic give you an estimate?

No...I failed to ask for one. I "trusted" him and assumed from the past he would provide a reasonable price. I have spoken to another local guy who uses him, and he advised there have been similar instances over the years.

Classic case of......... stick it to 'em while you can !!

No way that took him 3+ hours of work. If it did, he's incompetant.

If that's their "flat rate", then they should tell you beforehand.

Use it as a "life and learn" experience. :mrgreen:

FYI, I have a 2007 2510 with 2- 150hp Yamahas. I've had the water pumps replaced twice, both times in the same boatyard where I have a mooring and store the boat over the winter. In 2010, the cost was $922. In 2013, the cost was $818 (this was $219 for parts, $571 for labor, plus tax and misc other stuff). I have thought about learning to do this myself, but after watching a video, it looks to me like I would have to learn the tips from an experienced mechanic, plus do it 4-5 times on my own to get proficient. I am not happy with the costs, have told myself that I should look elseware for another yard, but I haven't. Anyway, just offering this for your info.

Back