Waterproofing Console in 1801 CC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducktown

Reaction score
The bottom of the console in my 2018 1801 is continually wet, requiring me to raise the contents off the floor to keep them dry. This dampness also causes a mildew problem. The water enters between the bottom of the console and the deck.

Is the console designed to allow water to enter, or is this something I can seal up to keep the water out?

I would suggest you find out where the water is coming from? Once you determine that- we can all discuss a specific remedy =)

I would suggest you find out where the water is coming from? Once you determine that- we can all discuss a specific remedy =)

It is under wrap(s) right now, so I can’t pinpoint where exactly it is coming from. But it is definitely seeping in where the console meets the deck. The question is, is it supposed to allow water in, or can I seal it up without it causing some other problem?

Isn’t the console resting on channels for fastening and the rest of the console is lifted up? Water should drain under and past the console floor. Maybe angle or tilt the boat more so it drains better

If you have water inside the console, you have a problem. The console is screwed down to the deck, so the first place I'd check is around the holes in the console floor that the screws go through. The Parker factory seals the consoles down with 5200 (or some similar product) but its possible that the 5200 has cracked or someone removed a factory screw and did not re-apply sealant when they re-applied.

On an 1800/1801 I don't believe that the console has any sort of channels under it, its screwed down to the flat deck. Maybe the newer consoles are different than mine, but the bottom of my console is perfectly flat too.

I think the older consoles had a bottom with raised channels molded in for water and sand to run under. The later ones have a flat bottom and are supposed to be sealed down with 2 weep holes to allow water to run out the back should water enter. The problem is the holes are really small and clog easily. Another issue is the 2 holes in the deck for the rigging allows water to enter below deck. The plastic rigging covers aren't sealed down and don't work as desired and sealant should be applied around these openings prior to console install between the deck and console, and the flange and console (and the exposed edges of the deck holes should have been sealed).
Please don't comment on the yellow wire splices. This is the attempt of a boat yard installing the battery charger for the previous owner. I have since corrected this.

Attachments

• 1801 console1.jpg
    1801 console1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 1801 console2.jpg
    1801 console2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 44
I see. I sure don’t like those plastic and or rubber boot covers. I can see cracks starting sooner or later. Why don’t they just mold in a raised lip or dam that is big and clear and then snap that cover on like flashing on a roof curb. Maybe that’s what they did here.

Thanks all for the info. From the sounds of things, as long as water is not getting in from a higher point, sealing the console where it meets the deck is the way to go.

If that's where its coming from. I do get mold/mildew because I don't have any vents. After boating I rinse down and cover the console which traps some moisture in. IF I use it 3 or 4 times a week its kept under control. When there's a stretch of 4 days or more it grows. I try to avoid storing wet vests in there.

Airflow is what you want. Keep the side door on the console cracked open with a bungie cord and then make sure your cover has a vent that propped open. It’s like a tent. Also woody wax keep mildew off for some time.

Latest posts

Back