Waxing Boat - Zep Acrylic vs Regular Wax

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just brought my Parker home last night to start on some off season projects. I was talking to a friend about one of my winter projects of working on my hull and the wax options/processes. He used Barkeepers and Zep wax on an old 87 Henry O hull he had (see pic) and it really cleaned up nicely and the Zep put a good barrier coat on the fiberglass. The Zep is an Acrylic commercial type floor wax. It seems to last much longer than regular wax and you can just re-apply the Zep without stripping all the way down. He's trying to talk me into trying a small section on my Parker to see how it works but...? My normal go to is the Buff Majic and wax. Apparently the RV crowd uses the Zep process a lot? If I had an old beater then I wouldn't care about giving it a shot but I'm a little nervous about experimenting with my Parker. Does anyone out there have any experience/thoughts with the Zep?

Attachments

• IMG_1349.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    306 KB · Views: 384
I've heard on several trawler sites that it yellows over time.

Stick with what works.
There is no magic bullet.
There is no free lunch.
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Dance with who brung ya'.

You are probably getting the idea!

My previous boat was a 2003 Aquasport 205 Osprey that had become badly oxidized. I tried everything on it, compound, buffing, $500 professional buff&wax with no success. I then tried the Barkeepers Friend, TSP, Zepp Acrylic Floor Finish and the results were amazing. It looked like it had just come off the showroom floor brand new. I traded the boat on my new Parker 4 months later and got top dollar for it.

Thanks guys. All of your comments are exactly what I've heard from others. There in is my delima. I've seen the amazing results using the Zep but as in Banjo's case, my friend sold that Henry O about 1 year after he did the Zep. It was still looking great then but I keep hearing about the yellowing over time so....? It's that yellowing that really bothers me. I was hoping to hear from somebody that has seen how it holds up over time in the salt water environment to see if there is really something to the yellowing issue.

Did not know Zep had a wax product.
I do use the Zep orange citrus soap (and bleach) to wash my boat as it will not strip the wax the way Simple Green does.

Buff Magic and Collonite Fleet (paste) wax are my go-to products.
I do sometimes use the Meguiers and/or Griots Garage cleaner wax products on occasion (especially during the season for touch-ups).

Kevin, I don't think Zep is a wax as it's a Acrylic polish. Per your experience I used the Buff Majic the last couple of times and various finish waxes. Meguires being one.

Back