What have I done to my topsides?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ackparker

Reaction score
On monday after pulling the boat I cleaned the topsides with diluted simple green in warm fresh water and rinsed afterwards. I went on the boat which is in my driveway to find these spots every where I washed. I scrubbed them but can't get them off. I can't even scratch them with my fingernail and wax stripper had no effect on them. I can't feel them with my finger it almost looks like they are from under the gelcoat. What have I done and what can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 557
I've never seen that in glass FROM the glass due to cleaning, but have seen some horribly tough stains from tree sap droppings/drippings whatever or from bird poop (acidic). Try something like maybe baking soda on a spot to see if it neutralizes the acid.

My 1st try would be Barkeepers Friend ... no need for any other cleaner on board with that stuff.

Thanks i'll give it a try. It just seem weird because the boat has been in the same spot all season and this is the first time the stains have appeared. It almost looks like squid ink

Looks like mold, or tanin stains.

Anything with bleach should kill it. Does cleaner wax take it out??

Any chance those spots have MarineTex on them? I have MarineTex in a couple of small holes and I used to use Simple Green and now the MarineTex is the same color as your spots.

I've since learned the proper way to repair with gelcoat from this forum and won't go back to MarineTex.

Gary

I beleive I am right that Simple Green is a degreaser. Although I have never used it on my boat, I try and stay away from any type of a cleaner that is a degreaser . I used a product called Greased Lightning just because it was handy. It left pretty purple streeks in the fiberglass, the sun took them out over time, that could be part of the problem weather it is reacting with the fiberglass or a filler

I spray my deck( but only my deck) with full strength Simple Green and no problems. Spray it on let it sit 1-2 minutes hose off. Beats push'n the brush and passes the wife's barefoot test.

I use Simple Green in my bilge, but not on my topsides because it can remove the wax.

On the topsides I use Orpine boat soap, Zep orange citrus cleaner, and liquid bleach (as a whitener).
That combo won't remove the wax, but will remove tannin, bait, and bird stains.

Latest posts

Back