What is the best size and type of Anchor

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhendric

Reaction score
For my 25' Parker. I am thinking the 13 pound Danforth for my main Anchor with 300" of line and 10' of chain. Just lookin gfor a reality check before I pull the trigger. Most of my fishing is 3-10 miles offshore with some trips as far as 40 miles.

It's all personal choice. I would definitely rethink the chain length. Boat length would be my minimum.

Personally I have a 16 lb. Bruce, 50 ft. of 1/4-inch chain and 400 plus ft. of 1/2-inch nylon rope for my ground tackle.

I have a 22lb delta with 30 ft of 1/4" chain and 300 feet of 8 plait as my main anchor. I had the 14lb delta but with all the windage between the extended cabin and tower it wouldnt hold on anything grassy. The heavier 22lb sets everytime now. I have a Fortress FX 11 as my rear anchor with 75 feet of line and 15' of chain. Mostly used at the sandbar in less than 2 feet of water.

Brad - where do you keep you rear anchor and line?

I have the same fortress and want to try mounting it somewhere so it is ready, but I don't want it out in the open, curious to see what you came up with.

FWIW I anchor in a lot of mud bottoms, so I prefer a 'V' or Danforth-type fluke anchor. I've read a lot about anchors from Powerboat Reports testing every few years. And to me, the stellar standout and value is the Hi-Tensile version of the Danforth anchor.

What I've found interesting is that the Bruce-type anchors fail most authoritative anchor tests, but are quite popular since they set so easy. They set really easy, though, because they don't dig in deep at all, thus they fail the pull tests while passing the set tests with flying colors! IMHO most people back down TOO fast while setting an anchor ... slooooooowwwly go back 'til it hooks, then slowly ramp up RPMs to set one properly.

Getting back to the Danforth Hi-Tensilem this model 12H weighs only 12-pounds and is rated for 1,800 pounds of safe working load (WL). This anchor is rated for a 42' boat in 20-knot winds. Also an an FYI, 1,960 pounds of WL is needed to anchor a 25' boat in winds to 60-knots. I sure don't want to be out 'there' :shock: with that happening, so this works for me! Let's compare this to some other top-rated anchors:

Make - Model - Weight - WLoad - Price

Danforth - 12H - 12 - 1,800 - $168
Danforth (Standard) - S920 - 14 - 920 - $58
Fortress (Guardian) G23 - 13 - 1,625 - $180
Fortress - FX23 - 15 - 2,000 - $320

To me, the Danforth high tensile version is a super combination of relatively light weight, super holding numbers, at a great price! That said, that HydroBubble Capt Kevin uses gets high praise too ... but I just tried to connect to their website and it killed my browser :?: connection ... ???

Hydro-ST.jpg

To answer YOUR question ... it really depends on what type of bottom YOU are trying to hold in. I'm in mud 80% and hard sand for the rest, so my experience may not 'fit' your needs.[/img]

I keep my rear anchor in the transom storage on the port side. then i put fenders or dock lines on top of it. I also stick my gaff and scrub brush in there.

Up until last week I had a 13/14 lb Danforth, 30' of 1/4" BBB chain, and 300' of 1/2" line. I swapped the anchor out for a 22 lb Delta Quick Set that was 70% off at a recent Boaters World sale. The Danforth will be kept as a spare "storm" anchor. I have a 250' spool of 7/16" line that would be used with it.

Dave

I used to have a delta fast set but it gave me troubles setting up on oyster beds that chum on and I would drag some in very silty bottoms despite it being rated for a larger boat. I switched back to a danforth for those reasons. With that said the delta fast set was great in the sand and more firm mud bottoms. I would set more easily and retreive more easily than the danforth.

Back