What power would you'all choose?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishook

Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2520 XLD and I want to make sure I dont miss anything. I need to make a desision between the Yamaha 150's or 200's. The 200's are another 4,000 each. I just dont want to regret the 150's if there will be any issues with lack of power. I am adding a 80 gallon 2-comp bait tank and with a full tank of gas I dont want to be to heavy for the 150's.

In good seas what should I expect WOT with the 150's or the 200's.

What are the major disivatages of the 200's (if any) beside cost.

Classic Parker has been a great help in my search. I look forward to learning alot about my new boat from you boys.

I can only speak of reputation...

The F200's are heavy and under powered for their rating
the 150's are much lighter and put out more hp than their rating.

If it were me I would save the 4 grand and go F150. (or probably inquire about the 200hpdi's)

i have a 2520 dvsc with twin 150's on it i have a 65 gallon offshore bait tank on it also an the 150 push it plenty fine and im in northern cal. where we get much rougher seas on the average our tuna runs our at the average of 60 miles plus off the beach and have never felt under power here is a picture for you to check out

Attachments

• P1000115.JPG
    P1000115.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 645
The 2520DV also comes with a single f350 which weighs less than a pair of f150s. If I had to choose right now, not knowing the reliability of the f350 yet, I think I would go with the f150s. Proven track record, plenty of power, a lot less money, and less weight. Have not heard one negative report from any 2520DV owners w/f150s.

jim

I have to agree with B. Check into the availability of 200 HPDIs. You'll never say to yourself "Gee, I wish I didn't have all this excess power." :)

eehhhhh, watch out. Yamaha 150 fourstrokes have a reputation for being dog engines, actual amount of hp closer to 115. the 200s may be heavier, but theyll definately put out more horses (duh :D ). the bait tank would make me nervous, add a full tank, 5 guys, ice, bait, gear, etc, and you might appreciate the extra ponies.

Fishook,

I have a 2520 DVSC with twin F150’s and I have never, ever, thought it was under powered. Except when I was breaking it in at less then 2,000 RPM's or whatever it was. Then I was delightfully shocked when I first put the hammer down.

The biggest disadvantage I can see is the extra weight on the stern.

110717Fishing10-08-05_017-med.jpg

The Horndog, as we lovingly refer to my baby around my house, has a tower, an Airmar B-260 transducer (which is huge), an 80 gallon bait tank and along with the 2, 12-volt batteries I have an additional 4, 6-volt golf cart batteries in the floor of the cabin.

Last year I took the Horndog out 75 miles, 25 past San Clemente Island Albacore fishing. On the trip I had 3 other guys (4 at 185 lbs. average), with Fishing and dive gear for the weekend. Two coolers, a 160 quart igloo full of beer and ice (behind the bait tank), and a small 30 quart one for food in the cabin. Anyway you get the idea, it was loaded. With a full fuel tank I don’t think I will ever have more on the boat. No problem.

I don’t know how fast you want to go or what you’re going to do but I can’t imagine needing more power. If you didn’t have to put more weight in the stern I guess the power would be fun. I could chase down tuna or race off to the next area a little faster, if it’s glass. The boat now loaded does 40 MPH. I cruise at 24 knots at about 4300 RPM’s. I did talk with a guy that has twin 225’s, he says his boat does 56 MPH.

Good Luck,

Fishook,
Sorry just saw this one. I have the 2520XLD with 150's and it's got plenty of power. My boat tops out at 46 mph, I never have a need to go any faster than that. I too frequently go 50-75 miles offshore and the 150's have acceptable fuel consumption (IMO). If I had it to do over again, I'd still get the 150's. Randy.

pelagic2530":3mhf77lk said:
eehhhhh, watch out. Yamaha 150 fourstrokes have a reputation for being dog engines, actual amount of hp closer to 115...

Have heard just the opposite...they crank out about 162 hp. Haven't heard of anyone complaining about them being over-rated (under powered), and they seem to be one of the most reliable engines in Yamaha's fleet.

Here is the comparison: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/pr ... specs.aspx

The 150 has over 55 (1/3 more) ci over the 115. No way they'll let it out of the factory in a condition that won't compete with the Suzuki 140.

Dave

aka

Because of the weight, if I repower, I'll seriously consider a pair of the Suzuki 140s. They are only 4 lbs more than my Yam F-115s. 50 more total HP and only 8 lbs more weight...my fly fishing tackle bag weighs more than that.

Dave

aka

My 2520DVSC has a Yamaha F250. The top end is identical to my old carbed Yamaha 250. Both were properly propped and I would assume that the F250 puts out the same HP as the old 250.

Twins are known to not put out HP equal to tthe sum of the pairs due to the excess drag of an additional lower units, greater weight etc. I also fish on a 2520SLD with twin Yamaha F150's. His top end is about 8 MPH faster than mine. The F150s push this boat very well, econmy is nearly identical to my F250. Those F150s put out PLENTY.

The one 4 stroke Yamaha that got the bad HP wrap was the old F225, known to put out just over 200 HP, even though it was considered very reliable. That motor, I believe, has been reworked to incorporate some of the more advanced technology from the F250.

Suzuki 140s ? Maybe, however, an interesting combination I considered with twin Suzuki F175s (also inline 4 cyls) which would give you another 50 HP over the Yami's at about the same weight. Where I live, I was not comfortable with the Suzuki dealers so stuck with the Yamaha and decided to go single (save $) . Also, changing over from Yamaha to Suzuki would have been more money, for a new installation, rigging price is likely the same.

Porkchunker":7u49go6n said:
pelagic2530":7u49go6n said:
eehhhhh, watch out. Yamaha 150 fourstrokes have a reputation for being dog engines, actual amount of hp closer to 115...

Have heard just the opposite...they crank out about 162 hp. Haven't heard of anyone complaining about them being over-rated (under powered), and they seem to be one of the most reliable engines in Yamaha's fleet.

Here is the comparison: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/pr ... specs.aspx

The 150 has over 55 (1/3 more) ci over the 115. No way they'll let it out of the factory in a condition that won't compete with the Suzuki 140.

Dave

aka

could be they fixed the problems. i do know however that some of the first generation f150s had some power issues. other than that, youre probably right, Yamaha doesnt want that rep

I repowered my 2510 DV with twin F150's. It had twin 150 2 strokes prior to that.

It is not at all underpowered, and my boat is probably as heavy as any parker 25 you can find. I frequently fish offshore, so I leave with full fuel (now 230 gallons after an upgrade tank added), 4 or 5 big guys, rods, ice, bait, etc, etc.

I easily cruise at 25-30 knots. The power is fine, and the efficiency is wonderful. I can hit 2mpg with a light load and calm seas, but I use 1.4 nmpg for my trip planning (it's probably closer to 1.6 most days but you have to plan for coming home uphill).

If weight is an issue, I suppose you could go to e-tec 200's - they weigh the same as the e-tec 150 and about as much as the older 2 strokes.

The F150's are fine on mine though (I have a full transom and bracket).

Gerg - any more pictures of your tank install? I was trying to figure out a way to stuff more fuel into my 2530.

No new pics, but this spring I need to fab a new deck plate for it so I can get some then. It's working well now that they switched me over to an anti-siphon vent.

I may not get around to it though - I'm actually thinking of selling it in the spring. There is just no way around needing 10 more feet for me. We'll see.

Parker 34?

Only if it's an inboard diesel.

I just don't like outboards in larger boats. I saw the grady 36 at the new england boat show, and while a nice enough boat, it wasn't even half the boat the ocean 37 billfish was for about the same money.

I think first choice would still be a downeast style boat for my next ride....

I agree. There are some nice Downest boats on the market right now. Alot of guys getting out due to the cost of fuel.

Single Diesel seems to be the most economical at this point.

I don't know if the cost of fuel is really driving people out as much as the cost of boating vs. other priorities in a bad economic cycle.

Fuel is really not the driving cost of owning a larger boat. Sure, downeasts may save you 0.5 nmpg overall, but even for a canyon trip, that's only a few hundred dollars saved. When you are spending $800 in fuel, $500 in bait, taking two days off, and paying $10k-$20k in annual operating costs (before the actual loan payment), another 50-75 gallons of fuel isn't going to kill you.

One of the bennies of downeasts, or any single engine boat, is reduced maintenance costs as well as reduced fuel use. If you have twin diesels, you really should be keeping them on a similar repair regiment - so if you lose a turbo on one you should be breaking the other one down while fixing the first. Same for risers, exchangers, hoses, belts, etc, etc, etc. A lot of guys will go on the cheap and only fix whats broke. That can cost you a lot more in the long run.

A well maintained single engine can be more reliable than twins that have been neglected.

This is actually very pertinent to the repower discussion at hand.

Twin engines can add a degree of safety since it's less likely that both will break down from a mechanical failure on the same trip. But it costs you more in fuel, in maintenance, and when repowering.

If you do buy twins, absolutely maintain them in synch. If one needs a new belt, replace them on both. Don't get cheap and say "the other one is ok, just leave it alone".

Just a thunk.

Back