Where to mount EPERB?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheerios

Reaction score
I have a Parker 2520XL and I am looking for a safe and accessible place to mount my EPERB. Any ideas ? If photos are available it would be a great help.
Thanks,
Cheerios

Hey i dont have one but a guy that you will def. want to talk to on this with be Megabyte!!! I know he has 1 or 2 of these on his boat!!! I know i seen an add out there with pictures of where he and others have them mounted!!!

I keep mine in a ditch bag. I spent some time looking around for a decent place to mount it and decided overal it would be best in a a bag.

If you come up with the perfect spot let me know.

Richard

Mine too is in my ditch bag which is fastened to the 'inside' of the cabin door. Thus it is out in the cockpit when the door it open - ready for instant GRAB-&-GO - or it is in the cabin with me - if/when the cabin door is closed.

WATCH out for static mounts, they typically don't deploy until the pressure = atmospheres of 14' below sea level. With the Parker built-in floatation ... I highly doubt a Parker will EVER reach that depth ...

Cheerios":fd7rzsbr said:
I have a Parker 2520XL and I am looking for a safe and accessible place to mount my EPERB. Any ideas ? If photos are available it would be a great help.
Thanks,
Cheerios

What kind of epirb is it? auto deploy? manual deploy? PLB?

defiantely the best place for it is a ditch bag. that way, its a one-stop-shop for all of your safety gear- flare kit, handheld VHF, water rations, strobes, air horn, etc etc etc. that way, you dont have to worry about gathering a bunch of stuff if you have to ditch, just bag, raft and go, ive even heard of people attaching the bag directly to the raft package. you dont wanna have to make the choice between the EPIRB and the survival gear :shock:

I agree with the others.
Buy the EPIRB of your choice, but make sure that it goes with you if you need to bug out in an emergency.

I bought an ACR 406 P-EPIRB and carry it in my emergency equipment bag.
I don't call it a 'ditch bag' because I like to think I've planned well enough to not have to leave the boat. :D
This bag contains all of my pyrotechnics and related safety gear, including my P-EPIRB (aka a PLB).

Image-BE010422E42411D9.jpg

The ACR model that I chose is the ACR Product No. 2797.4 with GPS Interface & Onboard GPS.
http://www.acrelectronics.com/aquafix/aquafix.htm

aquafix.jpg

I bought a PLB because I sometimes move boats for other folks, and this PLB is registered to me, rather than the vessel.
That way, if the unit is ever activated, the CG is looking for me, and not my Parker. :wink:

If you don't plan to have to take an EPIRB with you on other boats, one of their other models might be better for you.
http://www.acrelectronics.com/

Like everyone else, I like having control of the device and I like keeping it with my other safety gear.

YMMV :wink:

ditch bag is where I keep mine. Brad, where is the ditch bag?

Every day I log in to this site I learn a little more.....thanks to everyone...

I don't have a ditch bag on my boat but I'm hoping I have everything that may be included in that bag.....

Other than an epirb, what are you guys keeping in a ditch bag? Sounds like something I need to put together.

Thanks

Steve

evetsmd":170m1m80 said:
Other than an epirb, what are you guys keeping in a ditch bag?

All my pyrotechnics (aerials, flares, smokes, ect) to include both 'current' dates and 'expired' backups, dye markers, signal mirror, canned air horn, whistle, 1st aid kit, space blanket, wood plug kit, handheld VHF, personal EPIRB, flashlights, signal strobes, boat registration, fishing license, insurance info, tow insurance card, copy of my license...

I'm sure I've forgotton something, but I think you have the idea.

Thanks Kevin...

Yes I have the idea....I have most of everything on the boat but putting it all in one bag is a good idea...

do you leave this on the boat?

Reason I ask is it includes your registration, insurance info, tow card etc.

I always wonder if someone decided they wanted the boat more than me, is it a good idea for them to have all of the documentation.

Steve

evetsmd":1lzn94j0 said:
do you leave this on the boat?

Reason I ask is it includes your registration, insurance info, tow card etc.

I always wonder if someone decided they wanted the boat more than me, is it a good idea for them to have all of the documentation.

Good point.
Yes, the bag does stay on the boat...

However, the boat is under the protection of Doctor Mossberg
who can be an evil fellow when loaded with 9 rounds of Remington Slugger. :twisted:

DSCN00009.JPG-thumb_269_202.jpg

evetsmd":3fe918uj said:
Every day I log in to this site I learn a little more.....thanks to everyone...

I don't have a ditch bag on my boat but I'm hoping I have everything that may be included in that bag.....

Other than an epirb, what are you guys keeping in a ditch bag? Sounds like something I need to put together.

Thanks

Steve

ACR EPIRB, longer battery life than a PLB. Standard Horizon VHF with internal GPS (eliminates need for both). flare kit-two arials, two smokes, two handhelds, as backup to the boat's complement. one of those shakelights that doenst need batteries. med kit, make your own in a small nalgene bottle, basic stuff, bandaids, burn cream, bandages etc. the most common problems that will cause you to go down are weather, not likely to produce injuries, and fire, very likely to produce injuries. then theres actually being in the raft, so take into account raft blisters and how to counter them. basically, you need enough stuff in the bag to treat minor injuries and burns, not much youre going to be able to do in a raft or in the water anyway, and you have the normal first aid kit for run of the mill injuries onboard. WATER, at least a liter, but enough to hold off extreme dehydration for a day or two for all the guys you have aboard. couple of powerbars not a bad idea either. DRAMAMINE!!! dont care how iron your stomach is, ive heard that once a raft (if youve got one) starts tossing around, most guys start making sacrifices to the sea gods, if you catch my drift. i have a water activated strobe light attached to the handle, so if it ends up in the water i can find it. spare batteries for anything battery operated. DUCT TAPE!!!! more uses than you could possibly imagine, from raft repair to.... well, anything. good multitool, good folding knife. sunscreen. ive got more, but its too late to think about them right now. also, i differ a bit from Megabyte's stance on having all emergency equipment in one bag, my approach goes more along the lines of, have everything you need for emergencies in one PLACE, but just the essentials in the ditch bag, ready to grab and go. my philosophy is, have everything so that you never need to touch anything in the ditch bag unless youre going to ditch. but to each his own :wink:

pelagic2530":1btucuq9 said:
ACR EPIRB, longer battery life than a PLB.

Absolutely correct. The battery life of the PLB is only 24 hours from onset of activation.

Latest posts

Back