Which Parker is the best for me?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seankingfisher

Reaction score
I am hoping to have a new (used) boat to launch by May 1, 2008.

The boat will be moored in the Merrimack River in Newburyport, MA. The mouth of the river can create large standing waves (6’+) on the outgoing tide, but most of the time it is not a big issue. I am looking for a boat that will allow me to:

1. Sight fish the tidal basin of the river, much of which bottoms out at low tide (8’-10’ tides).
2. Bottom fish 10-15 miles offshore.
3. Take friends and family to the beach.
4. Allow my wife and her friends more privacy than a joint compound bucket provides. (She wants something with a head or portable toilet).
5. Provide good seating capacity.
6. Make it back through the river mouth without me taking a swim.

I am currently leaning towards a Parker 23’ Walkaround with a full transom and outboard platform bracket. This boat is a significant step up from my 1972 16’ tri-hull and I want to make sure I am picking the boat and model that are best for me.

I am leaning towards this boat because it seems to have a strong hull that will last (I hope to own this boat for at least 10 years). The draft seems like it will handle shallow water and allow me to get in close to the beach. I looked at a 1994 2310 that had 2 passenger seats behind the main seat, which seemed like a good way to meet my seating requirements (unfortunately it had a transom mount outboard. I looked at a 1990 as well but it did not have raised deck needed for the seating arraignment and the deck was one piece (no gas tank hatch).

The walkaround seems to be a better set up for my needs but I would be curious what other folk’s thoughts are on this issue.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!

seankingfisher":3fmkak7l said:
, the deck was one piece (no gas tank hatch).
Thanks!

No Parkers have a "gas tank hatch". Many hatches leak and corrode tank. Ever step on a hatch and notice how spongy it is?

IMO, the 23 DV hull is an excellent choice for you and the W/A is a good compromise for family fishing.

You can go to...

http://parkerboats.net/ and click on faqs for more Parker build info

I have a 2510 WA and love it. I prefer the WA model because I can roll up the curtins and have plenty of fresh air. I have been on the pilothouse models and feel that when I am in the cabin I am disconnected from the rest of the folks on the boat. My use is limited to the bays around Cape Cod in pretty good weather, so I didn't feel like I needed the protection of the pilothouse. We use the boat for fishing about 50% of the time, with the rest of the time devoted to cruising, going to the beach, or just hanging out at the mooring having a cookout. Whatever suits you, you can't go wrong with a Parker.

This may turn into a long winded discussion but here goes:

Since the perfect boat does not exist there will always be compromises. Until Parker makes a shape shifting boat one will need to choose between WA, CC and PH. Deadrise choice is also in the mix for some. Then there of course is power.

If you are shopping for a used boat you may also need to go with what's available and the best value. If you are sitting on the fence between PH and WA and a really great deal in a PH comes along you may let that decide for you.

If we could all anticipate with certainty how we will use our boats we would be in a much better position to choose. For example when I got my boat I had no idea I would be infected with the offshore bug. Had I known this I may have gone with a DV hull instead of the XL.... then on the other hand as gas prices go up I'm enjoying the better economy of the XL with an F225.

PH boats in my opinion (not that I'm biased) are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. When the temps drop and the spray kicks up with the wind the door closes and all is well. A small heater is all that's needed to rejuvinate a chilled fisherman (or a wife who isn't really interested in the fishing).

On the other hand a WA has it's advantages and I'll not even try to explain them since I don't have one.

I frequently go out alone. When I take others out there are rarely more than 4 of us. I have adequate seating for my passengers 95% of the time and plenty of room for a 5th person to stand in the cabin or sit in the cockpit.

As you know, the 25 should also be considered. In the used market you may find a 25 priced right... if you can handle a 23 on your own you won't have any trouble with a 25. The biggest differences may be in the cost of a slip and trailering (rule of thumb.. always get a bigger boat than you think you need) When I first started shopping I looked at the 21 and thought how great it would be and it would do everything I needed to do.... so I then throught the 23 would be better..... and then I realized I could afford a 25.... I can't imagine going to a smaller boat now.

Try and get out in December weather in both a WA and a PH.

So many boats... so little time.

Enjoy your search!

Richard

CapeCodFrank":pqu58xp5 said:
I have been on the pilothouse models and feel that when I am in the cabin I am disconnected from the rest of the folks on the boat.

Easilly corrected! :D

Drop curtains, a no-cost option, can be substituted for the bulkhead and door on any of the pilothouse models. :wink:

Image-F68D38CE333811DC.jpg

Find what style boat you like, no matter what it is, then add two feet to it's length as was previosuly mentioned. Believe me you won't regret it. If not you'll be in the market to upgrade in two to three years.

All Parker models are built to last a lifetime. They also have solid resale values. You cannot go wrong with any of them. Layout is preference thing. Personally I like the larger open cockpits of the pilothouses but if a private area is important to you, the walkaround may be a better choice as the pilothouses just have a curtain for privacy.

Check out this PARKER mod.

http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=274

This is the best of both worlds.

One of the biggest reasons I made the move to a PH is canvas.

There is nothing better than shutting the door and walking away.

I had a WA with too much canvas to maintain and clean.

I agree, you can feel left out with company on board but the advantages of a PH far outweigh the disadvantages.

As I sit and think about whether or not I've every felt "left out" because of my boat design, I'd have to say the answer is no. However, I am somehwat of a loner and don't need a lot of socail interaction to be happy.

When we are running to and from the fishing grounds my passengers migrate to the comfort of the cabin. The occasional smoker may go out into the cockpit for their respiratory treatment. When we are fishing most are in the cockpit fishing.

For normal conversation underway the PH is the place to be. It is just fine with the door open and if you shut it you will be amazed how quite it is running at cruise speed.

Again, it all comes down to how you use a boat and what you want out of it. That's why Parker sells the different models because they do know not everyone wants a PH.

Richard

Here's a bit of heresy for you.

Until this past summer, I had a Parker 2520XL. Bought new, nice boat, and I liked it, but in the end I thought it too wide for its length and with that forward pilothouse seating position, it rode like a solid axle car with no springs or shocks. At any sort of speed, you felt "every bump in the road" or or Bay or Ocean.

Anyway, I sold that boat and bought a smaller, narrower Parker 2100CC. Under the same operating conditions, and in the same waters, it rides much, much better in the slop.

Now, the new boat is narrower, it has more vee at the transom, and the main seating position is closer to the stern, and those are all factors, but my gut and 50 years of boating tell me the 8'6" wide hulls are going to ride better than the wide hulls. They sure seem to for me.

Back