Who has a diesel tow vehicle and wishes it were gas?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
Looking around to maybe buy an older SUV like an Excursion or Suburban to use strictly as a tow vehicle. Tow capacity is as much as my pickup but I'm undecided about the diesel/gas issue.

Anyone have any experiences or comments?

I've been told to avoid the 6L diesel and look at the 7.X L.

Not really a mpg issue for me as I don't tow far or often. Mostly looking for towing power and engine life.

I tow with an 05 GMC, crew cab, 4x4, Duramax.

It pulls the 2320 with no problem.

If you are looking for a dedicated tow vehicle, IMO get the diesel.

I have a 2003 Ford F-250 HD 4x4 crew cab with the 6.0L diesel. It had a short block put in under warranty at 90k. Problem wasn't the injectors which has been a real problem with this engine, but the camshaft went out of it due to lack of oil. Dealer couldn't trace the problem so Ford had them replace the engine.

Other than that, it has been a great truck.

Have heard the new 6.4L is OK. Was interested in the 6.4, but the dealer told me to wait for the new Ford made diesel (Ford is dumping International as their engine manufacturer because of the 6.0L fiasco).

If I were you, I'd go for a 2002 or earlier 7.3L Powerstroke, or a Dodge with the Cummings diesel motor. Lots of Montana ranchers are driving the Dodge with the Cummings engines.

Dave

aka

I had the 6.0L Ford engine in my old truck and the 6.4 in the new truck. Both have been decent engines for me. Over 100,000 miles between the two and thats been in 2 years.

On another note I typically tow my 2530 with a 350 diesel and one day used a gas 2500 to tow it. I hope I never have to do that again. It really took alot of power to get it out of the ramp. Just felt like it was struggling the hole time. And the truck felt alot lighter. I have heard good things about the V10 gas in the excursion.

I tow me 2520 XL with a F250 V8 Gas, No problems. I keep the boat in the water so I dont tow it much but the few trips that I do make are not bad with the gas. If I had plans on lots of towing i would go with the diesel for MPG

TOL

I tow my 2008 2520XL with a 2005 3500 Chevrolet 1 Ton Pick Up with the gas 6.0 engine. It is adequate at best. I only splash spring and fall and very close in fuel fill ups. Forget about a Surburban! An excursion will work V-10 gas or Diesel. Brad is correct, he has been spoiled by the Ford, the Chevy gas trucks just dont have enough wheel base, suspension, and stomp. Remember you also need a good brake package and weight capacity to stop a loaded 2520 on a trailer.

A good idea may be to go to the appropriate Chevrolet/Ford/Dodge forums and ask the question there. I am sure you will find too much information. I personally have owned mostly Ford's including the Excursion with the 6.0 and the V10. I currently have a 6.0 F-350 and had a 6.4 F450 for a short bit. That been said I have had NO issues with any of my 6.0L Fords and based on what I have read on the "FordTruckEnthusiest" forum most of the problems were worked out in 2005-2007 and mainly due to over tuning. Stock Ford 6.0 built after 2005 are very dependable and powerful. Fact is Dodge and Chevy have there issues too.

If you are considering a Ford super duty there was many changes made in 2005 that relate to towing including heavier/larger disc brakes, integrated brake controller (useful if you use electric over hydraulic brakes), spring suspension, improved shock configuration and heavier duty transmission with exhaust brake in tow haul mode. No other significant changes were made again until 2008 when the totally re-designed super duty came out with the 6.4L.

In my opinion the 4X4 dually is a good match for a boat/trailer as it gives you added traction needed on some boat ramps and the stability for highway travel. As far as the V-10 verses the 6.0L???? They both have plenty of torque and will tow a Parker with no problem but I still prefer the diesel due to its grunt, longevity and resale. Fuel economy may be a little better with the diesel but the difference in maintenance and cost of diesel will offset the savings. In fact the gas V-10 is way cheaper to maintain.

I tow my 2530XLD with my 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel .

Up and over the Grape Vine on I5 in CA, cruise control on, AC on @ 55MPH (speed limit for a vehicle with a trailer in tow).

I am required to have a Wide Load permit to tow my boat in California as the 2530XLD has a is 9'6" wide beam. I also have to banner the boat (Wide Load) when I trailer as well.

Boat, motors, full fuel, trailer are around 10,000 pounds. Add another 500 pounds for the rest of the 'stuff' you need installed and on the boat.

Add to that the truck with full fuel and a Lear shell is touching 7,600 pounds, then add people and gear in the truck.

Easy 18,000 pounds rolling down the road.

No problem at all with my Dodge.

Kevin G.

Kevin I was at 19700 with my truck and trailer on the local scale. Definately alot of weight rolling along.

I test drove a diesel before I bought my van, and decided to order the E-350 with the 5.4 gas engine. The van I ordered came in with barn doors instead of the sliding door so I went out shopping and found an E-350 with the V10 and Torqshift transmission.

Boy do I love that van. At 55mph I get ~17 highway, ~13 towing and ~12 around town. And you know what? It's a pleasure to drive when towing but an absolute blast without the boat.

IMG_0237.jpg

No diesel for me.

jeffnick -

Hope this wasn't one of those times when you forgot to tilt you motor before hauling her out! :shock:

I have a 2004 F250 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel and 6 speed manual transmission with 3.73 rears.. It hardly knows my 23SE is behind it. Had a few minor issues with it when I purchased it which were quickly resolved. I get 21 to 22 MPG on the highway back and forth to my job. I have gotten as much as 24.1 MPG on long trips out west. I also pull a 16' stock trailer hauling 4 horses with out straining. When I pull my boat out of the ramp, I never have to touch the gas. It now has 160,000 miles and going as strong as the day I bought it.

Charlie
Eden, Md.

What type of non towing mileage do you the diesels get. if i can get my business back up I was considering a new truck. i drive like 30k a year and only tow 4-5 times a month and most the towing is local but i do make trips on occassion.

I typically average 16-19mpg with my regular driving habits with my 1500 Chevy silverado 4x2 w/5.3l. I get around 9-10mpg towing my boat.

05 GMC, crew cab, 4x4, Duramax, Alison 5 speed, 18 mpg non towing. I get around 13-14 towing the 2320. Our usual trip is around 60 miles one way.

With my truck once you go over 2000 rpm your fuel mileage will start dropping fast. If I keep it around 55 mph, I can expect 21 mpg easy.

The worst mpg I ever had was pulling a big generator from Pensacola to Tallahassee (6 mpg). Although 90 mph might have been a contributing factor.

The newer 6 speed Alison is said to get better fuel mileage.

I have a 2820xl and tow it with a 2008 F-350 6.4 diesel. I have 70,000 miles on it and have towed the boat from the panhandle down to the keys and back. I have had no problems what so ever with the truck and it pulls the boat like a champ. My brother-in-law is taking this truck and i am picking up a 2009 F-350 on sat. because the 2011 will be out in Feb there are great deals on 2009. when towing the boat i get about 9 miles to the gallon.

TOL - I know you were just busting JN's chops about the engines being down but maybe I can learn something here.
Given the height of the motors from the ground when on the trailer, why do they need to be up when hauling out? I put them up when trailering but leave them down to rinse and flush when hauling. What am I missing here? The only things I can think of are: boat slipping off trailer = bad thing engines up or down, hitch failure and boat tilting back = another bad vision - but with dual axels and appropriate tongue wt this seems unlikely. Thanks.

B-Faithful":3t1j1tzh said:
I typically average 16-19mpg with my regular driving habits with my 1500 Chevy silverado 4x2 w/5.3l. I get around 9-10mpg towing my boat.

I've got a gas 5.4L and she gets about the same as yours. 9-10 towing and 14-16 regular driving.

I don't tow long distances so the mpg issue is not important to me. I was more interested in towing torque.

gray duck":rd785gmr said:
TOL - I know you were just busting JN's chops about the engines being down but maybe I can learn something here.
Given the height of the motors from the ground when on the trailer, why do they need to be up when hauling out? I put them up when trailering but leave them down to rinse and flush when hauling. What am I missing here? The only things I can think of are: boat slipping off trailer = bad thing engines up or down, hitch failure and boat tilting back = another bad vision - but with dual axels and appropriate tongue wt this seems unlikely. Thanks.

I was busting his chops.

Someone I know, had a friend who :wink: discovered that at some ramps, the angle of the dangle was such, that, when he pulled the boat out, without tilting the motor up, the bottom edge of the motor dragged. Looked like someone had put a belt sander with coarse sandpaper to it.

Don't know the physics behind it but I know it can be a problem.

TheOtherLine":1e77w0bq said:
Someone I know, had a friend who :wink: discovered that at some ramps, the angle of the dangle was such, that, when he pulled the boat out, without tilting the motor up, the bottom edge of the motor dragged. Looked like someone had put a belt sander with coarse sandpaper to it.

I'm not 'that guy', but that happened to me with my previous boat on a ramp in Virginia.
It was an "owie!" moment when I heard the skeg grinding on the concrete. :shock:
Motor full-up from that point forward!

Back