windlass rode?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iltfish

Reaction score
Guys, I need some help here. I just finished installing a Lewmar Profish 700 windlass on my 2520MVSC this weekend.Now, I need to replace my current anchor rode and chain with a type compatitible with the windlass and I have a few questions.The mfgr calls for 1/2 in 3 strand medium lay nylon or 8 plait medium nylon.
1.Is the 3 strand or 8 plait nylon rode better?Why?
2. When securing the end of the line in the anchor locker, how do you do it?
3. If I have 300 ft of anchor line and then another 2 ea 100 ft sections for deeper water, How can I attach the additional line so that it will pass through the gypsy? What type of connection between the two lines?
I would appreciate any advice that you can give.This is my first windlass and I want to do it right the first time. I already spent enough money on the install and wiring.
THANK YOU!

iltfish":39bmdvd8 said:
When securing the end of the line in the anchor locker, how do you do it?

I secured mine by tying a figure-eight-on-a-bight on the end of the line, and then using a galvanized screw shackle from the line to an eye on the backside of the bow eye.

I've never had all of my line out to test it, but I'm confident that it would hold 'full out' in the worst of conditions.

I just finished this same project and I purchased my chain and rode from Defender Marine in Waterford CT. They were $200.00 cheaper than Boatersworld or West Marine and that was for 25' of 1/4" chain and 275' of 1/2" plait line spliced. They have a rigging shop there that will make anything you want. The plait is supposed to be the best as it marry's up to the gypsy best and it lay's down in the anchor locker kind of like chain so it flows easier and stores better. I got instruction from groulperjim here on CP and it sure made things easier. Run a search under the name grouperjim and he walks you thru the different steps and it will make it easier.

ppem45":rnaasoag said:
............ got instruction from groulperjim here on CP and it sure made things easier. Run a search under the name grouperjim and he walks you thru the different steps and it will make it easier.

keep this up............and i'll have to buy a bigger hat. :wink: :mrgreen:

BTW the 8 plait comes with what is called an "exotic" splice to the chain. if your windlass starts to chew on the splice and fray some of the ends............clip and burn the ends again, then coat with a couple of thin layers of the clear rope whip form WM. the splice fraying will stop.

Get the 8 plait line. Believe me, the 3 strand is going to hockle and not lay right. As Jim said, it will come spliced. You don't want a hard splice.

I, like Mega, used the figure 8. His shackle idea wouldn't hurt. Good backup stop.

Regarding how you add line for deeper water that will run through the gypsy....If anyone has a solution for that, I'm all ears.

I've got the same boat you do an the anchor locker won't hold 500' of line and 30' of chain. I sure would like more line than the 300' I have when I'm out in 150' of water.

I agree with the 8 plait. I have the 3 strand and this is my second time having to replace it in less than a year with the 700 Pro Fish. It jams up every single time. Most annoying thing on my boat to this point. Anyways, you would have to splice the line together in order to get it to go through. So my suggestion would be to just get the length that you need because youre not going to want to splice rope in the middle of the ocean. Either that or youre going to be pulling in a lot by hand.

In my anchor locker there is a tab with a 5/8" hole in it that i pass the line through and put an overhand knot on it and it cant come back out. Just stick your head down in there. I would imagine most have it.

If you have 3 strand and it is binding/twisting/knotting or in general not acting right...and you don't want to just change it out or spend more money... try this:

Get all the rode out and lay it all out and "unwind it" if there are any kinks. Then put it all in a tub and add your favorite fabric softener.... go ahead and add the entire jug.... add water to bring up the level to cover the rode.... lelt soak overnight.... reload. I do believe it works and it is a cheap fix.

Richard

I've used that trick with docklines too Richard.

Put your docklines in a mesh laundry bag and toss in the clothes washer.
During the rinse cycle, add fabric softener (a normal amount for a typical laundry load)
After the spin cycle, remove from the mesh bag and air dry.

All lines will be clean and very supple.

I tried unwinding the line and soaking it in fabric softener. Neither works. It seems like it binds whenever the load from the anchor isnt straight ahead which in a heavy wind is hard to keep. So basically the line is coming over the bow roller just not in the dead center and then the windlass takes the rope and shoves it in the front of the opening and jams itself on the gypsy.

danielb":bqnc4l55 said:
To keep the rode from hockling use a swivel mounted at the end of the chain near the anchor, when the rolde is played out and retrieved the twists and turns will work out naturally.

You mean like this?

It still hockles with 3 strand.

8 plait.

Attachments

• 100_1742 (Small).jpg
    100_1742 (Small).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 751
Just went with the 8 plait line and a swivel myself this year after fighting with hockles on the 3ply. For some reason, I never got the fabric softener trick to work for me. If you're planning on 500ft of line, that might even fit in the locker with 8plait. Doubt you'd make even close with 3ply though. The 8-plait line takes almost no room in the locker.

springer99":3qd0c2bw said:
............ If you're planning on 500ft of line, that might even fit in the locker with 8plait. ..........

8 Plait :!:

i think you're right......that's 350ft......i could have got a another 200 in there!

Attachments

• J3072x2304-05466.jpg
    J3072x2304-05466.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 684
iltfish":3ts01zch said:
Is there a special swivel that i should use at the end of the chain near the anchor?

Ignore the shackle. I have since removed it and inserted the link directly into the swivel pin.

Boaters World $29 for the small stainless, $55 for the large stainless. Minus any going out of business discounts.

Attachments

• Anchor Swivel (Small).jpg
    Anchor Swivel (Small).jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 647
i on the other hand did not skimp on the swivel.......mine was $85 and man it really swivels. never any twist in the chain. it has ball bearings and requires very little lubrication/maint. the main advantage of a premium swivel is that the anchor (Delta) rotates and docks effortlessly over the Windline roller guide without smacking the pulpit.

Attachments

• J3072x2304-05463.jpg
    J3072x2304-05463.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 637
iltfish":5noaihai said:
Is there a special swivel that i should use at the end of the chain near the anchor?

Yes.
When doing a search, the item is known as a "jaw-to-jaw swivel".

Back