Winterize raw water washdown / livewell pump

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
My raw water pump and livewell pump share a single thru-hull fitting. The livewell pump sits on top of the shutoff valve. I think it has a bypass to allow water to flow to the washdown pump. How does one go about winterizing these pumps? How do you get antifreeze to flow through each pump and the associated hoses? I assume this must be done when the boat is on land, but can't figure out how to do it.

To be honest... I don't do much with mine.

Once the boat is out of the water, I open the thru-hull and the discharge lines... let it drain, and call it done.

We don't get as cold as you do, or for as long... so your mileage may vary.

I pull the hose off of the ball valve and stick into gallon of antifreeze and turn on pump to run thru system.

There is no hose between the ball valve and the livewell pump. The pump is mounted directly on the ball valve. I'll get down to the boat on Sat and take some pictures.

I just run mine dry for a few seconds and put the boat away for the winter nap. Never had a problem.

Here is a picture of how my livewell pump is mounted directly to the shutoff valve. Any idea on how to winterize this pump? I am not that keen on just draining the water from it, and would like to pump antifreeze through the pump and the lines. Can this be done from under the boat when it is on land?

Attachments

• Parker pump.jpg
    Parker pump.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 847
The challenge is that there is a screen of sorts on the bottom of the boat for the water pickup. don't know if you can remove it, but an alternative is to put some antifreeze into a bucket and use a hand held bilge pump to shoot it up into the thru hull while running the pumpe for 30 seconds or so. Would be messy, but would get antifreeze into the system.

Another alternative is to come at the pump from the top of the hose where it connects into your live well and just pour some antifreeze down after you have run the water dry.

I have a 3' section of hose with a connector that screws onto the intake of the pump. In the winter, I unscrew the intake hose and open the seacock to let the water drain. Then I attach my 3' section of hose, stick it into a 1 gal jug of the pink anti-freeze solution and pump the jug empty. Works like a champ.

For the freshwater tank and pump, I pump the tank empty, pour in 3 gal of the pink anti-freeze solution, and them pump until pink fluid comes out the garden hose connector on the side of the hull. Also works like a champ.

Dave

aka

Maybe use Fake a Lake????

Probably easier to just disconnect and run the stuff through though.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... &page=GRID

All-10544.jpg

My raw water pump and livewell pump share a single thru-hull fitting. The livewell pump sits on top of the shutoff valve. I think it has a bypass to allow water to flow to the washdown pump. How does one go about winterizing these pumps? How do you get antifreeze to flow through each pump and the associated hoses? I assume this must be done when the boat is on land, but can't figure out how to do it.
did you ever figure this out trying to figure it out myself on my 2300

What YOU have is a Rule Dual Port Livewell pump. There is No water standing in it, if the boat is out of the water.

There is NO screen, other than the Corse bronze screen attached to the bottom of the boat.

Your washdown pump should be mounted vertical with the motor on the Up side. Disconnect one of the hoses.... It's real simple with no tools needed. A Gate lock slipedes back and the fitting comes out of the pump on the end of the hose. Just make sure any water trickles out and then put it back together.

Your Done.

We don't winterize Boats in Fl.

What warthog said... I have the same arrangement on my 1801. The bait well pump is self draining (like the outboard). I remove the cap from the wash down fitting, run the pump long enough to get air, then turn it off. Remove the screen from the wash down pump filter and let it drain completely. Then put the screen back on and let it go.... I've owned the boat 8 years and have had multiple hard freezes. The only time I had any damage was when I forgot to drain the filter housing.....

I know someone that uses something like this. hook this up to a bottle of the rv antifreeze and put up on gunnel cover the intake with this and have someone turn on the pumps until the pink stuff comes out

Attachments

• IMG_0311.png
    IMG_0311.png
    668.5 KB · Views: 1
My 2017 1801 has a Shurflo baitwell pump. The only sure thing about it is it will burn out every year or so (with winterizing) and $$ will flow out of my wallet for replacement cartridges. When did Parker start/stop using Rule pumps?

Last edited:
SureFlow aka No Flow.... All boat manufactures use SureFlow.... Obviously because they can buy them CHEAP. If you get 2yrs out of one consider yourself Lucky. Then you replace it with a Dual Port Rule.

Remember that if you decide to winterize a baitwell system with antifreeze, you will need to flush the HELL out of it prior to putting any bait in the baitwell next season. “Non-toxic” definitely doesn’t apply to sensitive and often expensive baitfish.

Back