Yamaha F150 maintenance question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
I have a pair of F150s from 2007, and will be entering my 8th year. I only have about 300hrs on the engines. Yamaha recommends a timing belt replacement after 1000 hrs or 5 yrs. Two questions: Is it possible to inspect the timing belt to see if it warrants replacement? If not, what is your opinion on the need to do this in my case? Thanks.

Yes....Once you pull the plastic covers off the top of the motor's they are in plain sight.

Now let me for warn you......Those 150's are "Interference" motors.

Non Interference = Belt breaks and motor rolls to a stop.

Interference = Belt breaks and valves collide with the tops of pistons.....Not Good!

Where did you see 5 years? I have the same year motors and just checked and it only says 1000 hours, nothing about 5 years.

I just looked at it online. My mechanic said I was fine until 1000 hours. I'm not sure if that means he looked at it or if he was just going off the recommendation of Yamaha but I probably won't do it until I'm closer to 1000 hours.

We were in a similar situation 300 hours and 2005 motors. We opted to change the timing belts at 5 years, didn't feel the risk of severe damage if they failed was worth waiting.

Very easy to make a visual inspection. Check the rubber for cracks, signs of wear or other issues that might cause a break. I have 1000 hours on mine now and I plan to replace just because. :)

Steve

Back