Yamaha fuel flow meter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

channel islands John

Reaction score
I recently became an owner of a 2004 2520, and I love it. The fuel flow meter isn't working and I thought I would take on that project. I have twin yamaha 200s, so 2 sensors, but only one gauge. I got 1 new sensor and put it in, but I'm still not getting any reading on the gague... any thoughts on how I can get this system working?

I tell you what I’d do:

1.)what MFD are you running?

I have had excellent results
historically with the GARMIN GFS10 (buy two - one for each fuel line feeding the motor).
Hook it up to your NEMA2k backbone. Fuel use is displayed on your GARMIN MFD.
I’d bypass the Yamaha fuel management and use the NEMA2k

Complete install for both sensors and your nema2k would be 90 minutes.

I tell you what I’d do:

1.)what MFD are you running?

I have had excellent results
historically with the GARMIN GFS10 (buy two - one for each fuel line feeding the motor).
Hook it up to your NEMA2k backbone. Fuel use is displayed on your GARMIN MFD.
I’d bypass the Yamaha fuel management and use the NEMA2k

Complete install for both sensors and your nema2k would be 90 minutes.
2004 motors don't have nema2k interface

You're not interfacing with motors. I have a 2004 Yamaha HPDI 200 and just installed the Garmin GFS10 and with a NMEA link to the Garmin MED works great.

Sounds like I need to install a NEMA backplane to plug those into. My head unit supports nema but nothing else on the boat has nema functionality

2004 motors don't have nema2k interface

You don't need NEMA2K on the motors. That is what the Garmin GFS ( Garmin Fuel Sensor) 10 is for: Buy two of them.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/gar010-00671-00-garmin-gfs153-10-fuel-sensor.html
The sensor is installed AFTER the fuel water separator inline to the motors. The electrical connection goes to the NEMA2K backbone installed at the helm. You are reading the fuel flowing past the meters. They are very accurate ( less than 3% variance).

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garm...vP3ydsYn3snU6JqUxE_IXSWTPNkz1UVRoCHVEQAvD_BwE
Your Garmin MFD ( multi function display) would also plug into the N2k backbone. All your fuel data is presented on your screen in front of you.

What MFD are you running anyway?

Just installed a GFS10 this past summer with NEMA connection going to Garmin Echomap 94sv plus. Im running a 2002 200 hpdi. I had problems with filling my tank properly (vent line issues) but once I figured that out, the GFS10 is accurate to within 3% just as Sydngoose mentioned.

If I install a nema back bone in my 2520. What does the recommended setup look like? Back bone installed under the helm with 2 drop cables to the stern where the fuel line gfs10s are located?

You don't need two lines to the stern. You can screw 2 tees together in the stern, plug your gfs10's into those, put a resistor cap on one end, and a single extension cable to the helm tee on the other. Your gfs10 excess cables will be coiled and secured somewhere in the stern.
At the helm you will have at least 2 tees, one for power, and one for your MFD, with another cap on that end of the network. They make cables with multi connector hubs now, so you don't have to screw a string of tees together, if you have multiple things on your network.

Last edited:
It says these gfs10s can be connected to the analogue fuel tank sending unit to get fuel level also on the nema2000 display. Has anyone done that? How had us it to get the wires connected to the sending unit on a 2520? Is it easy to access?

Before you go and try external fuel flow sensors, you may want to look for a NMEA2000 plug in your motor wiring harness. It will be on the right hand side, a blue/white plug disconnected. Everyone will tell you it's not possible that yamaha put it there in 2004 and that's what they told me about my 2005TXRD, but I found it, hooked it up, and now I have fuel flow directly from the motors on my MFD. Let me know if you need help

Before you go and try external fuel flow sensors, you may want to look for a NMEA2000 plug in your motor wiring harness. It will be on the right hand side, a blue/white plug disconnected. Everyone will tell you it's not possible that yamaha put it there in 2004 and that's what they told me about my 2005TXRD, but I found it, hooked it up, and now I have fuel flow directly from the motors on my MFD. Let me know if you need help
My engines are 2003 models and don't have the connections. I looked for it already :(

Back