1801 Steering

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pescador4ever

Reaction score
All,

I have an ‘92 1801. While I was out the other day my steering started sticking in one direction. If I went the opposite direction it turned fine, however, the sticking was intermittent. It also only acted up at the beginning of my trip. I have not had any issues with the steering before, I also am not the only owner of this boat so I’m not sure if the cable has been replaced. Is my steering sticking intermittently an indicator that my cable is failing? Any ideas or advice are appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

Could be either the cable or the helm or at the motor. Has it been lubed ? Is it a non feed back? Disconnect at the motor and see how it feels, also see if the motor turns freely while disconnected.

If you end up needing cable change do yourself a favor and switch to hydraulic steering. It is day and night.

Could be either the cable or the helm or at the motor. Has it been lubed ? Is it a non feed back? Disconnect at the motor and see how it feels, also see if the motor turns freely while disconnected.

I greased up the slide at the motor via the zerk fittings last month. My concern is that it was not consistent. We basically went in a straight line for about an hour then once we started maneuvering looking for fish it acted up three or four time. Then magically, it was fine for the rest of the day. Intermittent issues makes it hard to troubleshoot.

You have to pull the steering cable out of the steering tube to properly lube and clean. Clean inside of the steering tube with a shotgun cleaning brush and gun cleaning solvent. Finish cleaning the tube with a cloth swab at the end of a gun cleaning rod. Clean the cable (much easier since it is exposed) with some fine steel wool until it shines. Buy the best marine lube you can find, lube tube and cable...reinstall. Twice per year is not too much.

You have to pull the steering cable out of the steering tube to properly lube and clean. Clean inside of the steering tube with a shotgun cleaning brush and gun cleaning solvent. Finish cleaning the tube with a cloth swab at the end of a gun cleaning rod. Clean the cable (much easier since it is exposed) with some fine steel wool until it shines. Buy the best marine lube you can find, lube tube and cable...reinstall. Twice per year is not too much.

Thank you, I’ll give that a try. I also want to feel the freedom of movement without the motor linkage hooked up. I’m hoping that the greasing will solve my issue. Thank you again.

Back