1999 2520 fuel tank removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_1

Reaction score
Well it looks like I need to remove the tank (126 gallon) and replace it as it has a bunch of gunk on the bottom and has had water in it for some time. We are putting new motors on it and pulled the sending unit out to inspect the tank and wow what a mess.
Can anyone help me with the exact locations to cut out the floor and where to get the new tank. I don’t think it’s cleanable, at least without removing it. Thanks

Attachments

• E86591EE-3CC8-448D-9289-DE4845EA5D48.jpeg
    E86591EE-3CC8-448D-9289-DE4845EA5D48.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2F4CFC10-1907-434D-9768-D4891383A2BA.jpeg
    2F4CFC10-1907-434D-9768-D4891383A2BA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • EB5546B4-0052-4F30-8287-669629EAA0D3.jpeg
    EB5546B4-0052-4F30-8287-669629EAA0D3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I would not pull the tank.....I would clean the tank.

Start with a electric fuel pump rigged with a large filter like a racor style. I have a old style carpenters tool box I built...The pump, filter and hoses are mounted to it.
Then you need clean plastic 55gal drums....Then you need a fuel/water separating filter.
With sender removed. and a length of copper tubing. Boat bow elevated so fuel is at back of tank.
Suck fuel from the aft corners it will go the the filter and with the special funnel sitting atop the 55gal drums into the drums.

Filter will pick up dirt and trap it....funnel will separate water...You will need to dump off that water once in a while.

Now tank is empty. Now add 5gals of fresh clean fuel with this added to it double dose.
Let sit overnight.....Next lower Bow on trailer so fuel runs to front of tank. Let sit overnight. Raise Bow again.....Suck that mess out. Now Do it again with fresh 5gal and adding Star Tron......raising and lowering Bow overnight.

Next change the filter on fuel pump. Using the fuel/water funnel again....pump the fuel back into the tank. Add Star Tron to that fuel.

Yes...This process will take a bunch of days.....Cheaper and faster than a tank change. Obviously change the boat filters also. Mark date on filters when you change them.

I've done this to several boats. You want a fuel pump that delivers at least 100GPH.

EDIT:......looking at those pixs closely ....have several filters to change out on your pump rig.

I would not pull the tank.....I would clean the tank.

Start with a electric fuel pump rigged with a large filter like a racor style. I have a old style carpenters tool box I built...The pump, filter and hoses are mounted to it.
Then you need clean plastic 55gal drums....Then you need a fuel/water separating filter.
With sender removed. and a length of copper tubing. Boat bow elevated so fuel is at back of tank.
Suck fuel from the aft corners it will go the the filter and with the special funnel sitting atop the 55gal drums into the drums.

Filter will pick up dirt and trap it....funnel will separate water...You will need to dump off that water once in a while.

Now tank is empty. Now add 5gals of fresh clean fuel with this added to it double dose.
Let sit overnight.....Next lower Bow on trailer so fuel runs to front of tank. Let sit overnight. Raise Bow again.....Suck that mess out. Now Do it again with fresh 5gal and adding Star Tron......raising and lowering Bow overnight.

Next change the filter on fuel pump. Using the fuel/water funnel again....pump the fuel back into the tank. Add Star Tron to that fuel.

Yes...This process will take a bunch of days.....Cheaper and faster than a tank change. Obviously change the boat filters also. Mark date on filters when you change them.

I've done this to several boats. You want a fuel pump that delivers at least 100GPH.

EDIT:......looking at those pixs closely ....have several filters to change out on your pump rig.
I appreciate your ideas but I’m afraid I’ll never get it clean with the amount of sludge we can scrape off the bottom just us a long extension. Putting brand new 200’s($34,000) on her so we can cruise offshore in confidence.
any other advice out there? I’ve got a mechanic who is capable of doing either job.

Back