21 SE difficult to get on plane

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricochet

Reaction score
Just getting started with my new to me 2015 21 SE with Yamaha 150. Don’t really have much experience here. I’m having a bit of a challenge consistently getting the boat on plane - looking for some very BASIC advice as to how others with same boat do it. I’ve only had the boat out a few times – when water is flat, no problem other times it seems bow just wants to go up, and up to the point where it’s doesn’t seem safe. Engine is trimmed all the way in. Assuming I don’t need trim tabs just to get on plane? What am I missing here?

Could be a mechanical issue – I plan on having a tech come out with me just to make sure (and check things over). When I brought the boat, the Yamaha tech told me prop might need a LITTLE work – but before I get into prop size engine height etc., just looking for basic advice from others with same boat. BTW, it’s just me and my wife on the boat and a full tank of gas. I’m about 180 – she’s about 130 (so she says) – she sits in front of the console on cooler.

Thanks!

Parkers are notorious for riding stern heavy. They require A LOT of tab use. I have a 25SE, and start out with tabs fully down while giving the boat full throttle. As it starts to come onto plane, I back off on the throttle, then adjust tabs accordingly. Even running, I generally have tabs down at least 1/2 way. Take a look on here about all the members adding oversized tabs and/or Permatrim. I did add a Permatrim and overall like it. I think the boat feels a little less sporty in calm conditions, but it definitely helps smooth out the ride in chop. It also helps plane at a lower speed.

Ricochet":b0b34o3a said:
Just getting started with my new to me 2015 21 SE with Yamaha 150. Don’t really have much experience here. I’m having a bit of a challenge consistently getting the boat on plane - looking for some very BASIC advice as to how others with same boat do it. I’ve only had the boat out a few times – when water is flat, no problem other times it seems bow just wants to go up, and up to the point where it’s doesn’t seem safe. Engine is trimmed all the way in. Assuming I don’t need trim tabs just to get on plane? What am I missing here?

Could be a mechanical issue – I plan on having a tech come out with me just to make sure (and check things over). When I brought the boat, the Yamaha tech told me prop might need a LITTLE work – but before I get into prop size engine height etc., just looking for basic advice from others with same boat. BTW, it’s just me and my wife on the boat and a full tank of gas. I’m about 180 – she’s about 130 (so she says) – she sits in front of the console on cooler.

Thanks!

Just my experience for comparison. I have a 2520 XLD. For the first year of ownership I did as Sailphish mentioned, and it worked well. (except, I don't have Perma-trim). The past 2+ years I hardly ever use the trim-tabs except to balance a load port to starboard. (people-load; wind conditions, etc). To get on plane I tilt the motor down, and as I get on plane, I raise it to mid-way then leave the engine at mid-tilt. I ride a little tad bow-high, but that is by choice as it helps to keep spray off the windshield. My tabs are the factory-install long thinner ones. I've learned on this site that short wide ones are better, and when mine break (as will ALL things on a boat!) I'll install the short wide ones...

Thanks for the info and quick responses, makes sense - will save me a lot of time / trail and error - much appreciated! , I will give it a shot next time I'm out.

You should not need trim tabs with your set up. The 150 is a very strong 150 probably the strongest 4S on the market. I would look for some prop adjustments before I would be investing in trim tabs.

You should not need tabs to get it on plane. Tucked all the way under should make it jump on plane pretty easy. I have had a 23SE w/225 and 21SE w/200 both had no issues planing. I friend of mine has a 21SE w/150 and it also has no issues. What do you have stored in the stern? Post a pick of your prop and the numbers on it if possible. It sounds to me like you are propped (higher pitch) for more top end speed and not for getting the boat up quickly.

windknotnc":2idts60n said:
You should not need tabs to get it on plane. Tucked all the way under should make it jump on plane pretty easy. I have had a 23SE w/225 and 21SE w/200 both had no issues planing. I friend of mine has a 21SE w/150 and it also has no issues. What do you have stored in the stern? Post a pick of your prop and the numbers on it if possible. It sounds to me like you are propped (higher pitch) for more top end speed and not for getting the boat up quickly.

Thanks - will do. Don't have the specs off hand. I would much prefer easier planing than higher end speed - maybe a new prop in my future. And nothing in the stern - just me, my wife and a full tank of gas.

just me, my wife and a full tank of gas.

Why are you riding around with a a Full tank of gas....Your hauling a BUNCH of weight.

80gal of fuel weighs aprox 500lbs. A 150 is on the weak side for power on a 21ft boat.

A lot depends on operator also. Tuck that motor in.....Hit the throttle....How are you hitting the throttle?
A 150 your gonna have to pretty much nail it....You can't pussyfoot around with it.
Then as the boat comes up.....Start trimming it up some.

You might just be to soft on the throttle. Practice hammering the throttle all the way and backing off as it starts to plane. Imagine you are pulling a water skier out if the water. It’s better on the engine to do that than to do the long slow “lugging” to get it on plane thing. You probably don’t even need the tabs to get on plane. We usually just save the tabs for keeping bow down in rougher water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windknotnc":2fwtf9xs said:

Thanks Windknotnc - per other posts I'm sure the operator has a lot to do with it (and will try their suggestions), but below is a picture of my prop - I did see 17-M 14 1/4 stamped on the prop - assuming that means a 17 pitch, 14 1/4 inch prop. Just doing a couple of searches and it seem like 15 pitch was more common - which I'm assuming would give me a little more power and help with planning. Also - I was told the prop could use some work - blade edges look a little worn and thin which hopefully you can see in picks

Speed is definitely not my priority - another dumb question - would lower pitch give me a little more control over the boat when docking and in close quarters?

warthog5":2osusqbs said:
just me, my wife and a full tank of gas.

Why are you riding around with a a Full tank of gas....Your hauling a BUNCH of weight.

80gal of fuel weighs aprox 500lbs. A 150 is on the weak side for power on a 21ft boat.

A lot depends on operator also. Tuck that motor in.....Hit the throttle....How are you hitting the throttle?
A 150 your gonna have to pretty much nail it....You can't pussyfoot around with it.
Then as the boat comes up.....Start trimming it up some.

Thanks Warthog - boat came with a full tank and only had her out a few times, but good to know - don't need that much gas especially for my intended use. And yes operator needs more practice.
BTW - thanks for the previous advice on the Garmin GT50 (with 1242xsv) worked out well- reminds me I need to post pics

Thanks Warthog - boat came with a full tank and only had her out a few times, but good to know - don't need that much gas especially for my intended use. And yes operator needs more practice.
BTW - thanks for the previous advice on the Garmin GT50 (with 1242xsv) worked out well- reminds me I need to post pics
I had a 2000 Parker 21SE with 130 Honda, which is a much weaker engine than the Yamaha 150. With full tank and two people it got on plane OK. With 6 people it was sluggish but got on plane eventually. The SE's modified V hull shape gets up on plane easier than a deep V. The suggestion to get any extra weight out of the stern compartments is good. If it works for you running a half tank of gas does make quite a difference in weight and ease of getting on plane. I now have a 2002 Parker 2110, repowered with a 150 Yamaha which is a heavier boat than the SE and has a deep V. It gets up on plane very well, cruises at 20 knots at 4200 rpm, and tops out at 31 knots at 5900 rpm. The prop is a Yamaha performance series 14-1/4 diameter by 16 pitch ( a bit less pitch than your 17 pitch) for livelier performance. It was a bit stern heavy, so I added a SE Sport 300 hydrofoil onto the anti-cavitation plate. It made all the difference in the world, planes quicker, holds plane at lower speeds, acts like trim tabs but is inexpensive and works great on a 21 foot Parker.

Last edited:
I can tell you the two things that will help you the most with your issue . The first is to install a set of transom wedges. They come in 5° or 7°. Either one will help tremendously. Yamaha outboard's have a limited amount of negative pitch and therefore the wedges are very effective. They only cost about $100. Second is to use a propeller with a lower degree pitch. You may have to try more than one. A good boat shop will let you use several to find one that works best for you. I would also recommend that you do not stab the throttle to try and get on plane. A slow and steady increase in throttle will help your outboard lasts a lot longer. A 150 horse power engine has more than enough for your boat. If it is set up correctly it will handle all your needs with ease and be a pleasure to operate!

Thanks regnitteo and leohayday for the info - very helpful. I am leaning towards the new prop as a first step. There were some issues pointed out with the one on there anyway - so might be a good time to pitch down too - speed is definitely not my priority . Thanks again!

FWIW, I never have less than a half tank unless I’m coming back from a long trip. But I have a 2120 SC with a lot more weight forward and an F200.

I have a 21 se with 150 2 stroke. Get trim tabs they make all the difference in the world.
I always keep a full tank of fuel. 95 gals. onboard. with trim tabs all the way down and motor tucked in I can get on plan with almost no bow rise and boat just hops onto plane.
the trim tabs also allow you to adjust for when your large brother in law keeps moving from side to side.
I was able to install Bennett tabs myself and they have lasted longer then 10 years.

FWIW I have a 2000 SE w 150 Ox66. I put on a hydrofoil and it’s good. Cruise at 4200 @ 32 mph. Wot at almost 40mph. I religiously record fuel usage and average 1.9 mpg. Yammie is a fuel hog. In following seas perhaps trim tabs are better but I’m good with current setup.

Thanks!
I have a 2001 2110 walkaround. I recently repowered with a 200HP Suzuki. Even with that engine I had trouble getting on plane. If I drop the engine down as far as it can go and lower the trim tabs I seem to get on plane within 5-7 seconds. Once on plane I can raise the engine and trim tabs and run well on plane. My biggest problem is that when I'm running at low speed the boat has a tendency to wander left and right. If anyone has a remedy to this I'd love to hear from them.

Latest posts

Back