2120 lists at rest

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

page47

Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller :lol:

A friend of mine bought a new 2120 Sport Cabin this year with a second-station installed and an F200. Great boat.

At rest, the boat lists to the starboard side. At first, we didn't think it was all that bad and kinda thought the batteries, second-station and helm are all on the starboard, so that's probably how it goes.

Well, he recently had the bottom painted (now we can see a clear horizontal line at the same place on both sides) and looking at it at rest in the slip the boat clearly lists to the starboard side by about 6 inches. That just doesn't seem right. Once the captain is at the helm, it is worse.

We had a hell of a time getting it on the (roller) trailer like this and ended up having to ballast the port side with a giant fat guy so that she would go on the trailer evenly (rollers evenly spaced between the chines). Without the giant fat guy for ballast, she was on the trailer so tilted is just didn't look safe at all.

Now his dealer has told him, "that's how all 2120s are".

So is the dealer right? Does your 2120 list at rest by about 6 inches (doubtful)? What could be the problem/solution?

Thanks.

I have a 2007 2120 with the second station and a 150 Yamaha 4 Stroke. My boat doesn't list at all. Someone is blowing smoke if they say that they all list. I would go back to the dealer for sure.

UnWired":2twdb482 said:
.. you need to go to West Marine and get yourself a permanent Fat Guy mount for the port side.

Out of stock... Backorder OK. :D

The answer is the obvious......you've got too much weight stbd of centerline. Now you just need to figure out if it is something you have done, or something the factory has done.

In days not to far gone, it was common for hand laid hulls to be a little heavy on the PORT side due to the hull being laid up/sprayed/chop gunned etc while sitting (propped up) with the port side down. Some how, the port side got a little extra. Additionally, it is also possible that the engine can be rigged off center which will also cause a list.

Personally, I don't think it is a factory or rigging issue......but not impossible. Check the engine to make sure it is mounted on center.

Things that you can do to add useful weight to the port side are to add a FW tank and motor under or behind the bench seat. Carry and spare battery under the bench seat. Load your emergency equipment and tools (the heavy stuff) in the port side storage compartment in the v-berth.

FWIW I used to listen the Capt Ron complain incessantly about how heavy his 2320 was in the rear..........then one day I saw a pic of his boat with 50 gallon live well mounted on the swim platform. I'll I'm saying is check the obvious, maybe strip the boat of all gear, check for list, then load the port side accordingly............

My 2520 leans to the starboard. I have rear station and SL model. Water is allways trapped astern on the starboard side. I load my 150gt cooler full of ice on the port and it levels it out. Not 6 inches maybe 2-3"

My 1801 does the same thing! The guy at the marina tells me all Parker seem to do that. I still think it's my trailer rollers are not set up properly. I too have the marina guy lean down on the port gunnel while I'm cranking her in so that the keel lines up centered on the trailer, instead of a few inches to the side. This irritates me as rain water collects on the starboard stern of the boat in my driveway. And center consoles of all boats, are symetrical by design. Both batteries to extreme sides, fuel tank in the center, etc. I just can't buy that explanation, but again I never checked her in the water yet. Actually, due to the livewell inlet under the hull, it will never achieve that last inch of centering until I move the aft rollers out from center. Maybe both batteries mounted in the port box will remedy this. I'll be watching this thread real closely to see what's been determined about this. Very puzzling!

Also remember that a on a single engine boat, the torque effect of a RH turning prop will cause a port lean while underway which will be even more noticeable on a shorter hull. This will tend to even out a stbd list while underway.

My 89 2520 lists just slightly to starboard, with the helm weight and a second station I've never given it a second thought. The difference in water scum line when measured last year at pull out was less than 3/4 inch. I think all boats list to some degree, its just more pronounced on some than on others. Storing my bucket of inline weights on the port side evens it out pretty good.
My previous boat, a 04 1801 also listed just slightly to starboard, but the single battery was on that side so I never worried about it. It too was off by 1/2 to 3/4 inch.
A 6" list seems really excessive, I'd try to empty the boat completely and remeasure, then shift all extra weight to port side on reloading. Especially tackle boxes and spare anchor if you carry one.

I have a 2008 2120SC. It sits true as can be in the water. There is no boat, car, truck, or any other piece of equipment that can predict the end users use. So what we must ask and accept as buyers is what is our own use and physical impacts upon what products we purchase. Companies spend an enormous amount of money and time in predicting the end user safety and use of thier product. We as a society sometimes forget and to our own fault expect these companies to compesate for our own imperfections. When a prosduct is designed it is based upon ideal conditions with a safety factor (percentage of error) included. As an engineer please be considerate of what constraints products are designed to.

My 2320 with second station developed a very noticeable list to starboard, even though I have a kicker mounted on the port side.

Turns out I had a box of weights in the storage compartment to the right of the helm seat. I didn't think it amounted to much, but two 12# downrigger weights plus two 6# downrigger weights plus innumerable smaller weights really add up, and this compartment is about as far off centerline as you can get while still being in the boat.

Anyway, I removed most of the weights, and the list completely disappeared. In spite of what some have told you, I would not assume that your list is normal and that everything is OK.

I picked up my boat on april 18 this year and bought it new. When I got to the dock and tied it up, I noticed a list of a few degrees. I checked the bilge and found some water. So I emptied it out but the list was still there. Try checking for water in the bilge. When i pulled the accsess covers to the fuel tank I noticed some sand on the tank. I am wondering if the factory put a sandbag on the starboard side. I have contacted the daeler and he said he will check it out. At this point I have no equipment that would bear weight on that side.

I took the 1801 out again today (after reading/commenting to this post) and forgot to check for a list while in the water. I did however, derive a method in which I don't need to have someone push down on the port gunwale in order to kick the keel to starboard to load straight on the trailer. As I mentioned in the above post, I think that only my trailer rollers need adjusting. Anyway, I kept a compact stack of empty inexpensive Wal-Mart buckets on board. When I crank the boat onto the trailer, I have the buckets scooped full of water from over the side and placed on deck as far to port as possible. The boat never loaded straight onto the trailer before this without any help. Inexpensive, temporary, and disposable ballast.

Uhhhhhhh.....something is not right here everyone who has listing boats. Parker manufactures every hull on the same standard and consitently checks for fiberglass and gelcoat thickness. There must be something more to those with these listing problems. I have had two parkers, 2320 and 2520xld, and i have never noticed any listing except when very low on fuel which is normal for just about any boat. Start thinkin' and stop stinkin! There has to be more to this then meets the eye!! :?

FWIW I used to listen the Capt Ron complain incessantly about how heavy his 2320 was in the rear..........then one day I saw a pic of his boat with 50 gallon live well mounted on the swim platform. I'll I'm saying is check the obvious, maybe strip the boat of all gear, check for list, then load the port side accordingly............[/quote]

The complaints were with the live well empty!
Obviously with it full the problem is worse!
Funny how my 2003 compared to the newer ones, Parker moved the gas tank forward !!!, Which was the basis of my complaints!
I've got a friend up here in Boston harbor (Ma) who has the same boat, a few years older with no engine bracket.
His boat came factory with a 2stroke, (before Parker started using Yamaha 4strokes)
His boat has this problem worse than mine. never had the problem with the 2stroke !
Like I said in the past.
The boat was designed for the weight of a 2stroke when it came to weight distribution!
For a few years (like my 2003) they just stuck the much heavier 4 stroke on with no changes to the boat.
Now they have the tank move forward !

From what I've seen on my small boat, as little as 100 pounds or less placed far off-center can have an influence on listing. I'm wondering how much affect a 430-pound outboard (F115) can have by parking it steered to one side or the other. Easy enough to check. With the bigger models, the beam doesn't increase as much as the weight of the outboards. May be more pronounced with a larger OB.

This thread is about my 2120. The original post is slightly mis-spoken in that there is actually a battery on both sides. The scum line was established with the boat essentially unloaded. There were 4 dock lines and 2 bumpers in the stbd side basket next to the helm, and a few residual sinkers and trolling rigs, and all of the safety gear in the bench to port. That's about it. Non-factory equipment includes only a radio and chart recorder to stbd, and an anchor winch whose motor is slightly to port of the centerline. I had the boat on a lift slip since I got it (new) last year, and I took it to the dealer this spring to make sure the bottom paint would be right after I decided to change to a regular wet slip.

Good ideas, folks! Perhaps a row of 5 gal. buckets of water to port will get my stbd bottom paint line above the surface in her slip. I bought a set of roller guides for my trailer. Haven't had time to get them on yet but I don't see how it can fail, assuming I get the boat on at all. The idea about trapped water has crossed my mind. I don't see water next to the transom where the bilge pump is (where it's easy to look), but perhaps I'll open up the screwed down access covers and see what's there. Just about every time I trail the boat the cabin floor gets wet (whether it is raining or not), and the bilge pump runs sometimes on a steep ramp.

I just saw how radical the list actually was a little over a week ago. I'm working on a letter to Parker today. We'll have to see what they suggest...I'm thinking Parker may want to do something to correct it.

Back