21SE for Mass North Shore waters?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickd9283

Reaction score
Greetings all, I was recommended to this forum as the best possible place to ask the following question/recommendation. So, I’m in the market to buy my first boat. Not new to boating, just to owning. The 21SE has really caught my eye for the type of boating I’ll be doing which is 75% fishing with 1-2 friends, 25% lounging in the sound with wife and 2-3 friends.
This model with the forward seating satisfies the lounging aspect, and it definitely fits my K.I.S.S outlook on most things I own. Love how rugged and easy maintenance a boat like this looks.
HERES THE QUESTION: most of my fishing will be done hopping between islands in Salem Sound for stripers.. most of these islands are within 2 miles of each other so never really far from shore. However, I’d like the ability to make 3-4 offshore trips, weather permitting, for some bottomfishing and shark/tuna action. This is possible 15-20 miles out from the harbor.. would this boat be up to the task? Almost EVERYONE on hulltruth says to get a deep V because they heard this boat pounds too much to be a comfortable ride out that far.. but someone private messaged me and said to ask this question over here instead for the obvious reason that people here will be speaking from experience instead of basing their opinion on what they’ve read about the pilot house models. I figure a PH would be a little more rattling because of how far forward the console is, but with the SE I would imagine that to be alleviated a bit?

Am I going to regret the purchase for my intended use?
Thanks in advance
-Nick

The 21SE is a great all around boat and I believe it’ll do just fine for you. Pick your days and learn how to work the trim tabs and you’ll be surprised at how it will handle it. It will ride a little rough because it’s not an extremely heavy boat. Would a larger deep V do it better? Absolutely! But if you’re only doing that trip 3-4 times a year, I don’t think it would be worth the upgrade.

The 21SE is a great all around boat and I believe it’ll do just fine for you. Pick your days and learn how to work the trim tabs and you’ll be surprised at how it will handle it. It will ride a little rough because it’s not an extremely heavy boat. Would a larger deep V do it better? Absolutely! But if you’re only doing that trip 3-4 times a year, I don’t think it would be worth the upgrade.
I think a lot of the people on Hulltruth do a lot, maybe even primarily, trips of 20+ miles just about every time they go out, so I can see where they might be heavily biased to a DV. Yes will definitely be picking days, and if I gain more confidence as I gain experience over the next few years, I can always upgrade something a little bigger. I feel like the 21SE checks a lot of boxes for a perfect beginner boat with the ability to go a little further offshore when the conditions are right

Get the deep vee version of the 21 foot hull (no longer made but now offered as a 22). It has a good ride for a boat that length and it is not tender. There are 21 DV CCs that come up for sale occasionally.

The mod vee does not ride well and you will be a lot more limited and less comfortable.

Greetings all, I was recommended to this forum as the best possible place to ask the following question/recommendation. So, I’m in the market to buy my first boat. Not new to boating, just to owning. The 21SE has really caught my eye for the type of boating I’ll be doing which is 75% fishing with 1-2 friends, 25% lounging in the sound with wife and 2-3 friends.
This model with the forward seating satisfies the lounging aspect, and it definitely fits my K.I.S.S outlook on most things I own. Love how rugged and easy maintenance a boat like this looks.
HERES THE QUESTION: most of my fishing will be done hopping between islands in Salem Sound for stripers.. most of these islands are within 2 miles of each other so never really far from shore. However, I’d like the ability to make 3-4 offshore trips, weather permitting, for some bottomfishing and shark/tuna action. This is possible 15-20 miles out from the harbor.. would this boat be up to the task? Almost EVERYONE on hulltruth says to get a deep V because they heard this boat pounds too much to be a comfortable ride out that far.. but someone private messaged me and said to ask this question over here instead for the obvious reason that people here will be speaking from experience instead of basing their opinion on what they’ve read about the pilot house models. I figure a PH would be a little more rattling because of how far forward the console is, but with the SE I would imagine that to be alleviated a bit?

Am I going to regret the purchase for my intended use?
Thanks in advance
-Nick
If I’m lucky enough to get to use my boat this year, 2023 will be my 18th season with the same Parker 2520 SL (Mod-V). I have 840+ hours on my second engine after putting on 1800+ hours on my first engine. I estimate that I have 10,000 hours of time spent on the boat when all my drift time is added in. At least 90% of my time on the boat is open ocean. I’m sure there are guys with more experience then me running a Parker Hull but I think I’m qualified to judge the performance of the Mod V.

I fell into a deal on my boat when it was 1 year old and had only 39 hours on it that was so good, I literally had less then 5 minutes to buy the boat or it was gone. There was no option buying a Deep V at any $# even close to the opportunity I had to buy the Mod V for at the price it had just been listed for that morning. I bought the boat and 18 years later have 0 regrets with the deal I got.

You’re talking about a CC vice a pilot house but it’s still the hull. Parker makes a rugged designed Mod-V hull that makes for very comfortable drift fishing in a wide variety of conditions. The Mod V is just as “safe” as a Deep V in terms of not sinking on you, it’s also slightly better on fuel economy

Then there is “the ride”. You cannot debate or runaway from the fact that for any given speed and any given size of head sea, the Mod V WILL POUND MORE then the same size Parker Deep V, you can’t sugar coat it and you can’t hide from it. I run my boat 50+ miles offshore all Summer long. In fact that’s really all I do with it from mid July till October. My Mod V gets me where I need to go and back but if I had a DEEP-V, most days I could get to and from my fishing grounds a bit faster and a little more comfortably. I know exactly how to make most effective use of trim, engine trim and cargo loading to optimize the ride and they help tremendously BUT same techniques used on a DEEP V would yield better performance then the same techniques do on my MOD V.

The MOD V isn’t unsafe and in conditions bad enough to make a Parker Mod V unsafe will be equally as threatening to a same size Deep V. If you’re drifting the Mod-V will actually be more comfortable and stable but when it’s time to get underway, at any given speed, all other conditions being = the Mod V will deliver a more uncomfortable ride then the Deep V and subsequently you will need to travel at a slower speed in the Mod V then you could in the Deep V to achieve the same ride.

Last edited:
I have a 23 DVCC and fish exactly where you plan to fish. I am out of Marblehead. 95% of the time you will be absolutely fine with a mod hull. Lots of fishing options depending on wind direction and strength. The biggest advantage is that you don't have to run far for great fishing. we call it "concierge fishing".

Plus, there are plenty of days with flat seas for a run offshore. Just be sure to head back before the sea breeze out of the SE kicks up!

I have a 23 DVCC and fish exactly where you plan to fish. I am out of Marblehead. 95% of the time you will be absolutely fine with a mod hull. Lots of fishing options depending on wind direction and strength. The biggest advantage is that you don't have to run far for great fishing. we call it "concierge fishing".

Plus, there are plenty of days with flat seas for a run offshore. Just be sure to head back before the sea breeze out of the SE kicks up!
Dave that’s great feedback, especially considering well be in the same waters. Do you ever head to Jeffries? Friend of mine trailers his boat to Rockport and launches from granite state pier and says he’s able to get ~10 miles out near the cove in about 30 minutes on calm days without having to go above 4200 rpm. That’s the kind of offshore I’d be doing.. the kind where I see a string of nice days in the forecast a week beforehand, and then double check the night before (and of course keep updated throughout the trip). He said he’s only ever twice had to cut his trip short due to incoming weather but that he had no issue getting back long before the weather arrived. I mean you can see land from 10 miles out on most days so I’d imagine you’d have to be pretty clueless to not see building skies before it’s too late at that distance

Get the deep vee version of the 21 foot hull (no longer made but now offered as a 22). It has a good ride for a boat that length and it is not tender. There are 21 DV CCs that come up for sale occasionally.

The mod vee does not ride well and you will be a lot more limited and less comfortable.
Beware that the new 22CC is a 17 degree deadrise and the prior 21DVCC was a 21 degree deadrise. The new 22CC is really not a deep vee.

FWIW, I run an 1800 and cover the kind of water that you are looking to. There are days that I launch in Marshfield, run to P-Town, then down to Chatham. I’ve gotten the call and had to run from the SWC to Gloucester, or Cuttyhunk to Pt. Judith. Splashed in Westport to fish The Claw and Dump, and made some truly nutty runs too.

Point is, I am still alive and the most dangerous situations that I have been in are almost always close to shore due to confused seas around inlets and shoals.

As for the fishing, skip the forward seats and go for bean bag chairs 😁

Priorities my friend, priorities.

FWIW, I run an 1800 and cover the kind of water that you are looking to. There are days that I launch in Marshfield, run to P-Town, then down to Chatham. I’ve gotten the call and had to run from the SWC to Gloucester, or Cuttyhunk to Pt. Judith. Splashed in Westport to fish The Claw and Dump, and made some truly nutty runs too.
I fish the southern edge of those waters out of RI. The fact that you did that in an 18 footer is a testament to your fortitude. I guess you are a lot bolder than most people. That or maybe you have a high risk tolerance.

I think hard about running from Newport to Cuttyhunk, about 20+ miles, and I run a 23 deep vee. I have a low risk tolerance.

Many posts in this thread are providing advice for blue sky days. When the wind and seas pick up the waters mentioned can get rough to the point of being dangerous for small craft and those aboard.

Two points. First, Captmatt is absolutely right. Weather can change quickly and be pretty scary. Always better to be on dry land wishing you were out on the water than the other way around!

As for Jeffries, we just go from MHD, but I have a 23 DV. That said, we often see smaller boats when out there, and a short run from Rockport is very doable, again with an eye on both the weather and the wind direction.

However, all I've ever fished for on Jeffries was tuna. Is that your plan?

I have a 21SE and I would say it does everything you are looking for. I have gone out mostly inshore but have hit some huge swells in Buzzards Bay, RI, and the south islands as well as Cape Cod Bay, Boston Harbor, etc. And on those nicer days, I have taken the kids and wife to local beaches where they enjoy the bow seating area. For sure, if the waves are approaching small craft advisory, you will get wet but that's a CC design. I've been out tuna fishing and for haddock on other larger boats and there are days where I could have made the trip on the SE so agree it's about picking your days. Maintenance has been super simple. I trailer it so can also target different waters based on wind direction and where the fish are....good luck.

I fish out of Cape May NJ and have been running a 21SE for quite a few years now. I downsized from a 28' CC to suit my interests (inshore/near shore). Everyone's previous comments have been spot-on regarding mod V vs DV. IMO the mod V is like a swiss army knife. I can fish in a foot of water or go offshore on the nicer days. It has a ton of space for a 21 and is awesome on the drift. Adding a trolling motor gives you tons of flexibility. For me, it's a great fit, however, everyone's needs are different and for that there are options.

Last edited:
Two points. First, Captmatt is absolutely right. Weather can change quickly and be pretty scary. Always better to be on dry land wishing you were out on the water than the other way around!

As for Jeffries, we just go from MHD, but I have a 23 DV. That said, we often see smaller boats when out there, and a short run from Rockport is very doable, again with an eye on both the weather and the wind direction.

However, all I've ever fished for on Jeffries was tuna. Is that your plan?
Tuna when they’re running but also bottomfishing (cod when it’s legal, haddock spring time, blue sharks in summer)

I got my 21se last June, turned 100 hours around the new year. Sure the boat pounds but it is a simple efficient cheap boat to run/own. I've had mine 44 miles from the inlet or 32 miles east of nj inlet. Sometimes we can only do 7-10mph and every once in awhile we can make 30+mph. Trim tabs are essential in the bay and ocean. Mine came over propped and some screws are rusting but that's pretty much the only problems.
We made 3 tuna trips(not the best inshore bite this year) and the rest were flounder and striper ocean trips. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the boat unless you could afford a 23se for a little more rear deck space.
1 tuna trip we were side by side w/ a 21 deep v parker cc and we got to the spot at the same time each only making 10-15mph in the big swells. So not in all conditions is the deep v far superior but I'm sure a tight chop he would be more comfortable.

I think a lot of the people on Hulltruth do a lot, maybe even primarily, trips of 20+ miles just about every time they go out, so I can see where they might be heavily biased to a DV. Yes will definitely be picking days, and if I gain more confidence as I gain experience over the next few years, I can always upgrade something a little bigger. I feel like the 21SE checks a lot of boxes for a perfect beginner boat with the ability to go a little further offshore when the conditions are right
Based on what you described as they type of fishing/activities you do I think it's a solid choice. I have the same hull and also live on the North Shore and couldn't be happier. It's the perfect striper boat and has the ability to do pretty much anything offshore....you just need to be a captain and pick your days based on weather.
The shallow draft allows for skinny water fishing, easy sandbar/beach activities, and is totally capable of tuna fishing.
Hope that helps.

Back