2300DV Maiden voyage - no gas gauge!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman1001

Reaction score
Alrighty team, 1st time out this year and no gas gauge. (Yamaha gauges - also have the NMEA 2000 gauge hookup and gas doesn’t work there either)
Any tips for trouble shooting? My 1st stop will be the wires on top of the sender. I’m hoping there is reasonable access to that! (Accra from within the ctr console?)

Many thanks!

Sounds like its going to coast a ton of money. I'll take the boat off your hands.
All kidding aside get out your multimeter and start as you said with the sender. Probably has the OEM float style and is in need of an update to a reed style.
Digital or analog gauge? Is the gauge showing anything with the key on and then drop to empty when off?

Sounds like its going to coast a ton of money. I'll take the boat off your hands.
All kidding aside get out your multimeter and start as you said with the sender. Probably has the OEM float style and is in need of an update to a reed style.
Digital or analog gauge? Is the gauge showing anything with the key on and then drop to empty when off?
Thank you @tomc585 ! Ok, yes, digital gauge which shows a blinking bar, just one bar as if to say, no gas. When key is on. (I just put in 25 gallons). The nmea2000 readout on my Garmin also say empty but I know the tank is not.
Re. Reed style sender. Any specific one recommended?

Check the ground on the tank and the wire at the sender. Clean them up nice and shiny and torque down just enough. Not too much.

Check the ground on the tank and the wire at the sender. Clean them up nice and shiny and torque down just enough. Not too much.
Will do! Question, so I can mentally prepare myself. Is the sender accessible from the deck port under the center console?

Open up all the plates, either pry off or screw off and see what you can see. Get ready for it to be ugly. One of them outside the console or within it should be the pickup, sender and/ or fill and vent.

Cut the batteries and move the sender through the operating range once you get it out. If the tank is the same as a 2320, it is in the rear inspection port. I always seal my inspection ports with lifeseal. It keeps them from spinning and obviously from leaking onto your tank. You hear of people stripping the screws...good luck man!

Testing---- Key ON.......Remove wire on Center connector {Pink if it hasn't been changed and Ground it to GND The other wire.

NOTE: Key OFF - disconnect center/Pink wire......Using jumper with alligator clips attach to pink wire and other end to GND......Turn key ON....Gauge should go to FULL.

This tests the gauge and all the wiring.....Gauge should go to Max FULL. If it does that....Replace sender....

https://www.moellermarine.com/product-category/fuel-accessories/fuel-senders-gauges/reed-style/

With key turned on check for 12v.dc, @ sendng unit..if u have it great .shut off battery switch.cut the 2 wires at sendng unit.measure ohms at sender 33,000 full tank ,240,000 full..prob bad sender measure tank dept..new sender 1" shorter

Testing---- Key ON.......Remove wire on Center connector {Pink if it hasn't been changed and Ground it to GND The other wire.

NOTE: Key OFF - disconnect center/Pink wire......Using jumper with alligator clips attach to pink wire and other end to GND......Turn key ON....Gauge should go to FULL.

This tests the gauge and all the wiring.....Gauge should go to Max FULL. If it does that....Replace sender....

https://www.moellermarine.com/product-category/fuel-accessories/fuel-senders-gauges/reed-style/
@warthog5 thank you! For clarity, your two steps above. ‘Key on and key off’. These are the same steps, no? (Except key position.)

Ok, with key on a no wires cut, 12.5 volts at the sender.

removed wires, no reading on two different ohm meters. Hmm. I am measuring between the center post and the ground tab. (Correct?)

here is a pic of the top of the unit.02F190D4-F055-4FAA-AFA2-9674D65B6084.jpeg

Did a wire break off on that center post on the sender? When it’s that green, you pretty much have a corrosion insulated jacket on the post.

Did a wire break off on that center post on the sender? When it’s that green, you pretty much have a corrosion insulated jacket on the post.
Nope, wire was pretty well attached. Seemed like all that corrosion was/is below where the wire eye attached.

Reactions: Efx
I know its been said a thousand times before but.....Order the reed style sender. Put witness marks on the tank and sender for reference. Remove the sender and measure to the bottom of the tank to determine your new senders length. When installing note the 5 hole pattern is NOT symmetrical ( i think there's a better word for that) The holes will only line up one way! You may get 4 in and struggle with the last 1. Start all screws/bolts before you tighten anything down. Check it carefully.

What TomC said :)

You don't measure the voltage.....You GND the center Wire to GND with Key ON. Gauge swings to FULL.......

This proves gauge and wiring are Good and Sender is Bad.

With key turned on check for 12v.dc, @ sendng unit..if u have it great .shut off battery switch.cut the 2 wires at sendng unit.measure ohms at sender 33,000 full tank ,240,000 full..prob bad sender measure tank dept..new sender 1" shorter
What TomC said :)

You don't measure the voltage.....You GND the center Wire to GND with Key ON. Gauge swings to FULL.......

This proves gauge and wiring are Good and Sender is Bad.
All good fellas. Sender fully tested and it’s shot. Tank depth is 15.5” from bottom of tank to the lip of the top of the tank.
Many thanks all. Really, everyone’s experience and willingness to chat about this stuff is awesome!

Back