2320 SC - Open back or Not ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmoore

Reaction score
Just curious what any members experience is on this. Not worried about weather here in San Diego and would love the open back feel, but concerned cleaning would be a pain and would rather not have to worry as much about electronics etc....I see the benefits and drawbacks of both options, but might buy a new boat and wanting to make best decision. The boat will be trailered. If anyone has a photo of a 2320 open back would love to see that too. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, everyone has there reasons for or against anything. It's no different for pilothouses. When I bought my 2320 I wasn't actually out searching for an open back, just a 2320. When I bought mine it was based on a good price and condition of an older Parker (1997). Finding the open back, was just a bonus in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I would take a full pilot house also but one thing i noticed (compared to my friends non open back) is that I am still always involved in the conversation with the boys while out fishing. I know there have been times on my friends boat where we rotate who is at the helm solely because he often felt like he was missing out on some of the fun (this might seem foolish but its the truth) since he is stuck in the room by himself. Of course when it's bad weather, every ones squeezing in the cabin. Also, I like to fish with my kids and I feel it's easier helping them out while also staying in control of the boat, quickly in/out of cabin (a 2nd station would fix that though). Really it comes down to a preference, for me the open back works out great. I don't have a ton of pics but here is a link to the one I actually bought last year which has a few good pics of it.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15372

I am new to Parker and I have a 2120sc. I am in New England and I feel like the totally enclosed will be very helpful come November but I do feel isolated from the good times while I am driving. I was also worried that I would roast in the summer heat but with all the windows open I am very comfortable. I think I would go for open back if I lived somewhere that was warm all year round. I do like that when I leave the boat at the marina or anywhere else that I can lock the cabin door and leave things inside.

My cabin full enclosed Parkers (both of them) are EASY to keep the inside mint clean! I don't think the open backs can stay as clean and fresh. I super anal retentive when it comes to my boat. Open back was NOT an option as it just wouldn't stay clean and tidy, dust free/ dirt free/ fish grime free…but that's just me.

I think it just depends on how you plan to use your boat and also how you store it. I agree with MadGar on the 2nd station option with closed back if your primary use is fishing, especially trolling. I use mine for overnighting sometimes so my AC wouldn't work so well with an open back. I also like being able to lock up my cabin at the docks and on the storage yard. Again, it's all about your needs, your operating environment etc... The separation from the crew thing? I just don't have an issue with that except when trolling and I need to go back and forth assisting with bringing in lines/fish. I just don't see how the open back would help that much with that. The 2nd station mounted on the bulkhead would fix that. Both options are great as long as you are happy with it.

I have a 21SC in FL. Love the cabin with the door. Leave door latched open almost all the time. In hot sun, with windows open cabin remains cool. Definitely get both front windows that open.

In the winter, yes it does get cool in northern FL, I have a small propane heater for early morning fishing. Temperature does go down to low 30's

I have one lingering thought, sometimes, only sometimes, I wished I had gotten the 2nd steering station.

Another suggestion, if I was ordering the boat again, I would get the higher bow railing.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have found an open-back 2520 that I bought from the original owner.
I cannot imagine having to go back to being isolated in the cabin while everyone is enjoying the dance floor that is the cockpit in this boat.
Because I'm not isolated, and because the cabin essentially becomes an extension of the cockpit area, the boat just feels larger and more open.

The open-back is a no cost option that frankly, more dealers should consider when marketing these sport cabin boats.

When I replaced my drop curtains, I had the canvas guy eliminate the windows for a couple of reasons:
1.) I never run with the curtains down, even in cooler weather.
2.) The drop curtains roll tighter without the windows in place.
3.) Eliminating the windows keeps prying eyes at bay.
4.) and finally, eliminating the windows made the job less expensive. :)

Prior to having this set made, my canvas guy noticed that I was using clothespins to keep the center section open about 12" to allow for ventilation.
What he did for me was to add 3 additional snaps in that panel so I could eliminate the use of the clothespins.
Finally, I had a matching rear station cover fabricated. The whole job was done in Sunbrella, and it has held up very well.

Attached are some photos showing the various methods I use when running, at the dock, or entertaining.

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3059.jpg
    IMG_3059.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 380
  • DSCN0007.jpg
    DSCN0007.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 380
  • megabytePD.jpg
    megabytePD.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 378
6 weeks since I took delivery of my new 2520XL open back and 2nd station. Even with the 2nd station I find myself going back and forth from the cabin to the deck a lot. The open back really opens up the traffic flow and space in the boat. I also had the starboard rear seat deleted for even more open space. My dealer mentioned that the OB is (very) slightly more costly than the closed cabin, presumably due to the cost of the canvas back. I have yet to hang the curtains but notice no issue with dirt in the cabin. The only thing that shows any dirt occasionally is the cabin floor from tracking stuff in from the deck, but that's going to happen irrespective of cabin design. if I had it to do over again, I would purchase the same exact configuration as I have now (only exception being that I wish I had gone with the 2820 OB).

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input and posted pictures. I'm putting a deposit down this week on a new one and certainly have some decisions to make !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am hoping I don't met syndgoose on the water ! Lol boat is old and clean as it will get. Maybe after buying a trailer, retirement and move to Florida it will change or buy something newer. I wanted to buy grouper jim boats but a new kitchen and other re modelling projects were high priority

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Brent":17luafg7 said:
It is well made just don't like the color

I didn't like the 1996 era color either. :D

Attachments

• Image-F72DCB4C8B5311D8.jpg
    Image-F72DCB4C8B5311D8.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 303
When I had mine replaced, I converted from dots across the top to a track rail and rolled edge.
Much tighter.

Let me know if you need a photo.

Brent":1te2hd7m said:
cool and appreciate a pic some time

Try these.
Found them in my photo library.

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 298
  • DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg