2520 ENGINE OPTIONS

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off even if that happened the fumes would be so diluted by the time it entered your cabin it would be harmless. We are talking about a couple horsepower tiny little engine in the open air. How much fumes do you think are going to get inside your cabin? You aren't parked inside your garage you know. You suck down more carbon monoxide every days sitting on the freeway and your worried about a tiny generator that has an exhaust port that is 1/2" in diameter 15 ft away in the open air. You have more of a chance dying from getting struck by lightning. Live a little

You and I don’t share much if any common ground in terms of opinion in regard to running a non marine generator on a Parker pilot house. I’m also not out to convince you that I’m right, so if you like the idea by all means do it.

I had a 24 Stamas with 233 Merc out drive for 30 years. If I trolled in a following wind the cabin, and even the deck, would get fumes from the exhaust gas rising out of the water behind the boat. I hated getting seasick on my own boat.

I had a 24 Stamas with 233 Merc out drive for 30 years. If I trolled in a following wind the cabin, and even the deck, would get fumes from the exhaust gas rising out of the water behind the boat. I hated getting seasick on my own boat.
This is all you need ladies
1666630941409.png

We’ve had some power outages over the years and I’ve run my home on a gasoline generator for a few days at a time. I’ve always run the generator outdoors, at least 20’ from the house on the garage side of the house with the garage door closed. Again the generator is OUTSIDE of the garage not in the garage. Even with the generator outdoors there have been times when I have absolutely smelled fumes from the generator in the house. Every time I see one of these posts with someone running a gasoline generator on a small boat it makes me question the safety of doing this. I just don’t see how you run a gasoline generator that is not designed or more importantly does not have a proper marine exhaust system on a small boat, especial dangerous trying to air condition an enclosed wheelhouse.

That generator/ ac combo looks like a darwin award in the making just for carbon monoxide poisoning, let alone the fire & electrical hazards…..

I admire Out On The Reef for his dedication to boating and life on the water, but many of his modifications and projects are sketchily done at best. And NONE of them are done in accordance with industry standards. They work for him and that’s great, it’s his boat. But you couldn’t pay me to install one of his modifications on one of my customers’ boats.

@ultimatejay, the issues that you’re dismissing have killed enough people over the years that the ABYC has an entire standard dedicated to preventing them. The danger becomes even more acute when there’s no wind, and the heavier than air exhaust fumes from that gunnel-mounted generator accumulate in the cockpit- which is where that AC unit draws its air from.

Also, if you’re gonna be rude and call other members names, take it back on over to The Hull Truth- that’s not how we do business here.

I admire Out On The Reef for his dedication to boating and life on the water, but many of his modifications and projects are sketchily done at best. And NONE of them are done in accordance with industry standards. They work for him and that’s great, it’s his boat. But you couldn’t pay me to install one of his modifications on one of my customers’ boats.

@ultimatejay, the issues that you’re dismissing have killed enough people over the years that the ABYC has an entire standard dedicated to preventing them. The danger becomes even more acute when there’s no wind, and the heavier than air exhaust fumes from that gunnel-mounted generator accumulate in the cockpit- which is where that AC unit draws its air from.

Also, if you’re gonna be rude and call other members names, take it back on over to The Hull Truth- that’s not how we do business here.
Didnt know people here have such thin skin, geez. I thought I was really being nice when I said ladies instead of what I really wanted to say. At the end of the day I can do whatever I want and you can do whatever you want. So far the guy from Out on the reef has had no issues. Besides Parkers dont come with A/c so I dont know what you're talking about with A/C. I dont plan on putting A/C on my boat so the chances of high amounts of carbon monoxide getting into my open cabin with all the doors and windows open is zilch. And I dont give a rats behind about marine compliant. Thats all a bunch of made up crap so places like Marine West and all the other boat companies can charge quadruple the prices on the same crap you can get for regular household and autmotive use.

Didnt know people here have such thin skin, geez. I thought I was really being nice when I said ladies instead of what I really wanted to say. At the end of the day I can do whatever I want and you can do whatever you want. So far the guy from Out on the reef has had no issues. Besides Parkers dont come with A/c so I dont know what you're talking about with A/C. I dont plan on putting A/C on my boat so the chances of high amounts of carbon monoxide getting into my open cabin with all the doors and windows open is zilch. And I dont give a rats behind about marine compliant. Thats all a bunch of made up crap so places like Marine West and all the other boat companies can charge quadruple the prices on the same crap you can get for regular household and autmotive use.
Well hey man, not sure why you’re on here asking for advice, clearly you know everything already 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just don’t be an asshole to people that are giving you reasonable, correct answers to questions that you’re asking, or just in general, and everything’s cool. You can make as many potentially hazardous, non-industry standard modifications to your own boat as you like.

I’m sure the Out on the reef guy is a nice guy, and probably a cool dude to fish with. But the whole generator strapped down on the gunnel just seems kind off to me.

Hey maybe 20 years time he never has a problem. And that’s cool too.

But an intelligent discussion should discuss potential hazards and mitigations.

25 years of working in shipyards, safety should be number 1 so don’t half ass it.

Murphy shows up at the worst moments.

25 died off the coast of California in a charter boat fire.

The investigators suspect household chargers and lithium batteries as a possible cause.

I’m sure the Out on the reef guy is a nice guy, and probably a cool dude to fish with. But the whole generator strapped down on the gunnel just seems kind off to me.

25 years of working in shipyards, safety should be number 1 so don’t half ass it.

The investigators suspect household chargers and lithium batteries as a possible cause.
25 died because the crew fell asleep and I believe a lack of safety devices and up to date equipment.

What ever the cause or multiple causes.

Be safe and don’t fuck up on the water. It’s unforgiving.

Multiple little problems can create one big one.

You mean the ABYC compliant stuff?😄
You can have all the ABYC stuff on your boat but if you dont take care of it and use common sense, it does you no good. 99.9 % of deaths come from drunk retards and people with no brains. I was fishing inside the harbor one day with my Dad and son and we were about 20 yards away from the main red buoy in San Pedro harbor. The big one thats like 15-20ft high with 10 seals on it. Well some idiot in a sport cruiser starts coming right at us and I see him coming full speed right towards the buoy and us. We waved and yelled as the idiot drive right over the buoy at about 25knots and went airborn. Seals went flying and we were scared shitless. We yelled a couple profanities at them and threw our hands up and shook our heads. We got the name of the boat and turned it into the coastguard. Turns out they have cameras everywhere inside that harbor so be aware. They found the clown and fined him and made him pay for all the damages to the buoy. Justice was served. I'm not worried about what I do, I'm worried about all the other asshats on the water. Thats what you need to be affraid of. Not 1/100000000000000000000 ppm of carbon monoxide in your cabin.

Life jackets save lives.

Not so long ago. I guy was on the back deck in the PNW on a beam bag sea sick, no life jacket.

Captain looked back and discovered he wasn’t on the beam bag anymore.

Never found him. They think he got up to vomit and lost his footing and fell overboard.

Life jacket would have saved his life.

If you have a pilot house use caution with auto inflatables. If the boat capsizes and turtles. As the water comes in the cabin, you’ll be pinned to the floor fighting for your life.

Life jackets save lives.

Not so long ago. I guy was on the back deck in the PNW on a beam bag sea sick, no life jacket.

Captain looked back and discovered he wasn’t on the beam bag anymore.

Never found him. They think he got up to vomit and lost his footing and fell overboard.

Life jacket would have saved his life.

If you have a pilot house use caution with auto inflatables. If the boat capsizes and turtles. As the water comes in the cabin, you’ll be pinned to the floor fighting for your life.
Very true. I'm one of those guys that dont go out unless the weather is nice. I always check the weather and have a game plan if it gets crappy. Always tell someone my route and how long I plan to be out, have Epirb, extra hand held radio, boat us towing, etc. If you go far, its always best to go in groups if you can

99.9 % of deaths come from drunk retards and people with no brains.
Hyperbole generally doesn’t support a fact based discussion. In matters of safety, I prefer to follow the industry standards that in part a there to keep us from killing ourselves.

But it’s your boat so go ahead and huff all the fumes you want.

You can have all the ABYC stuff on your boat but if you dont take care of it and use common sense, it does you no good. 99.9 % of deaths come from drunk retards and people with no brains. I was fishing inside the harbor one day with my Dad and son and we were about 20 yards away from the main red buoy in San Pedro harbor. The big one thats like 15-20ft high with 10 seals on it. Well some idiot in a sport cruiser starts coming right at us and I see him coming full speed right towards the buoy and us. We waved and yelled as the idiot drive right over the buoy at about 25knots and went airborn. Seals went flying and we were scared shitless. We yelled a couple profanities at them and threw our hands up and shook our heads. We got the name of the boat and turned it into the coastguard. Turns out they have cameras everywhere inside that harbor so be aware. They found the clown and fined him and made him pay for all the damages to the buoy. Justice was served. I'm not worried about what I do, I'm worried about all the other asshats on the water. Thats what you need to be affraid of. Not 1/100000000000000000000 ppm of carbon monoxide in your cabin.
I’d love to see all those seals go flying!

Fished 55 years in South Florida, I would think the pilot house would be like a sauna for 8 months of the year.

Hyperbole generally doesn’t support a fact based discussion. In matters of safety, I prefer to follow the industry standards that in part a there to keep us from killing ourselves.

But it’s your boat so go ahead and huff all the fumes you want.
I find it funny all the guys here worried about a tiny little 2 horsepower generator on the very back of the boat next to the 1, 2, 4, 6 engines that are running all day long. SMH

I'm pretty sure most here don't differentiate. From Watergoat; "I hated getting seasick on my own boat." CO poisoning is CO poisoning regardless of the source. Adding more of it to your cockpit and the risk associated with it is what people here are advising on. No one is losing sleep over it.😴

Back