2820 RADAR MOUNT

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navigator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to confirm that the radar mount I'm looking at is the proper one for my application - 2820. I'm looking at the Battlewagon "A64:6".....aft leaning, 6" rise, 4 degree down angle.
Thanks

I have to stop short of totally confirming it but that’s the one used on 2320’s and 2520’s, I cannot see any reason the 2820 would be any different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just installed a Simrad Halo 24 on a 12” battlewagon aft leaning and 4 degree down.
7f7309a9d83ed4c055e9c83376574658.jpg

I’m working on putting the new Raymarine Quantom on my 2120. I have the rocket launchers on my roof. Does anyone have advise what size rise I should order. Is 12” better then 6”? I think I prefer the look of the 6” but I would like the best performance rather then looks! What’s the difference of the aft lean and forward lean for performance?

Thanks for any arise! I’m also looking for outriggers next!

I’m hoping to order a mount this weekend but don’t understand the aft vs the forward lean. Does anyone have advise? I have the 2120. I’m thinking the 12” act lean with the 4 degree tilt. What is my best option? The tuna season is getting close!!!

The aft and forward lean are merely for looks.

M2cw It is personal preference on the rake and height but needs to be off the roof and have not installed one to date

The new units are solid state , may have Doppler technology, and don’t think the mounting height is that critical on a Parker.

Radar is "line-of-sight," so the height of your antenna and the height of the target are most often the limiting factors that determine range.

1.2NM x (square root of antenna height in feet) + 1.2NM x (square root of target height in feet) = Range

An example Your radar sits 16 feet above the water on your boat's hard-top, and the vessel you're looking for stands 16 feet above the water's surface. That's 1.2 x 4 + 1.2 x 4, or 4.8 + 4.8 equals 9.6 . No matter how expensive and powerful your radar may be, it will never see this other boat until it's within 9.6 nautical miles.

I like the Garmin units bc I have a Garmin MFD, and would network.

I would select a radar that easy to use and learn all of the features.

Sometimes Auto settings work, sometimes not, and there is a lot settings to learn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the input! I have already purchased the quantum Raymarine with the MFD. we have a local dealer in Petaluma, Fred Fritz’s Electronics, that is super knowledgeable on Raymarine products. He actually works with them on some of the features and can make warranty repairs. He fired up my unit with me at his shop and went over everything and even customized some of the settings. He is in his 70’s and still a stud when it comes to Raymarine products. Probably didn’t get the cheapest price but I’ll pay extra for his customer service!! He suggested just mounting the unit directly to the roof but I rather get a mount. I really just want to be able to see the ships when I pass through the shipping lane 30 miles offshore on the way to albacore fishing. If I can see bird piles it would be a bonus. Thanks again for all the input. This site is awesome!

mheltunen":3gw5wjga said:
The aft and forward lean are merely for looks.

This is accurate. Most people prefer the aft leaning mounts as they look nice with the lines of the forward windows and the windshield, but it's purely personal preference.

The tilt, on the other hand, is designed to compensate for the fact that Parkers tend to ride a little bow high. Hence, the forward tilt brings the radar to a more "even" plane. I can say from experience that mine is not compensated with either a wedge or a mount, and while it works fine further out, it will start to shoot over buoys when they get within a hundred yards or so, depending on the trim of the vessel. Not a problem during the day, but definitely not ideal at night.

Also concur with the fact that no matter how powerful your radar, or what the advertising material "calls" the radar, you're unlikely to see much of anything past around 10 miles on a nice day. Big ships and landmasses may show up at a longer range due to greater height and better reflectivity. But on your average smaller boat, you're getting most of your radar reflection off of the engine block and not much else. I advocate installing a radar reflector on some part of a tower/mast if you have the ability; it helps big ship radar "track" you better especially when you're moving.

48d01d165da34a0c6576d0ee7cab967d.jpg

I mounted my 24” Fantom right to the roof. I used the mounting studs, nuts and washers to give me a 5 degree forward tilt. The picture is perfect under way. I think it looks cleaner without the mount. I also tilted my antenna forward one notch. My $0.02

I think it looks cleaner without the mount.

I'd disagree with that.... 4in or 6in. Rear Rake.

I don't think a reflector is needed

Depends......It's a safety item to keep you from getting run over.

If you boat in a area with a Lot of ship traffic...It's a good idea.

The problem with the reflectors is where to put them on smaller boats....
They are kind of ugly and kind of dangerous if you fell into one.

I think a radome on a stick looks just like a radome on a stick and a radome on the roof looks like an integral part of the boat. That’s what makes this country so great. We are able to have our own opinions

Brent":ogk2erd9 said:
Where do you mount a radar reflector on a Parker

The bow pulpit railing above the anchor?

Depends on your configuration. There's lots of options out there. Plastimo makes a tubular one that is very compact and easy to mount on a stanchion, base of an antenna, a component of a tower (if you have one), or even on it's own foldable mounting base, much like a masthead light or an antenna. There are also collapsible ones that can be "flown" from a flagpole or outrigger while anchored, or put on a pole in an overhead rocket launcher... you can get as inventive as you want on this one.

Whether it's needed or not depends on how badly you want to be seen. Like warthog said, if there's a lot of traffic out there, or you run/drift through shipping lanes at night, or in the fog, or whatever, it may be in your best interest to boost your radar reflectivity. I can tell you from personal experience that little fishing boats like ours do not show up well on large vessel radars.

An even better (but much pricier) option is to install an AIS system, which will guarantee you a spot on any large commercial vessel's radar/ECDIS. But you're talking the difference between a $60 reflector and a $500 AIS transceiver, if your existing electronics will even support the add-on.

Back