Aluminum windows

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppem45

Reaction score
My boat is a 2003 and I have only owned it since last May. My question is, the aluminum on the inside of the window is all rough and needs some attention. If you rub it, it will come right off in your hand. The dampness over the years has made it pit and I know I cannot restore it to perfect but what should I do with it. Is there some kind of sealer that someone makes that after cleaning could be applied to stop or slow this process down? Also what would I clean it with? Thanks for any help I recieve.

those aluminum window frames are a real sore spot for Parker.

my 2320 is 2006. it has been meticulously maintained, cleaned, washed, waxed, dried, covered, and then stored under a structure in mild FL temps. after 300 hrs my interior window frames are starting to pit and chalk. i guess i'll just have to put up with it unless someone has a magic bullet.

woody wax and steel wool? says it will work but never actually tried. i put woody wax on my interior frames i also keep a damp rid container in there to help get out moisture. 12 bucks at home depot

BradV":2w7lm5mo said:
woody wax and steel wool? says it will work but never actually tried. i put woody wax on my interior frames i also keep a damp rid container in there to help get out moisture. 12 bucks at home depot

DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL. I did and the fine steel particles settled all over the boat and began leaving little rust spots.

Mine have pitted horribly. What seems to have stopped the pitting and helped significantly is this. Buy those red scouring pads. Like the green kind used in kitchen but get the red ones. They are like steel wool but leave no particles to rust. Then, apply CLR to the sponge and wipe down the frame. Let it stand for about 5 minutes then wipe off with a clean damp towel.

Everytime I come back from a trip, I just wipe down with the CLR and it seems to have stopped the surface corrosion.

Good Luck.

TheOtherLine":25qe39r5 said:
DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL. I did and the fine steel particles settled all over the boat and began leaving little rust spots.

Correct. Use bronze wool.

If you cannot find bronze wool locally, you can get it on the Woody Wax web site.
Bronze wool and Woody Wax will clean up those window frames quick, and protect them too. :wink:

pelagic2530":fzfxhj0j said:
mine ................. still work. :D :wink:

and i bet she still raises fish too. :)

i just want the visible parts of my boat to look as good as Kevin's bilge.

BTW CLR can be found at Home Depot over by the brooms and shovel area. i use it to remove hard water deposits/stains off the engine.......works good for that. might try a little and some bronze wool on the window frames.

Megabyte":7y4cu1la said:
TheOtherLine":7y4cu1la said:

Correct. Use bronze wool.

If you cannot find bronze wool locally, you can get it on the Woody Wax web site.
Bronze wool and Woody Wax will clean up those window frames quick, and protect them too. :wink:

Very good info to say the least , always wipe mine down but still pits. I might have to check woody wax and see if that cleans it up.

Thanks for the info.

I keep my 2510 covered (full cover) when not in use. I don't have any pitting on the window frames or hard-top tubing, but do have a bit on the seat pedestals. Maybe being on a trailer 100 yds away from the water and covered makes a difference.

Dave

aka

Porkchunker":1a7bxk7c said:
I keep my 2510 covered (full cover) when not in use. I don't have any pitting on the window frames or hard-top tubing, but do have a bit on the seat pedestals. Maybe being on a trailer 100 yds away from the water and covered makes a difference.

Dave

aka

Lucky you. You would think Parker would buy a product that didn't have these issues. Maybe it's just not possible.

I was beginning to get the pitting on the metal that supports the arm rests on the chairs and the back support rails. Damage has already been done as you can see it, but the CLR seems to have stopped it from getting worse.

I don't get it. I wiped it down with freshwater religiously when done. Used to coat with Boeshield. Still corroded. Very frustrating.

I wipe mine down with Fluid Film, similiar to Woody Wax.....makes no difference.

The fact that it only happens inside leads me to believe it is a ventilation problem. 2510 has no PH so no problem.

I have used Woody Wax on mine. It does work. The kit is about $50.00 at West Marine, but you may be able to find it cheaper at an online retailer. Application is a two-step process (a little time consuming), but it lasts for about 4-6 months.
-David
2005 2320 "Tunatango"

Mine is a 2007 and having the same window pitting issue. I used the Woody Wax first time and two trips later it was back. I used Comet on a wet rage to clean white powder off and wiped with WD-40 (carefully) and it has not come back all season. Now as a regular part of cleaning the cabin I wipe all aluminum with WD-40 and the pitting has stopped. I leave the cabin open and the smell goes away in an hour or two.

Back