Anything wrong/complaints with your new Parker?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the time when I fish, I catch and release.
For the few times I catch and keep (tourneys mostly), I have an Icey-Tek that sits across the transom. Perfect...

In the p`house, there is a 40qt Icey-Tek for beverages that remains stocked 24/7 for the season. :wink:

You want something to keep ice?
Buy an Icey-Tek. 8)

I have a '03 Parker cc with fishbox across transom. It is insulated and holds ice just fine. Keep in mind no fishbox will hold ice as good as a cooler. First of all, no good way to insulate lid. A Parker fishbox is huge. The thing is what, 5' long, 2' wide and a foot deep? Takes a lot of ice to do initial cool-down.

As for those who don't have a transom fishbox, where would you have Parker build one in? A fishbox in floor is useless. Always full of rainwater, sticks and trash. While running, sea water splashes in and melts ice. Requires a macerator pump to drain.

Lots of boats raise the front deck (nice trip hazard) and put fishboxes under the seats. Have you ever tried to hold up a seat with one hand and place a freshly gaffed hot cobia in the narrow fishhold? Not to mention a 30# king gaffed at stern, and carried "kicking and screaming" :D to the bow. :cry:

Lots of stuff looks great at the boat show. IMO, Parker has always taken a functional "real-world" approach to boat building as opposed to the "coolest, gee-whiz" approach.

My complaints are mostly minor and easily fixed:

1. No fuel cut-off valves...should be USCG required but are not...fixed myself
2. Fuel and water vents covers stuck out and were knocked off by the dock (multiple times)...fixed myself with Orca vents (which the factory now uses as OEM)
3. Small trim tabs can't overcome the weight of twin 4-stroke engines...fixed with installation of DoelFin like plates on the anti-ventilation plates of the OBs. I used Cobra Marine SS plates that bolt onto the bottom of the anti-ventilation plates. Another good design come from Permatrim. Many of you have swapped out the small 12"x12" Lenco tabs for 9"x24" Bennetts, which is the correct way to go.
4. Transom fishbox has insulation on the bottom, but not thick enough to do much good. I cram it full of ice and once in a while have to add ice during a long trip. Have been thinking how to add the expandable foam insulation to the bottom, and the addition of one of those auto window screens to the top. I've found a foam window screen that is reflective silver on one side. I think I can take two of them, glue/tape them end to end, cut to fit the top of the fishbox, and velcro them down. So...there may be a low cost fix in the works.
5. Aluminum frame of window is right in the middle of my forward vision. Can't be easily fixed on my boat, but Parker did correct it in the redesign of the XL version of the 2510.
6. No Owners Manual...fixed with the arrival of ClassicParker :D :D :D

Bottom line is that I've got one hell of a fishing machine with some minor things that I've been able to address by myself. Parker obviously has been listening to customer feedback because they fixed several of my issues with their redesign of the 2510 on the XL hull.

My interior window have oxidation on the corners has anyone
else had this problem.

mx beach guy":11n4keii said:
My interior window have oxidation on the corners has anyone
else had this problem.

yea, a little bit, also some wierd sort of reaction going on where the pilot's window frame meet the mechanism that opens it.... i dunno if its because of different metals and is galvanic, or what, but its wierd :?

Here is a pic of the fix for the trapped water issue above the bilge area on my 2006 2320. If you look close, you can see the water line about an inch above the deck. It was that way on both sides. I suppose the easiest way to fix it would be just to leave it sealed but drill a weep hole on both sides. I like having quick access....remove 5 screws and I have access to the Yamaha Command link relays and better access to the SW wash down pump and fuel filter head. I put that gray piece of trim on there to help keep some of the salt spray off the electrical components.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 5,966
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 5,965
One other curious thing. See the Max person/weight placard. My 2006 2320 says 9 people, the 2007 model says 6 people. Anyone know why that is? My fishing buddy has a 2007 and sure wishes his said 9. Not that I would ever want 9 people on my boat though.

grouperjim":1uqzbkha said:
Wicho:

That is the new Beckson 1424 hatch. 0 flex, 100 percent leak proof...nice. $89

jim

SOLD!>... That thing is perfect.... my list gets longer!....

Thanks for all the great pointers GrouperJim....... I might just drive over to left coast....!

Amazing!!

Oh - and I Think the coast guard changed the average weight of a person sometime in the last few years... So the conversion of weight to people is different. (Were getting bigger)...

Megabyte":1zpfupjq said:
In the p`house, there is a 40qt Icey-Tek for beverages that remains stocked 24/7 for the season. :wink:

The 40 qt Icey-Tek... :)

Image-AAD8C446065811DC.jpg

I went online yesterday to check them out. Looks like the name changed to "Yetti" via new owners I guess. Still looks like a great cooler. I like the squareness/tallness of it. It is not long and short like a regular cooler. The site says you have to pre-cool the interior with some sacrificial ice to make subsequent ice last. That's different.

jim

A common thread: PARKERS ARE ASS HEAVY. Gas tank is too far astern. Period. Will require a redesign. don't hold your breath. When you add a"West Coast style" bait tank it only makes a bad situation worse.

I jetted my F200 yamaha on my 2310 in favor of an E Tec 250. Weight savings : 90lb. Jetted the 4 stroke Yam 8 : another 90 lb. STILL ASS HEAVY. Fuel tank is TOO FAR BACK.!!!!!!!

Had I know this I probably WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT!

Killer cockpit- with the Armstrong bracket- BUT THAT ACCENTUATES THE ASS-HEAVINESS- AND I AM SORRY TO REPORT DOES NOTHING FOR THE OVERALL HANDLING.

bajadude":11gm4604 said:
A common thread: PARKERS ARE ASS HEAVY.
Wow, now that's one complaint I never heard about the 25' models. I make a point to add weight to the stern, as she runs much better with weight back there.

Of course, I run a mod-V lowly 14-degree deadrise hull. My best is about 40mph with a 225hp dirty 2-stroke on the stern. Once I had 10 people aboard, most sitting up back. With the extra 6-7 bodies @ say 140 pounds average ... yup, still hit 40 mph!

I think you have the 2310 based on your intro pics. You have a great boat. I have friends who have the same model and are very happy. Let me ask a few questions about how it is configured. Don' give up on it yet.

Exactly what motor do you have? What hole is the motor mounted in? Specifically, what prop are you using?

jim

DaleH":4ieluwgq said:
bajadude":4ieluwgq said:
A common thread: PARKERS ARE ASS HEAVY.
Wow, now that's one complaint I never heard about the 25' models. I make a point to add weight to the stern, as she runs much better with weight back there.

Of course, I run a mod-V lowly 14-degree deadrise hull. My best is about 40mph with a 225hp dirty 2-stroke on the stern. Once I had 10 people aboard, most sitting up back. With the extra 6-7 bodies @ say 140 pounds average ... yup, still hit 40 mph!

Dale,
The tank in the 23 is mounted much farther back than in the 25 models !
I've been making this complaint about my 2320 since day 1

Capt. Ronnie":3oqzfbsb said:
The tank in the 23 is mounted much farther back than in the 25 models ! I've been making this complaint about my 2320 since day 1
In the 25', my tank starts about 6-8" behind the cabin door to about 3' in front of the inside transom bulkhead, noting I have the full transom.

Do you mean the tank in the 23's starts just forward of the transom? How close?

To my knowledge, the gas tank in the 2310 has not moved in recents times. However in the 2320, Parker moved the gas tank forward in 2004 about 18 inches or so and added a 14 x 24 deck hatch over the bilge directly in front of the transom. The tank now begins just below the forward edge of the new deck hatch and runs up to the PH door which is as far forward as it can go. In 2004, the dual batteries were also move about 2 feet further forward onto a raised platform in the bilge.

Ronnie's boat is a 2003 2320. He has no transom deck hatch, as the tank begins where the transom box meets the deck and stops short of the PH door. He has a deck hatch in front of the PH door. The batteries are on the deck as far aft as possible in the transom box port and stbd.

Weight is weight, and CG (center of gravity) is CG. Boaters need to grasp the concept of weight and balance and how it affects CG and handling. It does not matter what type of craft it is. It is simply physics at work. I have more than 3000 flight hours in various military aircraft and rode ships for more than 15 years. So, I do have a little experience in this area. Ronnie and I have spoken at length as to how he can redistribute the weight in his boat so that the weight and balance would be essentially equal to the redisign in 2004. Again, weight is weight whether it be gas or batteries. Move one or the other, the boat knows no difference.

As far as Bahadude's 2310 and his assertion that Parkers are heavy in the rear; actually the Parker 2310 as well as the 2320 are very well balanced boats. The 2310 has a nice fiberglass cabin forward (ambient weight). The aluminum gas tank doesn't weigh much nor does that beautiful west coast livewell which was added. The aluminum Armstrong bracket with integrated flotation chamber doesn't weigh much, in fact it floats.

Now lets talk about the weight and balance. The four stroke engine is a little heavier but then there is the flotation chamber of the bracket. Although not much weight, subtract the weight of an oil tank/oil etc. associated w/ a 2 stroke. Now lets look at the gas tank post 2004. Standard aluminum tank positioned w/ aprrox 1/3 forward of CG, and 2/3 aft of CG. Above deck, the cockpit is essential bare (no extra weight porportional to the rest of the deck layout..the 3/4 marine plywood runs the length of the boat).

Lets relate these features to any other comparable boat. I'd say pretty much the same except the Parker is overbuilt (heavier (stern to bow) than the average hull).. a good thing. The gas tank (post 2004) in the Parker is essentially located in the same position relative to CG as most boats. However, this is where knowledge of weight and balance is important. Parker gas tanks are huge relative to the displacement of the hull. If YOU as a boat owner choose to run heavy and carry a lot weight in the tank (gas is 6.8-7 lb per gallon) one would assume that more than likely you are going on a long trip with a lot of gear and possibly lots of people, of which most would be loaded forward of CG to offset the weight of the gas. If not, then you have limited your boats handling capabilities by improperly loading the boat. Also, adjust the livewell to hold just enough water for the amount of bait.

As far as other factors you can adjust, use a nice heavy anchor with plenty of chain if you have a windlass. A 200 4 stroke is not enough power for a DV 23 Parker. A 250 is minimum. Check your cavitiation plate while running at cruise speed. Should be just below the surface or at the surface. Raise you motor accordingly. IF ENGINE ON A BRACKET, DO NOT USE A BOW LIFTING PROP, such a yamaha saltwater series or Mirage Plus. Use a 4 blade Mercury Rev 4 stern lifting prop.

Out of time, got to go.

jim

grouperjim":1pmr1a09 said:
A 200 4 stroke is not enough power for a DV 23 Parker. A 250 is minimum. Check your cavitiation plate while running at cruise speed. Should be just below the surface or at the surface. Raise you motor accordingly. IF ENGINE ON A BRACKET, DO NOT USE A BOW LIFTING PROP, such a yamaha saltwater series or Mirage Plus. Use a 4 blade Mercury Rev 4 stern lifting prop.

Out of time, got to go.

jim

Jim... As you might remember...I have a 225 4strk on my DVCC.... And I def. want to change the prop...

What prop do I have now??? I know its a 3 blader.. It says "17-M" on it..... Is that the yamaha prop?????

I plan on opening a thread in a few months when I have the $ to buy a prop... And just curious on what I have now...

Cheers! William.

William:

You have a 15 1/4 x17 yamaha saltwater series. The right pitch for your boat. But, it is a bow lifting prop due to the cupping of the blades. You need to 14 5/8 x 17 Mercury Rev 4. Raise your engine at least to the hole one down from the top. I'd be curious to know how two holes down worked. If you are feeling brave, give it try and let me know. Your boat has less weight forward so your CG is further aft than my PH. So it is possible that two holes down may work better than one down.

It takes awhile to tweak a new boat. Be patient, and good luck.

jim

It is impossible to make a blanket statement as to which prop and pitch is correct for any given boat as each vary depending on weight, weight distribution, fuel load and location, alititude of operation, and ambient air tempature. Therefore, the only true way to find the right prop is to find a dealer who will work with you and let you try various props until you find the correct one. My dealer was glad to loan me props with the understanding that, "if you ding it, you bought it", which I fully understand.

My experience is, most boats are rigged OVER underpropped. Many people like to prop the engine so it will reach redline under light load and fuel. I believe you should prop so the engine will raech redline at full load including fishing tackle, beer, ice, downriggers, anchor, various tools, sany spares you carry, people, or anything else you may load on during a normal day. Some will decry this theory as you could, in theory over rev operating under lihave the ability load and this is true. However, I counter that I have a throttle and can throttle back to prevent this happening.

As far a setting up the engine is concerned I believe most dealers also set them too low in the transom or bracket. A good rule of thmb is to set the engine up so the anti ventilation plate, incorrectly called a cavitation plate runs at or just above the wather line at speed.

Back