Baitwell Light Placement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTR

Reaction score
It's that time of year when the days are not long enough so I am adding some lighting for the deck area of my boat. I was curious about the placement of the baitwell light. I have seen it placed at the top out of direct visibility and at the bottom. It would seem best placed at the top out of direct visibility.

Are there any pros or cons to either placement?

Ummm I think everyones a little confused. Are you talking about under the gunnel? Or the baitwells I have seen put the light at the bottom so you can see the fish easier. Where exactly are you asking?

it needs to be under the water level or youre just going to get alot of glare and not be able to see the fish. my Kodiak has a small indentation in the bottom that allows you to install a light. also, keep in mind that you dont want protrusions from the bottom of the tank, where fish can beat themselves to death on them. i would look into flushmounting a light in the tank wall near the bottom if i were you.

i did mine the cheap way. using an existing screw on the drain, i attached a a round nylon clamp. a chem light or light stick fits perfectly/snugly in the holder and does a great job lighting everything up. very happy with the outcome.

Cool trick, I hadn't thought of that.

Do you get any glare or have trouble seeing the fish?

puts out just the right amount of light. lasts all night too.

if it doesn't meet your expectations.....toss it and you're out a couple bucks and everything is back the way it was. pretty sure you'll like it. the light sticks come in different colors which throw varying amounts of light. the yellows are probably the brightest. orange or blue works well for me.

in case you were wondering that is an extra drain i installed under the factory one. just drill a hole for a standard livewell drain and put a "Y" in the existing hose on the other side and your done. i did that because i really don't need that much water. 2/3 full is all i need most trips. if you do want to run it full then just remove the screen and plug it with the same type plug you use in the bottom drain.

Thanks for the tips.

I have been using the stand pipe to keep a lower level of water.

Gotta keep a close eye on that thing, pops out from time to time.

Cleaning the boat the morning after a long trip........

Bait fish stuck in the drain........

Takes a week to get the smell out.

JTR":1uamg1n2 said:
Thanks for the tips.

Bait fish stuck in the drain........

hate it when that happens!

after the elbow pretty much a straight shot out the back though. should be able to push them out with a flexible piece of plastic tubing.

It's happened a couple of times.

I use a short piece of cheap 1/2" hose (male end removed).

Turn it wide open and shove it down the tube.

Back