Bow Floor Storage 21SE - Anyone done it?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunagi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has cut their floor on the bow to add a storage locker in that space.

I’ve seen it on either an older 23 or 25 someone had for sale. I’d love to add one but have no clue if there is a void there.

Has anyone been this ambitious and done it?

Any and all input appreciated.

1699564449480.png

I have been toying with a similar project on my 18'. Looking at the the stringer drawings you should have what looks like a nice "void" you could utilize.
Attached is a drawing for a 1993 so it looks promising. Just use a strong lid as this area will likely see lots of traffic.

Attachments

• Parker 2100 Stringers.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 4
TomC,

Thanks for the reply and stringer layout. While I hate to be nitpicky, but in this case I will be since we're talking about cutting a huge hole in my boat, I see the attachment is for a 21DV.

Does it stand to reason that there wouldn't be a huge difference in an SE stringer layout?

TomC...and anyone else, of course.

Did you happen to find the stringer layout for a 21SE?

Also would be really interested in any other input on this idea. Most importantly, what possible negative aspects there may be.

Cutting a huge hole in the floor isn't something I take lightly!

Thanks!

I’m close, but getting cold feet again on taking a saw to the floor of the boat.

Is there any reason you wouldn’t do this?!?!

Actually found someone on another Parker group who did it in a 2023 SE, so makes me think I’m not completely crazy.

Pics I’ve found are below. The blue tape is on my boat.

Figured I’d line the inside of the void with restaurant-style rubber mat to prevent damage from items bouncing around

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS OR INPUT APPRECIATED!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2209.png
    IMG_2209.png
    914.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2211.png
    IMG_2211.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2245.jpeg
    IMG_2245.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Is there a pie plate you can poke around in?
With a cheap borescope you can take a look before you cut.
There is not.
There is a stringer/bulkhead in front of the fuel tank.
I was thinking of starting with a 3” hole saw so I could take a look into the void. That way, worse case I could put another pie plate in instead of the hatch in the event there’s something in there that thwarts the project.

Last edited:
I spend time trying to minimize water from under my floor (including the bilge when sitting on the trailer), like an overboard anchor locker drain and life-sealing my pie plates down. But I have done it since new, to keep the tank dry.

If your boat is older and may need a tank soon is the only time I would consider this. Even if some rot kicked off, it could be repaired or remodeled at tank time. Nothing to lose really. I just wouldn't want to add water under the floor and expose the tank to it. Hatches leak.

I can dig the storage need though too, but I would lean toward a kickass coffin box or monster Yeti/Frigid Rigid with a cushion first. It could be dry storage if you wanted it to be. You could buy a cooler to fit inside, or use the whole thing for a fish box for whoppers when you need it. Just my opinion, man.
Edit:
Wow, just looked at the FR coffin boxes $$$$$$$$$$.

I spend time trying to minimize water from under my floor (including the bilge when sitting on the trailer), like an overboard anchor locker drain and life-sealing my pie plates down. But I have done it since new, to keep the tank dry.

If your boat is older and may need a tank soon is the only time I would consider this. Even if some rot kicked off, it could be repaired or remodeled at tank time. Nothing to lose really. I just wouldn't want to add water under the floor and expose the tank to it. Hatches leak.

I can dig the storage need though too, but I would lean toward a kickass coffin box or monster Yeti/Frigid Rigid with a cushion first. It could be dry storage if you wanted it to be. You could buy a cooler to fit inside, or use the whole thing for a fish box for whoppers when you need it. Just my opinion, man.
Edit:

Edit:
Those Frigid Rigid boxes are more than nice but hard to justify the cost unless you are running like a 36 Contender or something....lol

Bodick,
Your comments are inline with what I've been thinking all along. What is the risk in exposing a portion below deck to more moisture?

With that being said. Doesn't the anchor locker in the bow of the boat already drain through this void, then under the fuel tank coffin, before it gets to the bilge?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fuel tank is in its own compartment, and not exposed to the water that runs from the anchor locker to the bilge? (there's a tube/pipe, correct?) It seems to be a common complaint that the way the fuel tank is in its own contained space is a bit of a "design flaw". In that, if water gets in there there's no way for it to drain, which is a common cause of tank failure.

I want to use this area to store my tuna anchor set up, so there will certainly be more moisture, in the form of sea water soaked anchor line, in this space.

In my '19 2320, the locker was supposed to go to the center pvc drain, BUT the foam had expanded out of the stringers and plugged the drain. I discovered it totally by luck. My hull would have a hundred gallons of water in the very front right now, trapped under the floor. I wanted to seal my anchor locker bottom, drill a hole in the hull and send it overboard vs to the bilge. I decided to make sure it wasn't plumbed to some other hole first, so I put the water hose in the anchor locker to make sure it came out the garboard drain. I came back 10 minutes later to NO, NONE, NADA, ZIP water coming out anywhere. Every drop was caught in the hull. So I don't trust Parker's drains. I'm Seapro48 over there.
At the time, I had thought of a Parker thread from years ago (maybe on THT) where the water line had changed over time and was above the bottom paint.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1029104-parker-2320-water-trapped-hull-fixed.html

Last edited:
In my '19 2320, the locker was supposed to go to the center pvc drain, BUT the foam had expanded out of the stringers and plugged the drain. I discovered it totally by luck. My hull would have a hundred gallons of water in the very front right now, trapped under the floor. I wanted to seal my anchor locker bottom, drill a hole in the hull and send it overboard vs to the bilge. I decided to make sure it wasn't plumbed to some other hole first, so I put the water hose in the anchor locker to make sure it came out the garboard drain. I came back 10 minutes later to NO, NONE, NADA, ZIP water coming out anywhere. Every drop was caught in the hull. So I don't trust Parker's drains. I'm Seapro48 over there.
At the time, I had thought of a Parker thread from years ago (maybe on THT) where the water line had changed over time and was above the bottom paint.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1029104-parker-2320-water-trapped-hull-fixed.html
Thank you Sir!

Very insightful. Perhaps the fish box I keep on deck with the anchor set up is the best solution at this point.

The age of my fuel tank nags at me, and I certainly don't want to do anything that escalates the time to replace it.

I had the same thoughts but never pulled the trigger. I bought 160 qt Yeti and use that for my dry storage

Attachments

• 21SE 2001 STRINGERS.pdf
    75.4 KB · Views: 1
I've been using a 150qt cooler for storage. I call it the "poor mans coffin box".
I'm leaning toward staying that route after all. I'm just so paranoid about doing anything to compromise the fuel tank.

Back