Carpet Stains

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
When we got a blast of hot weather recently I noticed yellowish stains on the carpet on the ceiling of the pilothouse (2120 SC).I purchased some automotive carpet cleaner,it did a pretty good job removing most of the stains.I wrote an email to Robin about it and she told me to try Resolve.It cleaned it up even more,but wasn't perfect.Today I noticed a couple more stains starting to form.When they installed the carpet at the factory I don't think they squeezed out the excess glue and it has bled through forming the stain.
What should I do now? Call the dealer? write another email to Parker?
Has anyone else experienced these stains? :(

I can't help you. I ordered my Parker without headliner, and very glad I did so.

If it turns out to be mold, maybe a mix of water and bleach would work. If it turns out to be glue, I think you are screwed.

John - the yellow stains seem to be a common problem. I too had to deal with it for about two years. What you see is excess glue bleeding through. The stains seem to be the worst in corners. I used Starbrite carpet cleaner on the stains with great success.

Brad

I had wanted to order mine without the headliner and no splash guard,I was told NG.I guess I hit the nail on the head with the glue bleeding through.Not for nothing,but why should I deal with using resolve or anything else to clean this?If this was a car,it would be going back to the dealer to be redone. :x :roll:

Resolve will remove the stains from the headliner material

BoatGirl":15ypkdai said:
Resolve will remove the stains from the headliner material

Look at my first post.Resolve cleaned it up a little better,but they have re-appeared and a couple new ones have formed.
I can see the dealer installing new carpet at the end of the season. :wink:
I've very happy with the boat,but this issue needs to be resolved (no pun intended)No reason this should happen,they should be using different glue,or a different installer at the plant.

I made a call to the dealer yesterday to make him aware of the problem.Let's see what Parker tells him.

This past winter my boat was stored at the dealer under shrinkwrap, and I'm guessing it had insufficient venting as I had mold in the spring when it was uncovered. :(

I used Resolve and a medium bristle brush and she cleaned up really well. :)

Of course, that same day I was waxing the helm and inside fiberglass, when my bottle of wax fell from the helm to the floor. :shock:
It is absolutely amazing how much wax can splatter over the inside of the v-berth while falling only 3 feet, much of it landing on the carpet headliner. :cry:

The more I clean, the more I find...
Note to self: no more wax bottles on the helm. :oops:

Great thread! I have some mildew on the headliner in my Grady and have been looking for a solution since I got the boat. No one has ever mentioned Resolve before. I'll give that a shot!

Thanks ClassicParker! :D

Dear (un) Lucky John:

I have got the same glue stains here and there on the ceiling carpet as well on my 2006 2320. I am a perfectionist at heart, and at first tried to clean the stains (unsuccessfully).

But hey, it is a fishing boat, so with that much glue up there, that ceiling carpet won't be coming down anytime soon. Better too much than too little. I am not sure I would want a factory person removing and replacing the stained carpet. I'll keep what I got. I might try the Starbrite carper cleaner next though.

jim

I have stains too, plus it's falling down. Does anyone know what works best to make it stay put? No headliner would have been the ticket!

Anthony

Porkchunker":3uw6imx6 said:
I'm glad I could still order my boat without headliner. Have been told it is standard equipment now, and can't be deleted. :( :( :( Hope that is not true.

It's true,they say it can't be deleted because it would upset the factory set-up/production.
I understand it's only a fishing boat,but for that kind of wood,it shouldn't happen is all I'm saying.

susqking":2dasl15q said:
I have stains too, plus it's falling down. Does anyone know what works best to make it stay put? No headliner would have been the ticket!

Anthony, I have some spray-on contact adhesive made by 3M that the previous owner gave me when I bought the boat. Whatever he glued up is still holding fast...

Ok here's an update.
I've been scrubbing the headliner,and have tried other carpet stain removers etc. all year.It looks ok at first,but it just keeps bleeding thru and have developed other stains as well.
After not hearing from my dealer after asking him for help,he said try giving Parker another email.
I did that earlier last week,and got a call from Parker yesterday.It looks like they are going to replace it,however I spoke to the dealer this morning,he said they tried to do one,and it was a disaster,next time it has to go back to the factory.
I'll let you guys know what happens next.
I tried to just ignore it,but I try and keep the boat looking brand new the best I can,walking in and constantly looking at those stains just bugged me on a 40k+ boat.

Lucky John,

I would say that if your dealer has tried this before with disastrous results that because they have never done this type of job,I would try an automotive trim shop which do headliner instalations every single day of the week and are used to doing this type of work,you may get Robin/Parker to send you enough material to re-do the whole inside roof and get a trim shop to do the work,yes it could cost you money out of pocket,but I can see that you are like me and do not like for your boat to look cruddy so you need someone to fix it that knows what they are doing.

Robert Cibran

This boat is an 07,whatever they decide,it's going to be on them,not me :wink:
If they decide to have it done here by an automotive guy then that will be their call.
Once I pull the boat for the winter they can always send my boat back after the dealer gets a delivery from Parker,repair it and then send it back on next shipment,but that will be their call.All they have to do is have it back here by the end of march.

Lucky John,

I was trying to give you ideas as to whom would know better how to re-install back the headliner,for sure Parker should take care of that and agree with you on that,be careful when sending "your" boat back to factory as "you own" this boat,its insured by you,what happens if it falls of the truck ?? who pays ?? Does Parker ?? if any damages happen while in transit??,these are things you have to know before sending a 40K + boat x amount of miles.

Just trying to help.

Robert Cibran

I hear what you're saying about sending it back............s**t happens,both @ the factory and possbily on the road,but that's the chance I might have to take.The only bad thing about letting an automotive guy do it is if there is a problem down the raod with it,what then?
I know you were just tossing out suggestions,always appreciate help. :D

I can't believe the factory won't delete the headliner!!!! When I sleep on my boat, it is a bit noisy because of the lack of headliner...but...I don't have to deal with mildew, yellowing, and headliner material coming loose.

If my next boat was a SC or Walk-Around, I would gladly pay to have the headliner deleted!!!!

At the end of the season, I pull everything out of the boat, spray it down with a garden hose, and put her away. In the spring, I open her up, spray all surfaces with a diluted solution of clorox, wipe it down, load all the gear, and go fishing for the season. Plain gelcoat surfaces are easy to maintain. I'd be pissed if I had to deal with yellowing and drooping headliner.

I consider it a fishing boat!!!! It is rare when the wine and cheese come aboard!!!!

Robin...are you listening? !!!!

My 2002 2120SC headliner and other carpeting got the yellow stains and the overhead carpet began to sag after about 4 years. Parker told me to take it back to the dealer, but looking at the problem, I could not imagine them removing all of the hardware, dealing with the wires that ran through the carpet, removing the old glue (you have to do that to do it right) and effectively re-glueing the carpet. Not happening, so we put some aluminum strips on the cabin overhead. Worked great, but the carpet on the roof of the berth area was sagging, too. Long story short, we bought a new boat - 2320 sport cabin, and after 5 months, stains are starting to appear and I expect the glue to come undone over time. Other than that, it's pretty much the perfect boat for me. Excellent boat.

Back