Core Material

Classic Parker

Help Support Classic Parker:

qsweet

Reaction score
So i have a 96' 2320. Soft spot in the deck that we have cut open. Balsa core and alot more was wet than expected. Regardless it is not a big deal. I am going to be putting in foam core. As of right now i do not know where to get it. I need about a 4x4 sheet or about that equivalent. I tried jamestown distributors. 200$ for the sheet and 180$ for shipping! Wtf is that! I called, as I live 30 min away from the warehouse, and they said I am not aloud to come pick it up. After an exchange of words with the person on the phone I am now looking for other places. (Also says free shipping on order over 100$ on their website). Defender has it but only in 2x4 sheets which would work but id like to buy a bigger sheet if possible ( I also have a couple soft spots in the roof that I am doing). So I am here to ask you guys.... Where is the best place to get core material for a reasonable cost? I am truly disappointed in JD... not the company they use to be. Thanks!

warthog5

Reaction score
A 4 X 4 piece.....which is a 1/2 sheet will ship Truck freight...I'm sure they said can't come get it due to Covid.....I have a place 30min from me, I go get it.....No 1/2 sheets sold. Foam core? Which one?

warthog5

Reaction score
No.....It is not.

You need to understand how structure of things work.....Composites are designed like a I beam. The core is the web......The fiberglass is the flanges. Using the same lamination on the flanges.......The thicker the core /I beam web The stiffer the panel.

When wood is used.....The strength is in the wood....The glass is for moisture & impact resistance. This is why....a 6oz cloth can be put on the underside....It's to protect from moisture and 2 layers of 1 1/2oz mat are put on the topside. It is to protect from moisture.....But also from Impact of droping things......None of that glass is really for strength.... But when it comes to composites it's all about the strength of the panel..... In the end......It's strength vs. weight.

Latest posts