Do You Keep the Outboard Running

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMUGMU

Reaction score
I searched for a possible prior discussion on this one. I didn't find one though it's surely been discussed.

When you go out fishing/boating, off-shore/in-shore, do you keep your outboard running the whole time you are fishing?

I keep my batteries in shape with a tender. It always starts, knock knock. I have two crank batteries and the old battery switch. Thus, the so-called battery one is not isolated. I know I need to upgrade my battery switch so one battery is always kept full for starting the motor. This is in my plans. I apologize up-front for not asking a clear question. I have been keeping the motor running from the boat ramp back to the boat ramp. This adds a lot of hours idling. I guess I'm afraid of shutting it off and it not restating.

Whenever I fish outside of the inlet, my motor stays on from beginning of the trip, to the end: it doesn't get turned off. When I fish inside the inlet, I will turn the motor off/ on as needed.

I'm a motor off guy myself as much as possible...exception being when I'm tight to the rocks and any wind or waves are pushing me in, then I'll leave it on for safety. Otherwise I think the fish prefer it off!

On my last trip, both engines were running the entire trip....... left the harbor at 5am and returned at 9pm. But I was also a long way from the harbor and was power-drifting the entire trip.

But on a "normal" fishing trip, I'll turn off the engines while at anchor regardless of how far offshore. That said, I normally don't run the radar while fishing ....... just the sonar and MFD ...... which doesn't draw but 7-10amp.

Engine ON......Except if someone is not paying attention and got a line in the prop.

Offshore....On, no doubt about it for me. Especially when I can't see land or another boat in sight. I have a 2017 Suzuki 300 and at idle it sips fuel and consumption is not an issue with hardly any noise. Last thing I want to add would be starting issues 50 miles off shore. I do have dual batteries and bring a charged spare batteries and a jump starter but prefer to leave it running. Maybe thats why we don't catch much!

Last edited:
OP- great question and something I wonder about a lot... especially after trying to restart mine for thirty minutes before realizing that my four year old had been messing with the throttle while we had been drifting and had put it slightly in gear...ive been in the “on” camp ever since.

Guess I’m in the minority. Unless I’m transiting or in a situation where I may need maneuverability quickly, I’ll shut my engines off when they’re not needed. We drift bottom fish a lot off DE, and it’s always with the motors off. Never had a problem, despite what I would describe as a “suspect” electrical system.

Unless anchored right near shore, "on". When jigging for mackerel we actually tilt it up so it is making exhaust noises on the surface. The fish seem to come by so investigate.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm going to switch from the traditional 3-pole battery switch to the Blue Sea 4-pole. It's my understanding that this will truly isolate the cranking battery so its charge is maintained while running live well pump, simrad, radio, etc. when motor is off. Thanks again

Just bought my boat last summer, at first I always left the motor running. Now I try to turn it off when we are drift fishing on open ocean no matter how far off we are. (near rocks or islands it stays on).

If I leave it running my hours stack up quick! I haven't calculated it, but back of the envelope, I can lower my hours by about 1/3 to 1/2 per trip if I turn the motor off while drifting.

I have two batteries and one F250

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm going to switch from the traditional 3-pole battery switch to the Blue Sea 4-pole. It's my understanding that this will truly isolate the cranking battery so its charge is maintained while running live well pump, simrad, radio, etc. when motor is off. Thanks again
Which Blue Sea product are you planning on using? To my knowledge there is no single switch unit that allows you to isolate your house and cranking batteries, other than a BEP cluster (which is really two battery switches with a parallel switch). If your goal is to do so and ensure the cranking battery remains charged first, this is the switch I and many others here would recommend: Square Battery Distribution Cluster for Single Engine with Two Battery Banks | BEP

I searched for a possible prior discussion on this one. I didn't find one though it's surely been discussed.

When you go out fishing/boating, off-shore/in-shore, do you keep your outboard running the whole time you are fishing?

I keep my batteries in shape with a tender. It always starts, knock knock. I have two crank batteries and the old battery switch. Thus, the so-called battery one is not isolated. I know I need to upgrade my battery switch so one battery is always kept full for starting the motor. This is in my plans. I apologize up-front for not asking a clear question. I have been keeping the motor running from the boat ramp back to the boat ramp. This adds a lot of hours idling. I guess I'm afraid of shutting it off and it not restating.
Engine off unless near rocks or fishing narrow channel. Idling for long periods of time is not the best for any engine.

Similar to others here, when I'm fishing I'll turn my engine off if I can, but that's usually only when I'm drifting and jigging for mackerel. Most of the time I'm bump trolling, chasing striper schools, or fishing around rocks in current so I need the engine on.

When I'm not fishing or I'm out with friends, I try to keep the engine off as much as possible. I have the boat's original 2000 Yami OX66 250 and it's loud and reeks of 2-stroke. It can get obnoxious when you're talking with friends but it never bothers me when I'm alone.

I always have a NOCO battery charger/jumper with me, though, so I'm never worried about the boat's starter battery getting drained. They're great for peace of mind both on the boat and in my truck.

Back