Electric trolling motors

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a trolling motor on my 1801 - a Minn Kota Rip Tide SW 80 lb thrust model with iPilot (GPS enabled). This unit is remote controlled. I can "anchor" the boat even in a fair current, automatically repeat routes, and fish very quietly at sea or inshore. It allows me to focus on fishing with just an occasional glance at nav concerns. A trolling motor adds a great deal of fishing utility to a skiff.

Trolling_motor.JPG

Mike S, how difficult was the installation? My buddy has one on his 22' Mako flats boat and it works great, especially the "anchor" mode. We take turns using each others' boats instead of gas money transactions. I have an 1801 Parker and have been thinking hard about a trolling motor to use for inshore fishing. Where did you locate the battery and which shaft length did you use?

Jonas

I use a Motorguide 24 volt Great White on my 21SE. It has 82 pounds of thrust and the shaft length is 60 inches. Works great fo me fishing for calico bass along the coast of southern California.

I mounted the two batteries under the console seat and ran the wires through a conduit to the bow of the boat. I had the conduit installed when I ordered the boat back in 2002.

a Minn Kota Rip Tide SW 80 lb thrust model with iPilot (GPS enabled).

One of the finest units made. I installed the same unit on a 2011 Sea Hunt, except it was 36V.

There is one thing I don't like about it. It has no prop rod like past TM's. Therefore it will flex at the shaft when in heavy seas.

Minkota has different levels of TM's. It's what's inside. The high end ones have a better motor brush holder.

Something that I have done that helps with all TM's is install a ON/OFF switch to kill power just before it goes thru a 50amp breaker. This helps with stopping corrosion issues.

100_2778.jpg

Jonas

The installation was not difficult. We made a mounting pad from 3/4" Starboard that filled the difference between the deck height and coaming height, this was cemented in place with 5400. Stainless bolts to mount the Minn Kota slide out mounting hardware. The mount and motor clear the forward rails fine in this position.

The motor has a 60" shaft and it's perfect for the 1801 (as I have it mounted).

The dual Deka AGM (G27) batteries are mounted in the rear of the console and wiring was run to a switchable 50Amp breaker, then through the factory chase to the right rear of the boat. From there it goes under the gunwales to the front chain locker, and up through the deck to the motor.

The starting battery for the engine was also moved to the console and a Stealth charger added to top up all the batteries from engine power or shore power. The Stealth charges the TM batteries when running from place to place. This is, in my opinion, a nearly perfect set up for fishing.

P4170098.JPG

jonas grumby":ff32hv2l said:
Mike S, how difficult was the installation? My buddy has one on his 22' Mako flats boat and it works great, especially the "anchor" mode. We take turns using each others' boats instead of gas money transactions. I have an 1801 Parker and have been thinking hard about a trolling motor to use for inshore fishing. Where did you locate the battery and which shaft length did you use?

Jonas

what is the cost of adding a TM

Can I install one on a Parker 21 DV?

fess":4ppib6z7 said:
what is the cost of adding a TM

Can I install one on a Parker 21 DV?

For the motor, batteries, cable, and fittings (this on a Minn Kota SW 80 with iPilot) figure about $1800 to $1900 - labor not included.

Back