Just got back from OBX - why is Suzuki so popular

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a complete repower of a 98' 1800. Everyone down in NC seams to be running Suzuki, maybe a few Yamahas thrown in.

In looking at specs on engines, one thing jumped out to me. Can anyone explain?

20" Suzukis
DF115B = 415#
DF140B = 410#
DF150A = 518#

Decisions, decisions...

I'm doing a complete repower of a 98' 1800. Everyone down in NC seams to be running Suzuki, maybe a few Yamahas thrown in.

In looking at specs on engines, one thing jumped out to me. Can anyone explain?

20" Suzukis
DF115B = 415#
DF140B = 410#
DF150A = 518#

Decisions, decisions...
One of I'm sure many reasons for seeing more Suzuki's in eastern NC lately, is partly explained by what happened at Radcliff Marine in Belhaven NC. (By the way, they are a VERY good, and reputable company!). They install well over 100 new motors each year. They became Suzuki dealers a few years ago simply because they could not get enough Yamahas. Now that a lot of people have learned how good the Suzuki's are, word gets around and many request the Suzuki's over the Yamaha.... We are happy (not thrilled) with our Yamaha 300, but when it comes time to repower, I'd likely consider Suzuki for a couple reasons; one being their timing chain over the Yamaha's belt..... On another note, about engine supply, look what's happened to the outboard motor industry over the years. In the 1960's-1990's most outboard powered boats had one or two engines. Now it's become common to see boats with 3, 4 or even 5 outboards hanging off the stern. That alone makes it more difficult to fill the need in a timely manner....

Last edited:
Oh How one forgets. The fiasco with Yamaha in '03-'04 with their HPDI's that had Major problems... People had a $125K boat that wouldn't make it across the bay. Yamaha assembled a team that would go around and fix these engines. The SKA [Southern Kingfish Assoc.] sponsered boats were fixed first. BUT Yamaha acted like there was no problem and your new boat sat while you made payments to get repaired. Suzuki had smaller 2 stroke engines then and had started to have Bigger ones. Time escapes me, but buddy of mine had a 225 2 stroke Suzzy. It ran well, but that Bitch was Thristy! Then Suzzy jumped ship and all 4 strokes... first in smaller and mid range.... Then the Big ones started to show. People were dumping their HPDI's and hanging Suzzy's. Then Johnson's jumped on for a while ... It was a Suzzy 4 stroke in descigise... It was White. My understanding thru the grape vine was that It had a different wiring harness, or something like that?.... I cannot confirm. Dealer network was VERY limited. Thats the part that scared people. But the relilability was there..... OH and it was way cheaper to hang a Suzzy. I got my 1st 2 from Sim's Yamaha. DF140's RH & LH rotation. Sims is a Yamaha dealer. These were the last TwinVee boat [factory equiped with Suzzy's] they had on the lot. Customer want 150 Yamaha's... So Andy took them off and up for sale... They had 10 or 12hrs on them. Those sat in my shop for 2yrs while I completed building X- Shark. Next was a SeaArk 1860 I bought with a DF70. That engine was abbued prior to me [Never flushed it] It devoloped a rotted hole inside the engine. I replaced it with a DF90A.... Then it was time to repower the Parker. It had a Yamaha 250 2 stroke on it....It was replaced with a DF300APX. This was one of the first 300's with Fly by wire to hit Pensacola. A grin from ear to ear was had by all with that replacement.
So what really different between the Yamaha & Suzuki?
Yamaha runs a Timing belt. Some are interferance engines, some are not. If the belt breaks or shreads a tooth or 2 and a interferance engine the valves will colide with the pistons. Recommended change is 1000hrs.
Suzzy runs a timing chain in the oil bath. It's just better.

Then their is Gear ratio. Suzzy.... Hp to Hp with other manufactures is geared lower than Any other manufacture. This is done thru a offset driveshaft. The powerhead is shoved forward and there is a offset that meshes with gears then goes onto the gearing in the foot. With this lower gear ratio the engines are able to swing Bigger props. [Think Bigger tires on your car for more traction]
Noise level.... All 4 strokes are Pretty damn quiet... So quiet in fact that manufactures had to do a system that if engine was running and you turn the key to Start... The starter would not engage... It wasn't that way for a while and Starter drives got torn up... Especially with the boys at the Drystacks. I made it a point...Always look at the Tach before hitting the key! Especially with a Pilothouse...You can't hear the engine. Now with All that said.. Suzzy's ARE quieter than Yamaha's.

So I've owned 5 Suzzy's.... This new to me SeaArk 2072 is Max rated for 140HP. A perfect place to hang a DF140BG to replace the '08 Yamaha 90TLR one day...A 50Hp jump should make it come Alive and extend my range due to fuel consumption...Not that it's Super bad for a 2 stroke.

The dealer network has REALLY exploded for Suzuki now... There was 1 back in the day when my buddy had that 225 2 stroke. Now there are 4 or 5 within 30mi.

Excellent info guys. Accessibility to reliable dealers/service is huge for me. I live in Boston and have been spoiled by having Monahan’s so close to me. The closest Suzuki dealer is twice as far away, plus I’ve never worked with them.

Eventually, the Parker will be relocated to Ocracoke and so I need to factor that in too. Runs to Harker’s for service would be fun so long as everything is kind of running.

I’m still at a loss on the weight of the DF140. Would love to hear about durability on those. I’m old school in that heavier is generally better in most things.

I’m still at a loss on the weight of the DF140. Would love to hear about durability on those. I’m old school in that heavier is generally better in most things.

That would be my next one for current boat. DF-140BG SeaArk 2072

The 175 weighs just a few more pounds than the 150

Yes.....and the DF150 is a Full 100lbs heavier than the DF140.

I don't remember the numbers,as it's been some time ago now....

Suzuki has kept evolving to get engines lighter. At one time a DF-90 weighed damn near what a DF140 weighed. Then they came out with the DF-90A....I had one on my SeaArk1860.

Attachments

• 100_4264.jpg
    100_4264.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Seaark1.jpg
    Seaark1.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 0
That’s exactly what I am going to be repower in my 1801 with once I get all my other little projects done on it. The 140 on my last 18 was a huge improvement over the stock 100hp yamaha it had on it.

In fairfield county area nesr nyc a lot of evinrude shops are moving over to Suzuki.

Suzuki also 20% chesper than the Yamahas here

Suzukis seem to run great I’ve had 4 of them with around 1200hrs on them because the only boats I can afford have high hours lol. One thing I will say is I’ve had a few Yamahas of the same year and the Yamahas looked almost new under the hood and the Suzukis have a lot of corrosion. I like Suzukis and maybe just mine have not been taken care of (4 out of 5 df140) but it looks like they use cheaper components.

That’s being said I would buy a pair of new suzuki 140s for the 6k saving and make sure I take care of them

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back