Let's Talk Gas Tanks on 2001 21SE - Replace Proactively?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunagi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for any and all opinions on this....

Was planning on installing radar since this has been "the summer of fog" up here. Had a real close call a few weeks ago when the fog rolled in on us and nearly got creamed by a giant Grady White....who clearly didn't know how to use his radar.

I've had this boat for 3 years. Put a new Suzuki on it. It does not have a top. Moisture test on the transom says it's perfect, so no concerns there.

But the age of the fuel tank nags at me. It seems the general thought from other posts I've read is, it's not "if, but when" you'll have to replace the tank on a boat this age.

While evaluating options between installing a radar arch or going full top my welder asked "how old is the boat" When I told him 2001 he said "I wouldn't even considering doing all of this work before replacing the tank."

The boat did not have a livewell when I purchased it, so I feel that's a plus since there was no chance of a leaky connection over the years. But I discovered the pie plates on for the gas tank access were dripping (so replaced), but have no idea how long that was happening.

Andddd Go!!

I am in the process of replacing the fuel tank on my 2007 1801. We tried to avoid it, but after cutting it out I have no doubt it was the right call. Its a painful proce$$ but I would completely agree with your welder. 15 years is the expected lifespan of an aluminum tank. Just feel lucky you got a Parker; at least the boat is worth it.

Read my inputs on installing a new tank after you decide.... There are steps and measures that will make it never need to be replaced again and document those steps for a Higher Resale value.

Tunagi, if you decide to replace the tank, please let us know what condition the old tank was in and feed us some pics. Those of us still using original tanks are always curious to see what may be lurking below the deck. 🤔

Read my inputs on installing a new tank after you decide.... There are steps and measures that will make it never need to be replaced again and document those steps for a Higher Resale value.
Hey Warthog,
I've read a number of your posts on this since I've been on Classic Parker. They were a big help in me understanding the whole "not if, but when" thoughts I had.
I only wish I had a workspace to tackle this project over the winter. I'm sure I could save a ton of $$ by doing a bunch of the grunt work myself.
At this point, I'm going to just keep running the boat and put the whole radar project on hold. Once my hand is forced to do something about the fuel tank, I'm sure I'll go guns-blazing on the rest of the stuff.
As always, I appreciate the input from this great resource that is ClassicParker!

Back