Locking Fuel Fill

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foggylink

Reaction score
Anyone using a locking fuel fill ? With fuel and thieves on the rise, I'm considering one since I'll be on a mooring this year.

Think Spring :)

That is a good idea let me know if you come up with something!!! I might like to do it as well!!!

My friend just replaced his locking fuel fill back to stock. The lock mechanism was corriding faster than he could keep up.

Well ok then i guess i am keeping to oringal and have to take the chance.I am sure my marina will be fine!!!I dont want those rust stains either

It wasnt rusting, it was just almost impossible to get the key inside and turn it to unlock.

Oh ok yea i still dont need that headache of that or key breaking in there,forget that noise!!!Thanks for that heads up Dom!!!

another way you can do it is have a machine shop weld a stainless bar to a hinge, and then bolt the hinge/bar assembly to the gunwale next to the fuel cap. then, drill a hole through the bar and the covering board so that a pin drops down through and a padlock attaches to the pin underneath the gunwale. you can also substitute another pin and lock for the hinge assembly.

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 1,237
Had the same problem with a locking gas cap, hard to get the key in and hard to turn. Gave the keyhole and the locking lugs a shot of Woody Wax and it has been smooth as silk.
Another good reason for the locking cap is on my boat the fuel fill and the fresh water tank fill are right next to each other and look the same. Very easy to make a mistake.

Hey man that would suck it that happened,good thing you know whats what,that could turn your good day to a shitty day if that happens,good advice for people on that note!!!

Went out Friday night and moments after launching I realized some piece of crap had stolen the 100 gallons of gas I recently purchased. I’ll be adding a locking cap before I fill up again. You’d think they would make them to hold up in the marine environment, but if not I think routine oiling should keep it in working condition. I was also thinking I could just use it while the boats on the trailer, then switch it out before I head to the ramp - the last thing I need is a corroded cap that I can’t get off.

Before I sold my Parker, I tried to siphon the gas out at one time. I had no luck in putting a hose down the fill and into the tank. I even tried tubing as small as 1/4 inch ID. This was with the boat on a trailer. I may be wrong but with the boat in the water if possible at all, it will need to be pumped out. With the tank below deck and at or partially below the water level how can it be siphoned? Just a thought.
Thieves suck in any case.

Keith

Outlaw":3qt9efm3 said:
With the tank below deck and at or partially below the water level how can it be siphoned? Just a thought.

What if the thief was inside a submarine? :wink:

How about rerouting the fill hose to another hidden inlet and just leaving the one on the gunwale as a dummy/decoy?

I have contacted a machine shop that does work for the company I work for. I ran pelagic2530's idea by him. He had an interesting alternative, although a bit more invasive ... take a SS bar and bend it on each end. The ends would fit through holes drilled in the gunwale. Then a padlock would lock onto each end of the bar below the gunwale. The bar lays over the fuel fill. I'm looking into it and I'll get back to you all.

One question as I have not checked yet, Is the gunwale three quarters of an inch thick ???

The easiest way to get the gas is to pop the inspection plate on the deck above the fuel level sensor. Five easy screws and the fuel level sensor is removed and the gas is right there for the taking any method the thief prefers. No defense whatsoever.

If you suspect you are missing some fuel........pop the inspection plate above the fuel level sensor and make sure everything is still buttoned up.

FYI: You guys probably already heard about the guy who was stealing 1000 gals of gas at a time from gas stations. If not, he had a covered trailer with a skirt around the bottom on the outside and a big hole cut in the bottom on the inside. Also inside was 1000 gal tank, some hose, and a high speed pump. He would position the trailer over the same fill ports that the gas tanker uses. The guy inside the trailer would reach down through the hole in the bottom of the trailer, open the fill port and start pumping. The driver would pop the hood on the truck and pretend to have engine trouble. They even had one theft incident on video that showed an unaware deputy Sheriff offering assistance to the driver (thief). Truly amazing. :shock:

GrouperJim, I never thought about taking the fuel straight from the tank. I just checked and it doesn't look like the fuel level sensor has been touched; there is still a good coat of Fluidfilm on it. I looked at Foggylinks idea but I don't have access below the gunwale. I looked at a locking cap today at West Marine, but I didn't like all the plastic.

How they were able to siphon the gas? I have no idea, all I know is that one day I had a hundred gallons and the next day I didn't. Now that GJ pointed out the more efficient way to steal gas I doubt the locking cap is any deterrent. I am sure people that do this know the best way.

I'm thinking lots of security lighting might help. I wonder if my dog would mind sleeping on the boat.

Latest posts

Back