Motor Too Low?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstuart15

Reaction score
2004 2300dv with F300 on Armstrong bracket... I recently moved the motor up so there is only one hole remaining to raise up further. Tested the boat out and rpm at wot is 5500 and speed is 50mph. Anti vent plate is right at the surface so seems good when running/cruise.

When at trolling speed (7kt), the motor seems very low and water normally boils over the cowling joint/seal. Also when running and then slowing down at a moderate pace, a rooster tail will form and water crashes on the motor and even over the motor sometimes. Of course, if you very gradually slow down this doesn't happen and that is the typical MO. But, the decel has to be veeeery slow to prevent this issue. It just seems to me that the motor is still too low or the boat is too stern heavy and I may need to rebalance some things. I have three starting/house batteries in the transom area and 3 TM batteries in the console. I have thought about moving the TM batteries into one of the forward hatches and then moving the 3 starting/house batteries into the console.

Is this just the way it is on these setups and should I just accept it or is there a way to get the motor out of the water more? Thanks.

Ken at Props Gods states load boat with fuel, gear and crew take a ride and check the anti vent plate position whrn on plane.
adjust motor height until anti vent plate is skimming water surface when boat on plane
Next, prop to max motor rpm ex 6000 rpm

move batteries if feasible

Leave piano at dock. Joke

Mine are in the second highest position with four blade props Ken recommended. 5800 WOT
IMG_0637.jpeg

How old are your batteries? Could it be time for lithiums? Leave one back there and move the other two to the front and check it with the trolling motor installed. Pretty easy to test. 7 is fast enough to cause the boat to squat in the rear isn't it? That is a 200 pound swing.

On a different note, I have a 17 pitch Rev 4, and can hit right at 50mph and 6000 light. I have a Permatrim as well, 2320 with an F300. Quicksilver makes the same prop called a Q4, about a hundred bucks cheaper.

Back