Persistent Hull Joint Leak

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J876

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for advice. I posted by question on another board and got a few replies but I'm at the end of my rope and wanted to see if anyone here had any input. I have a 25' Parker with cabin that is 14 years old, the owner before me never took care of it. Overall it's treated me well with the exception of one major problem - water leaking into the cabin behind the rubrail through the deck-hull joint. Last year I put tons of sealant around the entire rub rail and that helped. This winter I paid a marina to do the big job and fix it properly. They took off the rubrail, pulled out all the original factory sealant and filled the old screw holes, then resealed the entire hull joint around the front half of the boat with 4200, and screwed on a new rubrail. We had heavy rain the past few days and when I went to check on the boat yesterday sure enough there was still water leaking in around the perimeter of the cabin. No puddles but enough to keep the fabric wet. You can see the dripping lines of water coming down inside the cabin walls from where the rubrail is around the outside. Keep in mind I haven't even used the boat yet since the repair except driving it to my dock from the marina. What's left to do? I want to get another 3 years out of the boat. Should I just use as is and stop worrying since the leaks are above the water line? Should I call Parker directly and speak to them? I also worry about the fiberglass rotting from constant internal exposure to water (not sure if this is a justified concern). As I said I'm at the end of my rope and have spent a big chunk of cash trying to fix this already. Boat is in the water so I can't do anything myself - needs to be hauled. I really appreciate any help you guys can provide.

-J

I had that problem with my 2120, I just siliconed the joint under the rub rail with Boat Life and never had another leak. I feel for you, it would bug the crap out of me as well

Brent":3ns20g45 said:
Any chance leaking deck hardware (cleats, railing ) or windows? You can check with a hose

B2

That's what I'm thinking to. It's like a roof leak..... Where you actually see it, is Not where it's actually coming in.

My first through is the bow rail.

It may take some tim and effort with 2 people ....a water hose and a flashlight.

When I worked in body shops....I'd climb in a trunk with a flashlight....Have someone start at the bottom and move the water higher.

If the boat is 14 yrs just re-seat all the hardware anyway. After 14 years and previous owner was not that great with maintenance you.mine as well

warthog5":cmwzakzf said:
Brent":cmwzakzf said:
Any chance leaking deck hardware (cleats, railing ) or windows? You can check with a hose

B2

That's what I'm thinking to. It's like a roof leak..... Where you actually see it, is Not where it's actually coming in.

My first through is the bow rail.

It may take some tim and effort with 2 people ....a water hose and a flashlight.

When I worked in body shops....I'd climb in a trunk with a flashlight....Have someone start at the bottom and move the water higher.

This! The way the top cap of the boat attaches to the hull at the rub rail joint, it us unlikely that rain is coming in that way as it’s a top overlapping bottom hull joint. Mine was getting water in through the hull joint but from going through waves and the spray entered via the bottom up so to speak. I sealed it a couple of years ago and that fixed it. As said, my guess would be bow rails or something else like ports or hatch that is above the hull top deck joint.

I appreciate the quick replies. I thought about other sources. The bow rail was infact leaking 2 years ago where it is bolted to the deck. I had a different marina seal it from the top because they told me replacing the bow rail was too big of a big job for them. Regardless I can see the bow rail bolts from inside the cabin and they're dry. Water doesn't appear to be getting in from them. I can see the beads of water dripping down the fabric in the cabin originating where the screws from the rub rail come through on both sides. I have a windlass as well as the two navigation bow lights. Otherwise there is no other way for water to enter anywhere. The fabric beneath the windows is dry, I don't think that's the culprit. I have pictures but having problems getting them from my phone to the computer.

Curious on how it was sealed? I read your posts but if they did all as stated that is better than the factory. What screws did they use to reattach? And sealed, too? I would call the shop and a stop, too and a talk with service manager and owner. That sounds like crazy money and more frustration.

B2

Back