Pilothouse in hot weather

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samsam

Reaction score
I've been looking at pilothouse Parkers. Living in FL, I was wondering if it is too hot in the summer.

Anybody with a pilothouse in FL or TX or SoCal or.....Death Valley can give me some first hand report?

Is A/C a viable option?

We have quite a few members located in the sunshine state, and I'm sure you will get first-hand accounts shortly.
As for a/c, yes... we have members here who have done that as well.

Try the search feature using the key words "air conditioning" and you should find several threads on the subject.

It can get effing miserable on the Chesapeake in the summer. I find the pilothouse 20 degrees cooler, because of the shade. If there's a breeze it really feels good coming through the windows.

rangerdog":31umvc0y said:
It can get effing miserable on the Chesapeake in the summer. I find the pilothouse 20 degrees cooler, because of the shade. If there's a breeze it really feels good coming through the windows.

agreed.... gets hot out in the canyons too. kinda funny seeing 7 BIG guys try to cram into the pilothouse of my buddy's 25 XLD because its the coolest place on the boat!! :lol:

Here is a shot of my daughter and the neighbor's kid in the PH taken Memorial day while anchored up on the local sand bar. OAT was 92 degrees. The reason it is cooler in the PH is because there is just about as much air flow in there as outside, and while in the PH, you are not being bombarded by the reflected UV off the water like you are while under a T-top.

Attachments

• IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,537
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,537
I worried about this in moving my boat from Rhode Island to South Florida. It's definitely cooler in the pilot house. There are also the additional benefits of less sun exposure/skin cancer risk - very important to consider in South Florida. Keep in mind that your risk of melanoma goes up with every sunburn and skin cancer risk in general increases with a history of prolonged sun exposure - those are just the facts.
If the heat is still an issue, as Megabyte said, the pilot house can be air conditioned - which is only doable in the cabin of a walk around and is impossible with a center console.

You may not be able to air condition a center console, but you can air condition the crew!
ac-demo--.jpg

SuzyBlimp.jpg

More here:
http://www.geocities.com/jeff_nicholas/AirConditioning/Air1.html

now that they are calling for 96 degree temps here in the intense June sun, I am gratefully to have a place to get out of the sun and find some shade on the water.

Before I boat my PH, I had pretty much concluded that I was going to install an RV type air unit on the roof, as I couldn't imagine being enclosed in an oven. As it turns out, I was more comfortable in the PH than being out under a bimini of my old boat.

I chucked the AC idea, cuz, quite frankly, you won't need it.

If you are at anchor and want to move the air around a little, intall a fan or two. Works perfectly. Good Luck.

Attachments

• Helm Fan (Small).jpg
    Helm Fan (Small).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,469
I live in the Florida Keys(Marathon) and have a 2520xl. After owing two center consoles, I too was concerned about the heat. Both of my windows open and provide as much air as I need when moving. As mentioned by others the pilot house provides an escape form the heat and on many days it feels downright cool compared to the heat and sun of the open deck. For my money I would never go back to a center console. :D

I am in so cal and have been on the water when it was 90 at the island. I go inside with the windows open and it is nice. Like being in the shade.

The pilot house is at it's best in the freezing cold (keeps you warm) or the scorching heat (keeps you cool). I too have installed a small 12V oscillating fan hanging down from the roof just to stbd of center and if there's no breeze I just flip the fan on. Can't beat the pilot house!!! My last boat was a w/a with full canvas and it was a like a greenhouse with the canvas up and had no protection at all with the canvas down.

I'm in the Tampa Bay area and agree with the others; the pilot house with opening windows is cooler than a center console with t-top. The shade is great, and as GrouperJim said, you can get out of the reflected UV. If your not underway and there is no wind a small fan is sufficient.

It's 90+ and humid today on the Chesapeake, was on the boat fishing from 10am till 3pm. The pilothouse was much cooler than the deck.
Joe da Dog settles on the vberth under the hatch and doesn't come out.

Leave it to a big dog to pick the coolest spot!!!!!!!

Looks like the pilot house myth has been busted by the guys here at Classic Parker! :lol: Most cooler with than without.

Samsam":vt6cq6e0 said:
I've been looking at pilothouse Parkers......

With the PH being a big plus as far as heat goes, the only thing I can think of that was a challenge compared to a center console was getting used to driving a PH the way it is designed to be driven.....meaning not driving it like a center console.

To appreciate the dry ride and expansive cockpit, riding as far forward as you are, you need to drive a little slower and keep your bow down into the chop. You can still go fast and get on top in certain spacing and have a comfortable ride......but not as often as a CC. I do enjoy the dry ride, large cockpit, and a day of fishing without being totally sun burned. 8)

96 degrees here on the bay yesterday. It was funny to see everyone sitting under the hardtop With the open front and side windows and open back we had a nice breeze going through 8)

Image-17AD8D1A2B2C11DB.jpg

I gotta get on here on CP more often!

Ditto about being cooler in the pilothouse than under a bimini. With the windows open on all four sides plus a 12V fan it is very livable except when there's no breeze.

Frequently, I get asked about if it is hot in the PH. My response: "What would you rather have between you and Mr. Sun: a 1/16" piece of Sunbrella or an insulated 1" fiberglass roof?" The answer is usually silence.........

Prior to the Osprey I had a 21' Dixie walkaround with a bimini with a full enclosure. Even in a cool rain it was like being in a plastic bag!
I have AC on the O24 (Mermaid Marine 5200 BTU) but lacking a generator I can only run it at dockside.....but it makes for comfortable sleeping!

Back