Problem filling gas tank: Parker 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kensmithjr11

Reaction score
Has anyone ever managed to solve the problem with the narrow fill tube which causes constant overflow spills. Unless you trickle gas into the tank??

Has anyone ever managed to solve the problem with the narrow fill tube which causes constant overflow spills. Unless you trickle gas into the tank??
Check inlet and vent hoses for crimps/kinks. We can fill with full-pressure on our 2520. On a past Diesel boat, we had to barely trickle the fuel in, and still had constant foaming/overflows. (Holding 300 gallons, in two 150 gal. tanks, it took an eternity to fuel up)... The problem was the fuel inlet hoses, and both of the tank vent hoses were crimped/kinked half-closed (or more) with one of the three 'support clamps'... I had checked them numerous times before, but only discovered the 'culprits' that was causing the issue, when doing a repair that required crawling into a space I had not been into before. I did not know the third supports existed, until then.

Last edited:
What year is the boat? More than 15 years old I'd change them.
Have the hoses been changed? If so the installer might have introduce a restriction.
Could be an insect nest.
Either way It's an easy fix.

My 2022 25SE has to be filled slowly as if I pump fast, the back pressure shuts the pump off. I have not seen fuel come out the vent and I also have never seen this black spill canister under the gunnel that could have something to do with allowing it to fill.

My new 1801 came from the factory and I could not put fuel in her! Bottom line the tank manufacturer allowed blockage of the fuel fill tube (slag blockage from welding). Parker and the tank manufacturer had a fix for it and my dealer had me back on the water in a week.

My new 1801 came from the factory and I could not put fuel in her! Bottom line the tank manufacturer allowed blockage of the fuel fill tube (slag blockage from welding). Parker and the tank manufacturer had a fix for it and my dealer had me back on the water in a week.
Actually it was the VENT tube that was stopped up not the fuel fill, but all is well now.

<I have heard that some people are removing the black can filter that is before the exterior vent and the problem is resolved. I think it is a charcoal type filter canister under the gunnel cause the back flow issue.>

Just so you know... that canister is to eliminate fuel vapor escaping. It is now required equipment.

If your "filter" is causing a backup then you may need to replace it. I have no idea what the expected life is.

I have heard that some people are removing the black can filter that is before the exterior vent and the problem is resolved. I think it is a charcoal type filter canister under the gunnel cause the back flow issue.
Don’t bother. I went through this already and it did not help. Finally got to the point I had to call the tank fabricator Florida Marine Tanks. They told me to remove one screw from the fuel sender and see if it fills properly. Well….it filled full speed and it was whistling out of that sender screw hole. Obviously, put the screw back, but they mailed my dealer another elbow to attach to the tank to create another vent in the tank. We then T’d the new vent hose into the original and problem solved. He confirmed that the welder may have caused the vent hole to be too small. That was in 2018. Amazing QA still lets them out the door since it has happened before. I’m sure it’s not often, but seems like an easy thing to check prior to shipping.

He confirmed that the welder may have caused the vent hole to be too small.
This doesn't seem right. I'm not understanding how a welder caused this? The fillet weld that attaches the tube/fitting to the tank is the last opportunity for a weld defect. Any fix that you did after this weld would mean that there is no restriction at the attachment point. Wouldn't this point to a restriction downstream in the vent line? Maybe I'm missing something?

Back