Repowering Parker 1801 with 150

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longislandfish

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has repowered their 1801 or 1800s with 150hp outboard. I am starting to look into replacing my F115 with a newer 4stroke motor. I was looking at the DF140a from Suzuki, it has lean burn tech, and is the same block as the 115. Same displacement, just with upgraded ecu.

the other I was looking at was the Pro xs 150 from mercury. It’s the lightest outboard in its class and puts out 165-169hp to the prop according to other posts.

lastly the Yamaha 150, however at almost 20k I’m sort of not even considering the Yamaha.

I also had a look at the new Suzuki 150ss which is a big block 3L outboard with different gear case ratio.

I’m leaning towards the mercury pro xs, a lot of good reviews excellent fuel economy, quieter than the Yamaha, and had the most hp and displacement out of all three. And priced very well

Look at the weight of all of them.

The DF 140 is what I'd go with.... 100lbs lighter . It has a unique Cowl from the 115.

I just explained this to my Vet yesterday.

Here is the difference in Suzuki.

Suzuki swings a Bigger prop than anyone else....And why I use Suzuki Props also.

Bigger prop is like Bigger tires....More traction.

It can do this because it has Lower gearing then all the others.....It also runs a Timing Chain in a oil bath......Not a timing belt.

I was recently was forced to repower my 2100. It had a 225. On the west coast big outboards are nowhere to be found so I reluctantly had to go with a Mercury 150.
I was pleasantly surprised. Im still getting 37mph WOT and the hole shot is good (about 3 seconds). Im very happy, a little shocked to be honest. Top speed isnt important to me as its a rare moment that I can run faster than 22mph out here. It came proped with a 15 X 15. I still have the fancy stainless steel four blade prop from the Prop Gods that I might sell.
I got the standard 150. Not sure what the difference in Pro XS other than the cool decals.

Your not repowering to go faster are you?

Partly yes, but mostly to get a better cruise speed. A friend of mine has a 22 1801 with a Yamaha 150, he’s getting 35mph at 4400 rpm 6gph. Wot is 45-48mph. I boat in the sound where there are time where I am able to operate WOT, not a rare occasion but yes I would like more usable power and a higher top end and cruise speed. If I’m being honest, if I could I’d hang a 200ho engine on it lol

A member here has an 18' with a 200 merc on it. Not much faster on the top end but does use more fuel!
For the trouble of the 150 and new rigging I don't think the benefits warrant the expense. Maybe a different prop night be a better way to go. I've been pondering dropping to a 15P (from 17P)
https://turningpointpropellers.com/_CONTENT/express-stainless-steel-boat-propellers.php

Yes I have played around with many props and the results are pretty much the same. The best combo for me was a 16p SCD4. I have tried the 19k 17k and 15p SCD3 as well. Also have run the SCD4 in a 15p good for heavier loads, but the fastest prop out of the hole and no loss of top end is the SCD4 16p

Latest posts

Back