Steering Wheel Knob Recommendations

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a knob for about a week. Despite best intentions, on a boat with hydraulic steering and a somewhat vertical wheel mounting (like in a Parker Pilot House) that knob is eventually gonna park itself at 6 o’clock, which on my boat is smack dab in the way. This becomes particularly noticeable if you make long runs on the autopilot and the entire time the knob is migrating, it confuses the autopilot with an ever so slight steering impute. I gifted mine Simpson Knob to a friend with a center console, that has a more horizontal mounting of the wheel then my pilot house….
That’s very interesting. I never even thought that a knob could pose enough of a resistance to mess up an autopilot. Was it causing the autopilot to behave erratically? Or was it tripping out the override sensor/SteadySteer/ShadowDrive/etc.?

That’s very interesting. I never even thought that a knob could pose enough of a resistance to mess up an autopilot. Was it causing the autopilot to behave erratically? Or was it tripping out the override sensor/SteadySteer/ShadowDrive/etc.?
My theory, just an ever so slight of an input was created by the wheel turning enough to partially unseat the fluid check valve in the helm. The autopilot was not “erratic” but slightly sloppier in correcting. If you have ever turned the wheel without disengaging the autopilot and then released the wheel, the autopilot takes a seconds or 2 to correct. While that knob was in transit, the autopilot behaved in a similar but much more subtle way.

Once the knob parked at 6, the knob had no impact on autopilot performance but I have an Arrigoni Helm Seat that takes up a lot more room then the stock helm seat. When the knob parked at 6 o’clock, it was always in the way. I’m on autopilot at least 85% of the time if not more while underway and any small benefit that knob might have provided when docking or maneuvering the boat was greatly overshadowed by it almost always being in the way…..

Last edited:
I tried a knob for about a week. Despite best intentions, on a boat with hydraulic steering and a somewhat vertical wheel mounting (like in a Parker Pilot House) that knob is eventually gonna park itself at 6 o’clock, which on my boat is smack dab in the way. This becomes particularly noticeable if you make long runs on the autopilot and the entire time the knob is migrating, it confuses the autopilot with an ever so slight steering impute. I gifted mine Simpson Knob to a friend with a center console, that has a more horizontal mounting of the wheel then my pilot house….
I have a 21se and often consider removing the steering knob. It's kind of nice, sometimes, I guess, but over al I feel like I can maneuver fine with just the wheel and the knob seems to always be in my way, rubbing against my body when I'm standing or just in the way of my hands when I'm using the wheel.

I have a 21se and often consider removing the steering knob. It's kind of nice, sometimes, I guess, but over al I feel like I can maneuver fine with just the wheel and the knob seems to always be in my way, rubbing against my body when I'm standing or just in the way of my hands when I'm using the wheel.

I wanted to “like” the knob I put on my wheel. It looked nice, but in terms of any benefit compared to inconvenience, the inconvenience dominated and was the reason why the knob only lasted a week on my boat.

The other inconvenient truth, there really was very little need for it. I back in and out of my slip, typically without the need for any overly dramatic manipulation of the wheel and docking was the only instance I could come up with for needing a knob in the 1st place.

I wanted to “like” the knob I put on my wheel. It looked nice, but in terms of any benefit compared to inconvenience, the inconvenience dominated and was the reason why the knob only lasted a week on my boat.

The other inconvenient truth, there really was very little need for it. I back in and out of my slip, typically without the need for any overly dramatic manipulation of the wheel and docking was the only instance I could come up with for needing a knob in the 1st place.
I agree with a lot of the 'knob' comments, both pro and con. My 2-cents (being in my 70's, with bad arthritic hands) the knob is much easier to grasp, than just grabbing the wheel itself; especially in cold weather. (Cold weather makes mt hands hurt more). For me, this is true both docking, and even just running in general. The knob on the inside station does occasionally bump my leg/knee when sitting. Although irritating, it's not been an overriding issue for me. I've had Edson knobs on my past boats. Although it was not needed so much on our last boat (with the Wagner commercial-duty hydraulic steering system I could turn the wheel with my 'pinky-finger' if I wanted to). On our boat before that, the mechanical system was so bad it REQUIRED a knob to turn, and to hold the wheel on course.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of the 'knob' comments, both pro and con. My 2-cents (being in my 70's, with bad arthritic hands) the knob is much easier to grasp, than just grabbing the wheel itself; especially in cold weather. For me, this is true both docking, and even just running in general. The knob on the inside station does occasionally bump my leg/knee when sitting. Although irritating, it's not been an overriding issue for me. I've had Edson knobs on my past boats. Although it was not needed so much on our last boat (with the Wagner commercial-duty hydraulic steering system I could turn the wheel with my 'pinky-finger' if I wanted to). On our boat before that, the mechanical system was so bad it REQUIRED a knob to turn, and to hold the wheel on course.
Anybody have this same wheel? How do they like it?

Attachments

• IMG_4021.png
    IMG_4021.png
    637.2 KB · Views: 0
THAT is the one you want in 13in.... Knob is in the Rim..... Not in the Spoke... They make them both ways and you have to be careful if you need a 2nd for a second station to buy the same Thing.... Ask me how I know. :)

I would love to have a knob about the diameter of a quarter that sticks out an inch (in the cabin). Something flush that popped out in an ink pen-type action when wanted would be insane. Pop it out during low speed maneuvers.

I would love to have a knob about the diameter of a quarter that sticks out an inch (in the cabin). Something flush that popped out in an ink pen-type action when wanted would be insane. Pop it out during low speed maneuvers.
That is really a great concept/idea! Draw up a diagram, get a patent, and sell the idea to Edson or one of the other manufacturers.

Back